Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2006 6:16:15 PM EDT
Any NY members have or are ordering an Akins Accelerator?  There may be some legal issue with this device in NY so caution is advised.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]

There may be some legal issue with this device in NY so caution is advised.

After just watching the demo video, I wouldn't touch one of those things living in this pisspot State.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd buy one... if it was about $900 cheaper.

Thing is, you could NEVER use the thing. Even if it was 100% legal, you'd still end up in cuffs and court trying to prove it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
why?  what's the problem?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4a0mB8fDrs
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
That looks like fun...I'd like one...don't think I'd want the hassle...I'm still saving for my RDIAS purchase the minute I move back home ...of course by that time the price will probably be even more insane then it is now!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a great way to damage your gun. Because the barrel literally recoils inside the stock I can't imagine it lasting very long.

The prototype broke during BATF testing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm shocked they did as well.  

Two points, while it's not cheap, it's a whole hell of a lot cheaper than a legal registered setup. Either way, too much money to waste ammo.  After the first brick or two the novelty is gone.

Second question... that YouTube video.. did they put that out? Why wait for negative PR, lets start our own!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
It costs $1,000 just for the stock alone. Still cheaper than anything thats currently C3 registered. But a grand......eh, I'll stick to bumpin'.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't see how that is legal with the way the atf is
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be really curious to see how this plays out...if there is money to be made then it is only a matter of time before other stocks (for other guns) are made...sooner or later they are going to get some unwanted attention, but there will already be some of these out there by that point...I'm very interested to see what happens with them and any spinoffs that there might be...heck if I wasn't in NY I might want to give it a try...as long as I could get a letter from ATF
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#12]
For now, assume it's legal under Federal law, but poses a serious potential issue under NY law.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
For now, assume it's legal under Federal law, but poses a serious potential issue under NY law.  

Can you elaborate?  What NYS law would prohibit this device?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like it if it was cheaper, but he's probably pricing it high right now so some dumbfuck newsteam doesn't just buy it and mate it with a 10/22 and do a segment on it and go "OMG, machineguns in my backyard!?!?!?" for pennies. Then again, stuff like this has been around for awhile (probably not as "handy" as this, like those wierd pseudo-bumfiring aids and mini-cranks), long enough to only be banned in two states after even all these years. Mating it with a 22lr rifle used by all ages, incomes and degrees of politics would also serve as a obstruction to the device making people go after the 10/22 becuase they can go "machinegun". Hell, even in CA/UK/etc rimfires are exempt from the AWB or other things that stifle centerfire guns.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Its the "One pull, one shot fired" doctrine. The rifle retains its semiauto status because pulling the trigger one time results in only one round being fired.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Can you elaborate? What NYS law would prohibit this device?

Im also very interested to find out with some degree of specificity why this would be trouble in NY. It seems as if they have done their homework and know which states this is legal in and which states it is not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Read Article 265 and you'll see the troublesome language in the definition of machinegun that does not appear in the Federal statute.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Read Article 265 and you'll see the troublesome language in the definition of machinegun that does not appear in the Federal statute.

i wouldnt kno where to find this and i would be greatful if you could either post a link or post the definition if you could ?  ive considered purchasing this but am also afraid of reprocussions .. thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its the "One pull, one shot fired" doctrine. The rifle retains its semiauto status because pulling the trigger one time results in only one round being fired.

but isn't an electric switch on a motor that causes the motor to repeatedly pull the trigger illegal if the motor keeps pulling as long as the switch is held?
itsn' this a similar situation? because that guy's finger stayed held back on the stock's "trigger" and the gun kept firing
if the ATF classifies a shoestring as making a MG I can't see them allowing this for very long
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top