Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 8:40:20 AM EDT
§ 14‑316.  Permitting young children to use dangerous firearms.

(a)       It shall be unlawful for any parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis, to knowingly permit his child under the age of 12 years to have the possession, custody or use in any manner whatever, any gun, pistol or other dangerous firearm, whether such weapon be loaded or unloaded, except when such child is under the supervision of the parent, guardian or person standing in loco parentis.  It shall be unlawful for any other person to knowingly furnish such child any weapon enumerated herein.  Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(b)       Air rifles, air pistols, and BB guns shall not be deemed "dangerous firearms" within the meaning of subsection (a) of this section except in the following counties:  Anson, Caldwell, Caswell, Chowan, Cleveland, Cumberland, Durham, Forsyth, Gaston, Harnett, Haywood, Mecklenburg, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Union, Vance. (1913, c. 32; C.S., s. 4441; 1965, c. 813; 1971, c. 309; 1993, c. 539, s. 218; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Does this mean you cannot loan a child an air gun to shoot cans in the yard?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
§ 14‑316.  Permitting young children to use dangerous firearms.

(a)       It shall be unlawful for any parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis, to knowingly permit his child under the age of 12 years to have the possession, custody or use in any manner whatever, any gun, pistol or other dangerous firearm, whether such weapon be loaded or unloaded, except when such child is under the supervision of the parent, guardian or person standing in loco parentis.  It shall be unlawful for any other person to knowingly furnish such child any weapon enumerated herein.  Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(b)       Air rifles, air pistols, and BB guns shall not be deemed "dangerous firearms" within the meaning of subsection (a) of this section except in the following counties:  Anson, Caldwell, Caswell, Chowan, Cleveland, Cumberland, Durham, Forsyth, Gaston, Harnett, Haywood, Mecklenburg, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Union, Vance. (1913, c. 32; C.S., s. 4441; 1965, c. 813; 1971, c. 309; 1993, c. 539, s. 218; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Does this mean you cannot loan a child an air gun to shoot cans in the yard?

Only if the child is unsupervised and in one of the listed counties. Wouldn't you still want to be with a child that is under 12 when they are shooting a air rifle? Best time in the world to start the golden rules for shooting and it's a blast to see the kids learn!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I dunno.

What about Ralphie going alone out back and shooting a Red Ryder??
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The way I read it is BB guns air rifles etc. are fine for all ages except in the counties listed in section (b).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]
"the supervision of the parent" is a very broad statement.  Statements like that one are also present int he NFA/machine gun/silencer laws.  Generally speaking it means On the Premises.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I dunno.

What about Ralphie going alone out back and shooting a Red Ryder??

Check your calendar - what year was that?   Don't get me started - I'll trade all the so-called modern advances to go back to that time....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised Caswell County is on the list. I assumed their rustic population wouldn't be bliss-ninnies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top