Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 10:22:33 AM EDT

6 Marines From Brook Park Reserve Unit Killed In Iraq
26-Year-Old From Toronto, Ohio, Killed

UPDATED: 1:36 pm EDT August 2, 2005

BROOK PARK, Ohio -- Six Marines from a northeast Ohio division were killed in Iraq Monday, NewsChannel5 reported.

The Marines were part of the Third Battalion 25th Marine Regiment. That is a reserve unit out of Brook Park. It is located on West 150th Street.

Lt. Col. Kevin Rush said that the Marines were part of a sniper unit who were killed in action near Haditha, 140 miles northwest of Baghdad.

According to the Public Affairs Office at Camp Fallujah, They were engaged by insurgents and killed by small-arms fire. Five Marines were killed in the initial attack; one was unaccounted for and his body later found and safely recovered a few kilometers away.

"It is a sad and somber day. We want to extend our sympathies and condolences to the families. Our thoughts and prayers are with them," Rush said.

Five of the victims are from northeast Ohio. One is from out of the area, Rush said.

Names of the deceased are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Family members did say that Sgt. Nathaniel Rock, 26, of Toronto, Ohio, was one of the Marines killed.

Rock joined the Marine Corps after graduating from Toronto High School in 1997.

He was a part-time police officer in Martins Ferry and had been serving in Iraq since March.

Rush said the unit was part of an infantry battalion that conducts missions to disrupt insurgencies and take an offensive stand against terrorists.

There will be an investigation into how they were killed.

"Everybody is holding up strong," he said.

The unit also has companies in Columbus, Akron, Moundsville, W.Va. and Buffalo, N.Y.

A special team will be brought in from New Orleans to offer counseling for families of Marines who are still in Iraq.

I have a really close tie to these guys and I'm at a loss as to what to do for the families,thank God my "tie" was not involved in this but it was real close.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:10:14 PM EDT
How the heck does that happen. Snipers and spotters getting over run is hard to fathom. I assume hell fire and damnation will be coming to that turd hole post haste.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:13:37 PM EDT
I give my heartfelt thanks to those men and their families. Sgt. Nate Rock was a fine man and due to come home next month. My prayers go out to his family and his brother Jared who worked with him on the Martins Ferry Police Dept.

Link below to a picture of Sgt. Rock
http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/lookup/200552342746?opendocument
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 1:46:17 PM EDT by JohnnyMcEldoo]
I hope their families can recover eventually and remember them as best and bravest our country could hope for.

RIP
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:35:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnnyMcEldoo:
I hope their families can recover eventually and remember them as best and bravest our country could hope for.

RIP

Ditto.

Couldn't have said it any better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:23:34 PM EDT

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:50:42 PM EDT
The hardest thing I had to do today was drive home for 35 minutes before dinner.
Kinda puts things in perspective.
We live an enchanted life, thanks to these guys.
God Bless every one of them, and give their families strength.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:01:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:14:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
The hardest thing I had to do today was drive home for 35 minutes before dinner.
Kinda puts things in perspective.
We live an enchanted life, thanks to these guys.
God Bless every one of them, and give their families strength.

Ditto

salute
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:15:37 AM EDT
The news is no better today - 3/25th Marines - Godspeed

Saddened
Alac
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:18:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 6:27:23 AM EDT by Zoub]

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

in our air conditoned cars, to our air conditioned homes with plumbing, hot water, washers and dryers, showers and a fridge/freezer full of fresh food and ice.

And every one of them was a solider by choice.

As a kid my Dad always came back, it took a heavy toll on him, but he came back. I have never forgotten my friends whose Fathers served with mine and didn't come back. At this point it is about their kids and spouses left behind.

Always push for better benefits for Veterans. No one gives more for less than they do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:54:53 AM EDT
Rest In Peace.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:04:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:01:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
How the heck does that happen.

Infiltration of the Iraqi mil and police by terrorists.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:28:29 PM EDT

God bless and keep their loved ones.

I agree, we have it easy because of them and others like them. It is our sacred duty to ensure they are not forgotten.

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:45:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
How the heck does that happen.

I assume everyone knows by now, but just in case, they were in an amphibious assault vehicle. I got to image a vehicle designed to float can't be too heavily armored.

My heart goes out to the families. Having a wife in Iraq, I know there are going to be a lot of people hoping nobody comes knocking at the door. For those that don't know, they disable phones and internet whenever there's a casualty so the military can notify next of kin first. Those that are OK have to wait until that process is over before they can call home.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:39:03 PM EDT
I work with Michael Cifuentes’ father. Michael is one of the soldiers who were killed. My wife and I were on our way home from a date, talking about the war, the reasons for it and speculating what the Middle East will be like several years from now as a result of it. When we got home there was a message on our machine notifying us of his passing. It put quite a different perspective on the conversation.

It is a sad day indeed.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:06:18 PM EDT

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:43:39 AM EDT
I actually went to school with Lance Cpl Montgomery. Pretty much K-10. So I was shocked to say the least. As for Boskovitch, I knew him through another friend in his sniper unit. Only met him a time or to. I haven't heard any word on my friend if he's ok or not, but I hope he's fine.

I give much respect to those who have served and those who are currently serving.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:46:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CsabaH:
I actually went to school with Lance Cpl Montgomery. Pretty much K-10. So I was shocked to say the least. As for Boskovitch, I knew him through another friend in his sniper unit. Only met him a time or to. I haven't heard any word on my friend if he's ok or not, but I hope he's fine.

I give much respect to those who have served and those who are currently serving.

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:17:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:04:08 AM EDT
Our hearts and prayers go out to their families. God will wipe away every tear.

THESE ARE HEROES--THEY WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!

What I wanna know is this: exactly how did those bastards get the drop on our boys?

I am sure the Green Machine will be dispensing "justice" forthwith!

By the way, fellas, if we even think about sending firemen, in harm's way, we deck them out with infared scopes; breathing gear; the best in high-tech hardware and engines.

Yet, 14 Marines are moving around in an AAV with less than 1 inch of side aluminum plate and none on the bottom at all! Even a Bradley has more tin-plate!

What gives? Let's get our boys all they need--and then some!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:50:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tread1:

Originally Posted By CsabaH:

IM sent

Thanks for the IM, you have a reply as well
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top