Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 8:33:11 PM EDT
Hey people,

Let me tell you a little something about me, Im 20 years old and was born and raised in Cali.
I have a degree in Administration of Justice  and graduated from the Rio Hondo police academy.            
The problem is i dont like Clifornias gun laws.
So why not move to Las Vegas! But how am i just going to go if i might not be able to find a good paying job??
Should i stay here and work a year or two for the LAPD, save up some money then move?
Do you think i could get a law enforcement job in Vegas?
What would you do? hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, and not to be mean to the Vegas guys here, but Vegas is a shithole. Its a boom town, with shitty people and shitty buildings. My uncle lives there and hates every minute of it. I love visiting, but would hate to live there.

To me at least, Phoenix is the place. I loved it there and would love to go to ASU, but I have to stay up in the rain a while longer yet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Every city has its share of shitty parts.

tell your uncle to get out of the ghetto.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Vegas is a shithole. Its a boom town, with shitty people and shitty buildings. My uncle lives there and hates every minute of it. I love visiting, but would hate to live there.

Dude, tell your uncle to move out of Downtown.

Even with the property value boom of the last year or two, there are still very affordable nice areas to live.

Seriously, what area does your uncle live in?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Henderson.

ETA: Its a nice house, but the builder didnt seal some parts and there is no insulation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Henderson.

ETA: Its a nice house, but the builder didnt seal some parts and there is no insulation.

There you go!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Henderson.

There you go!

Fastest growing city in America.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Henderson.

There you go!

Fastest growing city in America.

Yeah, everyone's moving to this shithole... perhaps your uncle should move out and create some space for people who want to live here?  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
He was thinking about moving back to Chicago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#10]
shit, i'd live in a trailer off the 15 just to get the hell out of Kali!!

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#11]
A "shithole"?

We don't get snowed in, we don't get blown away from hurricanes, we don't have protestors "sitting-in" downtown on weekends trying to hold up traffic, we don't offer illegal aliens a driver license, we don't have a state income tax, we can own handguns, we can own "assualt rifles", we can own machineguns, we can purchase parts that are specifically made for a machinegun (unlike yourself in WA), we don't get hit by tornados, we don't have earthquakes (unless you Californians send a shockwave our way ), we don't have thriving crack/cocaine market and we don't have a high crime rate.

Also, why are our buildings "shitty"?  For the most part, buildings here in Vegas are only about 30 years old. Most city's buildings are 60+ years old because most cities with 1.5 million people have are much older than Vegas. Finally, a majority of the homes here in Vegas have the latest standards for efficiency because they are so new.

I have been in Vegas all my life. Lived in quite a few cities while in college and in the Army and still haven't found a city that I love as much as Vegas.

Far from a "shithole" my man...

thanks,
Ron

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FWIW, and not to be mean to the Vegas guys here, but Vegas is a shithole. Its a boom town, with shitty people and shitty buildings.

Jack, if you look at all of the hometown pages, i doubt you'd find one more frequented than the NV board. If you read the posts here, and look at the number of people that participate, you'd see that many, if not all of us, enjoy it here.  As a tourist, you really don't get the sense as to what this town is all about. The Strip is not the LV that we all know.

There are some east coasters that marvel at the 'sophistication' and 'culture' they left behind when they came to this sand pit.  They criticize Vegas for being crude, uncultured, and uneducated. Newsflash, the valley is rapidly changing.  I came from Cali, so i must have missed out on having an enriched life.  Oh well. As the saying goes, he can  love it or leave it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A "shithole"?

We don't get snowed in

Well, usually not.  From last December...........

A "shithole"?

I live just outside Red Rock Canyon, about 9 miles due west of the Strip......

After a day of hiking and relaxing in places like this, you drive a few miles in the evening and enjoy another kind of wildlife..............

Far from a "shithole" my man...

Big +1
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Poster By: Combat_Jack
...Vegas is a shithole. Its a boom town, with shitty people and shitty buildings. My uncle lives there and hates every minute of it.

Jack, I for one wish to thank you for spreading the truth about the real Vegas, if people like you did not disspell the myths about Vegas, the whole god damn country would be tripping over each other trying to move here. Truly making it a real shithole.
Thanks again
Tom
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Heres the deal. Vegas is a boom town. In a boom town, the quality of construction, as well as services fail, because people are in a rush to build and whatnot and cut corners.

Also, I fucking hate tourists. We have some of them up here too, and the whole tourist based economy thing pisses me off to knoow end.

