Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2017 9:35:38 AM EDT
I came across this guy in polk county. He is a police officer, swat member and competitive shooter. He is now doing training classes and the rates are pretty dang affordable. Just figured I throw it here for anyone interested.

https://www.facebook.com/FarewellFirearms/
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice to see competent training options that are affordable. Not knocking the top folks in the training industry, as I've trained with some, but not everyone can swing a $600/$800 class... plus ammo, travel, etc.

I believe there are great competent training opportunities that are affordable to the point where there are no legitimate excuses for not getting some training. It's why I started my thing...

Hell... we have a guy local to me who offered FREE training to ALL those in Public Safety... he stopped because only one or two people consistently showed up. I see the same problems when I offer affordable classes... people "say" they want to come but then at the last minute they cancel.

Based on the guys FB post, he is starting to see this issue...
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I know I plan to attend the defense pistol and carbine classes myself. But my schedule hasn't lined up yet with being off from the FD and my wife being off from the hospital to watch our son. But first time my schedule lines up I'll be there for sure. And nail on the head about the half a mortgage payment class. No offense to those guys but I think atleast half the folks just cant swing that. Thats why when I learned of joe I definitely thought it was worth posting!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the idea of his classes and the affordability. Only thing I wish he would include in the event info is more information, what exactly will be being taught, what do I have to bring with me, how much ammo will I need, and will I need any special equipment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have his email to anyone that wants it. I think if i recall correctly he suggest atleast 250rds. I know he has some steel and those rubber dummies for the defensive class cause I saw one video that he did.

Anyways anyone needing his email just email me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for posting this.  Looks pretty cool, although I do wish the classes were a bit longer, if you going to pack it all up and make the trip.  Although I don't think he's very far from St. Pete.

I have been really wanting to do a class with Signal 0, who has GREAT prices, but our scheduled just haven't been able to mesh.  The only class he's having this spring so far and I am out of town that weekend.

But def will keep an eye on FareWell Firearms.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I decided to take his Carbine Fundamentals class that will be on the 26th. This will be my first class of any kind so I won't have any prior classes to compare to but I'll be sure to give an update on my experience. I can already tell from some Facebook messages with him that he is very helpful with those who haven't attended his classes before. I asked what I would need ammo wise and what all I would need and he quickly responded, this particular class requires atleast 250rds(I plan on bringing atleast 500rds), 2-3 magazines minimum(I'll be bringing atleast 5 including some lesser known brands I want to test out), a sling and your carbine are what is required, he added that if anyone wants to train with a chest rig or anything of the like that they can do so and he will assist with training with any additional equipment that they bring, I'm sure within reason of course.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I decided to take his Carbine Fundamentals class that will be on the 26th. This will be my first class of any kind so I won't have any prior classes to compare to but I'll be sure to give an update on my experience. I can already tell from some Facebook messages with him that he is very helpful with those who haven't attended his classes before. I asked what I would need ammo wise and what all I would need and he quickly responded, this particular class requires atleast 250rds(I plan on bringing atleast 500rds), 2-3 magazines minimum(I'll be bringing atleast 5 including some lesser known brands I want to test out), a sling and your carbine are what is required, he added that if anyone wants to train with a chest rig or anything of the like that they can do so and he will assist with training with any additional equipment that they bring, I'm sure within reason of course.
View Quote

I think you're in for a good time... BUT... I'd not "try out" new magazines/gear DURING class. I'm not talking about clothing, mag holders, chest rigs, etc.  Try that stuff out during down time or free range time.

As an instructor, and even more so as a paying student, it's quite aggravating to have class stop while someone works through a magazine or gear issue that could have been identified before a class.

I tried to come get him to train with us at SWAT (give a class) but it did not work out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I've been using these mags at the range quite a bit without an issue, I'm also going to bring quite a few known reliable mags, PMAGs and D&H aluminum mags, so if I feel there will be an issue I can swap out for other mags.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I know Joseph well and have shot with him several times out at his family's private range. Really good guy and knows his stuff
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know Joseph well and have shot with him several times out at his family's private range. Really good guy and knows his stuff
View Quote

Yeah, the guy is a class act.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is good to hear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]
How was class?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Class was tons of fun, for my first class it was a great experience. I learned a lot and definitely saw improvement. I got there a little early and got to talk to Joe for a bit before the class and he is a hell of a nice guy, he is also a member here on ARFCOM and I mentioned this thread and I'll be sending him a link to it so he can post too. Class sizes he keeps small which is nice cause there's lots of one on one time and when we are doing drills one at a time it doesn't eat up a ton of the class time.

Overall I really enjoyed the class and will be taking more in the future.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad to hear it was a great time. I cant wait to hope my work/childcare schedule lines up fpr a available day off when he is doing a class.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea we went through a ton of the fundamentals, spent a good bit of time working on mag changes and everyone in the class(all 3 of us) found that even some of our higher end mags didn't seat well on a closed bolt and a full mag. Every PMAG, Troy mag, and D&H mag I brought had trouble I had to strip a few rounds out of a PMAG and Troy mag to get them to seat for the drill. Shot from multiple positions at 50yds, used a 9 hole board at 50, 100, and 150yds doing different drills. All in all a great class and I found a few things I need to work on and a few things to do to my rifle to make it work better in a non bench shooting scenario.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the report.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yea we went through a ton of the fundamentals, spent a good bit of time working on mag changes and everyone in the class(all 3 of us) found that even some of our higher end mags didn't seat well on a closed bolt and a full mag. Every PMAG, Troy mag, and D&H mag I brought had trouble I had to strip a few rounds out of a PMAG and Troy mag to get them to seat for the drill. Shot from multiple positions at 50yds, used a 9 hole board at 50, 100, and 150yds doing different drills. All in all a great class and I found a few things I need to work on and a few things to do to my rifle to make it work better in a non bench shooting scenario.
View Quote

I was there Sunday too and second everything said here. I got home and found my M3 PMags and they were a heck of a lot easier to seat in my SR15 Mod 2 than the M2s I was using in class.  I'll probably run them exclusively next time. All in all a fun time and good chance to work on fundamentals and manipulation under the stress of a timer. Also definitely need to work on my flexibility lol. I'll be taking one of Joe's handgun classes next, for sure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]
He has a 2 day intro to 3 gun coming up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:03:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He has a 2 day intro to 3 gun coming up.
View Quote

Should also add with the price of the 2 day intro you get into a 3 gun match and will be able to be coached by Joe while doing the match.

I wish I had the means for this 3 gun training but maybe in the future.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you guys for the feedback and reviews! The carbine class was a good time and I fully intend to run some more soon. Let me know if there is anything in particular you would be looking for as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top