Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/16/2008 9:56:40 AM EST
Im trying to plan a Tennessee fly fishing trip for myself and my best friend as well as maybe one or two others. He lives in Louisiana, but we wanted to plan a fishing trip before he gets married. We are hoping to do this sometime in December or January, because its the only time I have off before his wedding.

Couple of Questions...

1. How is the Fishing in the winter time? I have done a bit of searching on the net, and the guides seem to say that the fishing can be pretty decent at that time of the year. Dont worry about the fact it might be cold, were both originally from OH.

2. What rivers/streams would you reccomend? Just searching on the net the south holton river seems to come up alot.

3. We both have limited budgets. Im a fairly experienced trout fisherman, and due to cost I was planning on forgoing any sort of guide. We were hoping to rent a fairly basic cabin and rough it a bit, so any cabin rentals near good fishing would be great to know about! Also, streams and rivers that could be easly waded would be best.

Any advice would be greatly apreaciated!!

Thanks,

Buckeye.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:42:09 AM EST
Go to www.state.tn.us/twra/ for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, click on fishing in the left column and scroll down to the programs heading. Tn has three trout programs: wild trout in the Smokies and tailwater(below dams) and stocked streams for the rest of the state. Smokies are my favorite but I'm too far away for a quick trip up there. My favorite local spots are below Normandy dam and Tim's ford dam. Both have great camping nearby and we always catch some nice fish. If you come to Middle Tn I will put you on some good spots. Fishing is good in the winter and I can check on cabins if you want. I know Tim's Ford State Park has them. Google Tn State Parks for the website. The Caney Fork River is also good and has several State Parks and Corps of Engineers campgrounds on it. Holler at me for more info.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:09:36 PM EST
Either Caney Fork or Hiwassee (in Polk Co.) seem to be the two favorites for the locals, IMO. Plenty of cheap places to stay in both areas, especially in the off season.

Call Ronnie over at Cumberland Transit in Nashville for advice, IMO. I used to work with him & he's their fly fishing expert now.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:48:22 PM EST
Also... Game Fair Ltd Inc...in Nashville is an "Orvis" dealer. They may be able to provide you with some info.

They'll also be able to help in emptyin' your wallet if your in town. Some serious sticker shock goin' on in there!!!

Our Bass Pro Shops has a fly shop too...so they might give ya some info, too.

+1 on Cumberland Transit...their fly fishin' dept. is very nice, indeed.

Game Fair Ltd Inc
5703 Old Harding Pike
Nashville, TN. 37205
(615)353-0602 & 0604
www.gamefairltd.com

Cumberland Transit
2807 West End Ave
Nashville, TN. 37203
(615)327-0557

Bass Pro Shops
323 Opy Mills Drive
Nashville, TN. 37214
(615)514-5200
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:03:50 PM EST
I'll check with my nephew, he's been thinking of becoming a guide. He caught some monsters at the south holston dam last year and early this year.

There is a fly shop in between Johnson city and Piney flats that has a few guides. Some of the guys belong to some leased streams up in SW virginia that are managed for trout.

Found the link
www.flyshopoftn.com/

They may have some info for you. If you have any questions, let me know. My nephew used to frequent there quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:00:10 AM EST
If you like small stream trout fishing and don't mind tight casting conditions, then the East Tennessee mountains are the place to visit. If it's a Winter trip, you may be limited by the weather at higher altitudes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:09:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Either Caney Fork or Hiwassee (in Polk Co.) seem to be the two favorites for the locals, IMO. Plenty of cheap places to stay in both areas, especially in the off season.

Call Ronnie over at Cumberland Transit in Nashville for advice, IMO. I used to work with him & he's their fly fishing expert now.

Hope this helps!

Caney fork FTW!!

Top Top