I went to Advanced Bullets in Temple on Friday. I was going to Tom Lowe but they're closed on Fridays, WTF?
Anyway, AB is a very laid back place with an organized range. Me and a friend went to shoot trap. We're both beginner shotgun shooters, doing mostly hand launched clays. Greg from AB quickly noticed we were struggling, and stepped in to help.
In short, I highly recommend him as a shotgun coach. He clearly loves the sport, and has a low-stress teaching style. He's not a 'this is the only way to do it' teacher, either. He says he charges $40/hr for coaching, but he hooked us up for free while launching birds for us. We both improved greatly over the course of the day. I will be going back for a lesson after I do some more practice using what I was taught.
Here's just a few of the tips we got:
- The shot string is a long oval, not a wide oval. Shoot in front of the bird and frequently the tail of the shot string will break a bird where you overdid the lead. Seems obvious, but my misunderstanding on this caused me to use the wrong lead, a lot.
- Read the hit. Depending on the direction the biggest piece of clay goes, the shot string was on the opposite side. Again, seems obvious, but it never occurred to me.
- The key to catching and passing the clay with your swing is it must be slow and easy. I.e. if the bird is doing 35mph, your swing should be traversing at 40mph, not 70mph. 70 results in you passing the clay and being forced to rush the shot or stop the swing.
- Line up your eye on the shot, with the muzzle cast slightly toward your offside hand, prior to calling 'Pull'. For trap, the eye line-up is based on which station you're on, and what is the shortest distance the clay must fly before you see it outside the launcher house. The goal is a clear sight on the bird, 'staring hard' at it and slowly bringing the gun up.
- The muzzle should stay on the flight path all the way from unmounted to mounted. Get a mini Maglite, adjust it to a pencil beam, put it in the bore with a Cylinder choke, and practice tracking across the seam where the ceiling and wall meet. In would be preferable to not use live ammo for this drill, but I know some of you will.
- If you're not sure of the elevation to start from, start low. It's much easier to smoothly move up and stop than to lower and stop.
- If you like to pan the muzzle prior to calling pull, make sure the gun is fully stopped before calling 'Pull'.
There was lots more but you get the idea. He also knows a thing or two about fixing the fit to the gun, and was willing to help with that, too.
Their hours are 9-5 Monday to Saturday. Usually there's no clay shooting on Thursdays due to deliveries. Call in the morning to make an appointment for shotgun sports.
+1 on Advanced Bullets
1. Great range for slow target practice, no rapid fire. 10,25,50, and 100 yard ranges
2. Trap and Skeet
3. Sporting clays on select weekends.
4. Cheap range fees and trap fees
Greg is a volunteer shotgun coach for the Carroll County 4-H Shotgun Team. Teaching kids to shoot is okay in my book.
where is temple?
West on I-20, between Douglasville and Carrollton exits.
greg at advanced bullets has been great. my fiancee and myself have been shooting there for at least a year and greg has been very friendly and the place has a "good place to shoot the shit" fell to it . I later found out that he is the step-father of a guy I have beenw orking with for a year. smal world huh? I need to go see greg to teach me how to improve my skeet skills.
Well, if you would actual take the time to go shoot some skeet.....your skills would improve dramatically.
PS: Should I start telling "Drill Sergant Judy" stories????
drill seargeant judy is a bitch , she tried to tell greg from advanced bullets how to shoot and he has been teaching skeet for 12 years! he told her to " shut the hell up " and let him have some fun . and Accountant I don't care about your "dominatrix bitch with a strap-on" ,drill sgt. judy!
Posted by m14shooter
"a guy that I have been porking for a year"
Damn boy, that it more than we wanted to know. So does Drill Sgt. Judy bring her strap on and pound you while you are pounding the guy???
I knew you were a sick fuck.
Edited to Add:
Damn that's gross.