Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/30/2022 7:44:06 PM EDT
wtf?

74 year Old Akron Resident Shoots Home Invader

...why the mention of "criminal charges" against a homeowner when an intruder breaks down his front door and rushes him?...

Am I on Planet Earth or what?

Should the homeowner have offered the guy a beer and maybe his throat?

Or, are we playing these silly word game that the intruder was a "yout" so this crap is OK?

16 y/o kicking in a front door of an occupied residence...

notice how Cleveland's "Channel 3 News" visually covers the story: CSA flag, close up of gun safes, etc.

what if the homeowner had a BLM or Antifa flag up? he'd be lauded as a saint...

Akron man shoots alleged teen intruder inside his home

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Lurch taking out the trash with his 380 Luger.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know, right?  I agree with shotar that he shouldn't be giving interviews at the moment but I have to admit I found his comments entertaining.

"Those shots were good," Lurch said during an interview with 19 News. "I don't like people breaking into my home.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
What protection does the Ohio Castle Doctrine offer this guy?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I imagine the thought is that the guy was "retreating" down into the basement when he fired.

That's pretty weak and any competent lawyer should be able to make the case for "reasonable fear of severe injury or death" with an unknown individual breaking into your home, especially for a 74 year-old. I'm sure questions about why he didn't retreat out the way he came or why he didn't stop and try to prove he wasn't a threat will come up, too.

Even IF the case will fly with a prosecutor, I doubt it will with a jury. I doubt he'll see the inside of a courtroom over this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pretty strong protection if he keeps his mouth shut. The state has to prove that his use of lethal force was not reasonable under the specific circumstances of the incident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What protection does the Ohio Castle Doctrine offer this guy?

Pretty strong protection if he keeps his mouth shut. The state has to prove that his use of lethal force was not reasonable under the specific circumstances of the incident.
This. Looks like a good shoot but WTF is he doing talking to reporters
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Indeed.  Never, ever, ever, talk to the media.  Or the police without your hired lawyer present.  Remember - the first thing out of a cop's mouth when they shoot someone is - I want to talk to my union lawyer - and they do this for a living.  Learn from their actions.

There's no good that would ever come from talking with the media.  In this case (as much as you can tell from an article where they talk about a .380 Luger), there are the following statements the homeowner made (or didn't make - media types make up quotes all the time):

and when the suspect did not leave, he opened fire. - makes it sound like the criminal was shot for not leaving, and not because the homeowner was in fear of his life.

“He dives down the basement, as I put lead in him going down the steps,” he said. - horrible, horrible statement.  Opens the homeowner up to the idea that he shot the criminal when the criminal was running away, and that the homeowner enjoyed the shooting, as he's talking about "putting lead in him".

Those shots were good,” Lurch said during an interview with 19 News. “I don’t like people breaking into my home.” - No one likes their house being broken into, but you need to present the case that you were in fear for your life while in your home, not that you don't like burglar and shoot them.

Never talk to the media, ever.  And after the initial shooting, only say this to the police "He broke into my home and I was in fear for my life so I defended myself.  I will say nothing else about it until I consult my attorney, and I wish to contact them right now.  I exercise my right to remain silent from here".  Then let your attorney tell your side of the case.

Remember, if you are attacked by a criminal and defend yourself, you will need to protect yourself twice.  First from the criminal.  Second from the criminal justice system.  The second is as dangerous to your life, liberty, and property as the first.  Both have no regard for you, and will ruin your life for the slightest gain.  That goes from Officer Friendly who shows up on the scene and pretends to be your best friend, to the prosecutor who's trying to up his win percentage, to the elected District Attorney who would send you to jail for life in return for a 0.1% bump in the polls.  

The assault on you doesn't end when the shooting stops - it's just the second phase.  Be as prepared for it as the shootout.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2022 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Home owner might catch a break on this. Normally, I think the Prosecutor might try and push it, but with the crime rate in the area and rumors of the home invader having active warrants/several priors, this is pretty toxic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
They'll claim that the home owner is rascist due to having a Confeeate flag on his wall.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top