Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2009 3:19:22 AM EDT
Who is going to be at the airshow this weekend at Ellington?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Who is going to be at the airshow this weekend at Ellington?

The Blue Angels    
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I was hoping to go this year but it looks like I will have to work.

Is CHL prohibited at Ellington Field?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be there unless the weather is bad.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I think i will be there.  How bad will traffic be getting there for the early shows?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
We will be there.

My son is counting the hours until we get there to see all the planes and the Blue Angels....  (as is Dad!)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Definitely.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be flying Lone Star Flight Museum's B-25 "Special Delivery".
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely.

How so?
Is it posted 30.06?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could go but I cannot afford to. The Blue Angels kick ass. I remember seeing them at Ellington back in the early to mid 1970's when Ellington was still an active AFB. I believe they were flying A-4' Skyhawks back then.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely.

How so?
Is it posted 30.06?

I think it's still home to air national guard. Treat it like a military installation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw the Blue Angels flying around earlier today.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll be flying Lone Star Flight Museum's B-25 "Special Delivery".

More info please!

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I saw the Blue Angels flying around earlier today.

I kept hearing them buzz by, but didn't ever get a good look thanks to the low clouds.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be there.  Hope the weather is nice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are no metal detectors. Last few times I was there, there were no gate guards or anything. As for the air show, I can't comment if they will be searching people, but I doubt they will.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
a little late posting this, but i just now saw it....  

i think that if the weather is "right" on fridays before the show, they do a runthrough or practice.  i saw them do this twice in the 90's.  they use friday to help with landmarks and timing etc.

i was out at ellington field once and saw them flying some of the "regular" airplanes and a group was gathered near the end of one of the runways...   so i pulled over to see what they were looking at.  everone was standing in the back of someone's pickup to get a better view....  i asked permission to come aboard and the owner said sure.  they said the blue angels would be doing a practice show for the handicapped, the boyscouts, local Jr. ROTC's etc..  so i decied to wait and watch.   the cool thing was the ower of the pick-up truck had a ham radio set-up and could get the channel the pilots were talking on....   this was a real treat to hear what the "boss" and the other pilots are saying to each other as they go through their routine.  one of the coolest things i ever got to do....  granted we were not on the side of the runway like at the real show,  but who cares this was really cool...  

anyone else know if they still do this on fridays?  

S
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
a little late posting this, but i just now saw it....  

i think that if the weather is "right" on fridays before the show, they do a runthrough or practice.  i saw them do this twice in the 90's.  they use friday to help with landmarks and timing etc.

i was out at ellington field once and saw them flying some of the "regular" airplanes and a group was gathered near the end of one of the runways...   so i pulled over to see what they were looking at.  everone was standing in the back of someone's pickup to get a better view....  i asked permission to come aboard and the owner said sure.  they said the blue angels would be doing a practice show for the handicapped, the boyscouts, local Jr. ROTC's etc..  so i decied to wait and watch.   the cool thing was the ower of the pick-up truck had a ham radio set-up and could get the channel the pilots were talking on....   this was a real treat to hear what the "boss" and the other pilots are saying to each other as they go through their routine.  one of the coolest things i ever got to do....  granted we were not on the side of the runway like at the real show,  but who cares this was really cool...  

anyone else know if they still do this on fridays?  

S

Cancelled the Special Show on Friday due to weather.

However the weekend should be GREAT!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]
This sounds more and more like a nonsecured area of an airport
so 30-06 chl should be ok.  Right?
In the base area no.  But that is past a guard shack and you won't get in there without a pass or clearance
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the base area no.  But that is past a guard shack and you won't get in there without a pass or clearance

Troops from the Texas State Guard will be at each gate performing screening.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is on the flightline, so it is secure area of the airport.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"To minimize imposition it is recommended that Airshow patrons bring only necessary items on
their person and limit the size and contents of allowed carry-in items for expedited inspection
by security staff.

Due to heightened security regulations and for everyone’s personal safety, NO tote bags, back
packs, containers, or coolers will be allowed on the field. A cooler is anything designed to
insulate. All bags are subject to search.

In addition, NO pets, no unauthorized weapons of any kind, no illegal drugs, no smoking, no
glass or metal containers, no alcoholic beverages. No tents, canopies or cooking equipment. No
bikes, skateboards, scooters, in line skates, or unauthorized golf carts.
Any food or drink must be in clear plastic container or bag for quick inspection.
Loose ice is prohibited. Frozen ice packs are allowed.

Airshow concession stands feature a wide variety of food and beverage options for your
convenience.

"
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not under Texas law.  

Texas Penal Code

Sec. 46.03.  PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(5)  in or into a secured area of an airport; or

(2)  "Secured area" means an area of an airport terminal building to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property under federal law.

Of course if it is on a Military Base, then federal laws and rules apply.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:05:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#26]
The No Backpacks Gotcha Got Us!

Didn't see it anywhere on the website, just no coolers.

So when we walked up with all the gotta haves for four kids (my two and my niece and nephew) we ended up having to transfer our stuff over to a trash bag we had brought to keep our area policed up and clean.

The Texas State Guardsmen running the check point were sorry, but only following the rules.

Also take the BAY AREA park & Ride - When leaving the show the line for the Fuqua park & ride was easy a quarter mile, while we just walked up and onto the Bay Area Bus at the end of the show!

BE PREPARED!!

ALSO - If anyone going Sunday will pick up a program for my son, I'll gladly  pay you for the Program and the" cool beverage" of your choice is on me (for the help).  

My niece and nephew were having "meltdowns" (parents don't discipline them so Uncle Hammer seemed way to harsh not buying them every bit of candy, ice cream and sugar crap on the planet) and so thus we didn't walk souvenir row, but my son was so good that I kick myself that I didn't grabbed a program so he would remember what a GREAT time we had.

Have Fun!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Traffic was a complete nightmare today.  I could not believe how unprepared the city was for the # of people who showed up.  I can't believe how bad the parking was handled by the sheriff deputies and HPD.  We waited in line in traffic for about 45 minutes coming from Hwy 3 south.  When we got to where we should turn to park, the deputies would not let us turn (right) off of Hwy 3, but they let people who were on Dixie Farm rd (I think that is what it is called) continue to cross 3 and enter the parking area.  Super.  There was no other option for cars in my line.  I wound up parking about a mile down the road on the side of the road.  Unbelievable.  To all the LEOs working the show, do not think you did a good job today.  I blame you people and your superiors (sp) for this absolute cluster.  For shame.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's a few pics from the Blue Angels show Sunday Link
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Those are some great pictures of the Blues all righty!!

Did you get similar pictures of the Horsemen or the warbird flypasts?

I didn't get many pictures I wanted (sorting out fighting niece & nephew most of the show)

We got a late start getting to the show (Came in right after Tora Tora Tora) but taking the shuttle bus was money well spent!

We zoomed in and out without the hassle of the parking lot and it's huge post show super jam!

If anyone out there has a Program they would like to sell (for my son), please let me know and I'll be glad to purchase it and buy you the beverage(s) of your choice!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I seriously, SERIOUSLY hate you guys right now.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't know if anyone came by but I was down on the south end with the military camp. I had a display of WWII weapons and helmets and grenades and stuff layed out on the flag of their originn ( US, UK, USSR, Gemrnay, Japan). What a gorgeous weekend. We camped their Fri and Sat in my
GP Small tent. I got to show a bunch of kids and adults my collection and go into the history of the weapons and such.... tiring but great fun!
And lots of women-folk to gawk at to boot!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Bigger Hammer,

PM me an address and I'll mail my program to you for free.  I'll even add last year's if you want!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top