Its a matter of personal preference. I found Vegas lacking. Don't take this as a staement about you guys, I am sure you are all great guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Vegas is a shithole. Its a boom town, with shitty people and shitty buildings. My uncle lives there and hates every minute of it. I love visiting, but would hate to live there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo C_J, I've lived here in Vegas for nearly 30 years. I remember when the town had a mere 250,000 people. In that population were people that were "escaping" their original birthplaces such as New Jersey (where I was born), New York, New England, Kommiefornia, etc.

The difference between the people moving here now and the people like myself that moved here 30 years ago is that now most everyone that moves here brings their lifestyle and their politics with them. When I moved here I came with a clean slate and an objective attitude. I adjusted to the Vegas way of life including the way of thinking of the West. You know, less Government and living free of a Nanny State.

Sure, anytime you have overpopulation you will have problems. I just wish that the people that move here now take Vegas for what it really is (the Wild, Wild West) and leave all their liberal ideas and politics in the snowdrifts of the East and the sand and waves of Kommiefornia.

I often get frustrated with the growth, but I have been fortunate in the fact that Nevada has been very good to me. Low taxes, good income, good weather, decent people, and very positive pro-gun rights just to name a few. This is where I have called home for more than half my adult life and I guess that after 30 years you can say that I am a Native Nevadan.

There's more to Nevada's history and culture than the glitz and glamour of the Strip. The next time you visit Nevada C_J perhaps you should take a few days and see the "real" Nevada. You probably might have a different opinion about where we call home.

Nevada Facts

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think that anyone who would choose Chicago over Las Vegas is in their right mind... you should perhaps consider psychiatric help for your poor, sick uncle.    
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Its a matter of personal preference. I found Vegas lacking. Don't take this as a statement about you guys, I am sure you are all great guys.

You can say stuff like that all you want, but you don't live here, and you just shit all over everyone who does...   really, think about what you're writing, and where you're writing it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh, JHPslug, all the LEO orgs in NV are highering like mad, I'm sure you'd get right in with that kind of background.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

....but what about us that don't speak Spanish?

ROTF LMFAO!!!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW, and not to be mean to the Seattle guys here, but Seattle is a shithole. Its a shitty town, with shitty people and shitty buildings. My uncle lives there and hates every minute of it. I love visiting, but would hate to live there.

To me at least, Las Vegas is the place. I loved it there and would love to go to UNLV, but I have to stay up in the rain a while longer yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FWIW, and not to be mean to the Seattle guys here, but Seattle is a shithole. Its a shitty town, with shitty people and shitty buildings. My uncle lives there and hates every minute of it. I love visiting, but would hate to live there.

To me at least, Las Vegas is the place. I loved it there and would love to go to UNLV, but I have to stay up in the rain a while longer yet.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Seattle IS a shithole! I would much rather live in Vegas! Whiny liberal pussies up here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I've only lived here a month, but me and the little lady love it here.This is the best place I've ever lived and I've lived in Massachusetts,Maine,Rhode Island,North Carolina, and Okinawa,Japan and been deployed in the Marines to about 17 other countries.What do I like about Las Vegas? World class entertainment,restaurants,shopping,and nightlife,24 hours a day.No state taxes,low cost of living (compared to the East Coast),some of the best gun laws in the US,overall friendly people,great job oppurtunities and endless outdoor activities.Within the Las Vegas area there are wide open deserts,canyons,Lake Mead,the Colorado River,and Alpine Wildnerness (Mt. Charleston and the Spring Mountain National Recreation Area).You can literally enjoy every outdoor activity here from water skiing to snow skiing.And Vegas is within a few hours of some of America's greatest national landmarks...The Grand Canyon,Bryce/Zion Canyon,etc.

JHP: As far as law enforcement,I'm nearly done with the hiring process for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department,which is considered one of the top 5 finest police departments in the US as far as pay,training,equipment,technology,etc.LVMPD and other southern Nevada agencies are hiring all the time.As a matter of fact Las Vegas Metro PD,Henderson PD,and North Las Vegas PD are all rated by www.policepay.net as 3 of the top 10 best paid police departments in the US.

Check these websites out:

www.lvmpd.com

www.poilcepay.net

www.morecops.com

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
SGT_GRUNT_USMC, once you've been with Metro a while remember I still want my ride-a-long.

Yes sir..will do
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Jeez, SGT; now you've gone and done it !!
Thank God this is only a "gun board"; general population won't see it.
"We" know this stuff, and occasionally let a few like you in; don't go encouragin' the hoi poloi!!
If you REALLY want to be a "local" then STOP spreadin' the word......"we" don't want their kind movin' here!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
JHPslug, don't mean to jump on your thread but I'm interested in moving to NV toohat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top