Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/8/2005 2:30:31 AM EDT
I've been living here for the past 3 years. I am from New Hampshire, and still a resident of said state. Since I am not a resident of Alaska do I still fall under Alaska's laws regarding concealed carry since I do live here? Or do I have to be a resident in order to take advantage of Alaska's CCW laws?

Might be a dumb question, but I want to keep my butt out of trouble.

Thanks, Derek
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:18:54 AM EDT
I don't believe you have to be a resident to apply. I would look into it more as that is just my interpertation of the law. I would hope you wouldn't get any shit for it either way, but I guess it depends on what the officer ate for breakfast that morning.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2005 3:32:40 PM EDT by AK_Mike]
While there is no CCH permit issuing for non-residents, I believe the law says that anyone who can legally carry a firearm may carry concealed.

Information and links here --> www.packing.org/state/alaska/

HB 102,

This bill took effect June 11, 2003 and changes Alaska Statute 11.61.220 to allow anyone who may legally possess a firearm can carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit if 21 years of age or older. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may still obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states or want to continue to be exempt from background checks when purchasing firearms. The effective date of this law change is September 9th, 2003. For more information contact the Permits & Licensing Unit at 907 269-0392

Alaska Constitution
Article I Sec 1.19
Right to Keep and Bear Arms

A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Damn I love this state!

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:00:16 PM EDT
I also believe what AK_Mike has to say. Have you changed your drivers license over? Have you been missing out on the PFD checks? Why have you lived here for three years and not changed your residents?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:01:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2005 1:04:00 AM EDT by sledhead907]

Originally Posted By arcticbear:
I also believe what AK_Mike has to say. Have you changed your drivers license over? Have you been missing out on the PFD checks? Why have you lived here for three years and not changed your residents?

1. No, I have a New Hampshire drivers licence

2. No, I haven't tried to collect the PFD

3. Long story...basically I haven't seen the need to

AK_Mike...thanks!! Sounds to me it doesn't matter what state you are a residet in. The second you cross into Alaska you fall under Alaska state law (regarding firearms/concealed carry).

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:03:30 AM EDT

we need more people like you
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:30:20 AM EDT
I agree with Alaskagrown and thank you for not collecting the PFD. You are short changing yourself by not changing over to Alaska. I just wonder why you would not, unless you are military. There are many reasons to change over your residents to Alaska. Money to buy a new rifle each year or ammo or a nice trip to Hawaii each year. Also if you have any kids they too get a PFD, it is a simple way to pay for school later. It is also the law that you have to change your residence if you decide to stay and live in Alaska. Depending if you are living or working it is 30 or 90 days time limit. This helps us get more federal funding for the roads and other things. Does New Hampshire have a state income tax? If it does are you still obligated to pay it? All of these and many other reasons are why you should throw caution to the wind and join the rest of us as residents of the Great State of Alaska.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:53:57 AM EDT
AK is the place to be.
HI really sucks..
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:21:02 AM EDT
I have spent sometime in Hi and find it very nice. HI is a nice break from winters in AK.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:16:00 PM EDT

I agree with Alaskagrown and thank you for not collecting the PFD. You are short changing yourself by not changing over to Alaska. I just wonder why you would not, unless you are military. There are many reasons to change over your residents to Alaska. Money to buy a new rifle each year or ammo or a nice trip to Hawaii each year. Also if you have any kids they too get a PFD, it is a simple way to pay for school later. It is also the law that you have to change your residence if you decide to stay and live in Alaska. Depending if you are living or working it is 30 or 90 days time limit. This helps us get more federal funding for the roads and other things. Does New Hampshire have a state income tax? If it does are you still obligated to pay it? All of these and many other reasons are why you should throw caution to the wind and join the rest of us as residents of the Great State of Alaska.

New Hampshire does not have a state income tax...which is why I haven't taken the time to change it over. I am military and have another year and a half on my enlistment; all of which are going to be spent up here.
I love it up here!! And want to stay up here. After my enlistment is up I would like to join the Air Guard either up here (Fairbanks) or down in Anchorage. Depending on if I am able to get a job with them will determine if I change my residency over. If I get a job in the Guard I will start collecting the PFD since I wont have the threat of having to PCS in 2-4 years.

Personally (this is just me) I have a problem with military people being stationed up here for only 3 years and collecting the PFD. Correct me if I am wrong but the more people that apply, the lower the PFD will be because it has to be spread out over more people. I believe that military people that are only up here for a set number of years (3 being the norm) shouldn't collect the PFD because it was not put in place for them in the first place...but that's just my opinion and I hope no one takes it personally.

I apologize about all the slow replies. I browse this site all night at work, but can't log in and reply to your responses.

--Derek

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:55:51 PM EDT
IT will be great to have another Alaskan shooter up here. Best wishes with the Guard.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:05:08 PM EDT

Personally (this is just me) I have a problem with military people being stationed up here for only 3 years and collecting the PFD. Correct me if I am wrong but the more people that apply, the lower the PFD will be because it has to be spread out over more people. I believe that military people that are only up here for a set number of years (3 being the norm) shouldn't collect the PFD because it was not put in place for them in the first place...but that's just my opinion and I hope no one takes it personally.

You are correct. The more people that get approved the smaller the amount. And I completely agree with you. Its the same for people that come up here for school and turn around and leave.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:40:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sledhead907:

New Hampshire does not have a state income tax...which is why I haven't taken the time to change it over. I am military and have another year and a half on my enlistment; all of which are going to be spent up here.
I love it up here!! And want to stay up here. After my enlistment is up I would like to join the Air Guard either up here (Fairbanks) or down in Anchorage. Depending on if I am able to get a job with them will determine if I change my residency over. If I get a job in the Guard I will start collecting the PFD since I wont have the threat of having to PCS in 2-4 years.

I apologize about all the slow replies. I browse this site all night at work, but can't log in and reply to your responses.

--Derek

Man Derek, we gotta go shooting tomorrow. If you happen to be surfing, call me tomorrow at 4886932.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:26:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2005 12:27:14 AM EDT by sledhead907]
^^^ IM inbound!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:22:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:

we need more people like you

Man, 5 years ago I was in a store and the guy asked if I was from Minnasota. I told him yeah, just got off the plane last week and also put in for MY dividend check.

Thought I was going to get lynched!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:05:45 AM EDT
I can't believe there's a state out there that:

1) Has no income tax
2) Has no property tax
3) Has no sales tax
4) Pays you a dividend check to live there
5) is clean and unpolluted
6) has no laws regulating the carrying of concealed weapons
7) is Class III OK

It's just such a world away from CA I just can't believe it! They say the weather in AK sucks... but I looked up the weather in Juneau and it didn't seem that bad. Now, if only the job market there was a little better...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:45:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 11:46:34 AM EDT by sledhead907]

Originally Posted By blackrazor:
I can't believe there's a state out there that:

1) Has no income tax
2) Has no property tax
3) Has no sales tax Towns like North Pole charge you a sales tax
4) Pays you a dividend check to live there
5) is clean and unpolluted
6) has no laws regulating the carrying of concealed weapons There are laws. That say we can
7) is Class III OK

It's just such a world away from CA I just can't believe it! They say the weather in AK sucks... but I looked up the weather in Juneau and it didn't seem that bad. Now, if only the job market there was a little better...

Top Top