Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 3:29:44 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

I was hoping that one of you Maine residents could help me out. As a non-resident, is it legal for me to have an unloaded rifle in the trunk of my car in Maine? I just scanned packing.org and the wording is a little ambiguous, and doesn't mention unloaded rifles at all.

I realize that Maine doesn't recognize my NH pistol permit, but I am hopeful that I can legally transport rifles to Maine shooting ranges.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:33:35 AM EDT
According to the Lewiston Chief of Police, it is legal for a non-resident to have an unloaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle. I had the same question a few years back and my mother-in-law works with the Chief so we called him up and asked him.

For a more reassuring confirmation check out the NRA Site on ME where it states that you would be legal as long as the gun was unloaded (pistol or rifle/shotgun). The ME law does not differentiate between residents or non-residents.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:45:59 AM EDT
Shouldnt be an issue - I'm a new New Hampshire resident............as a Maine resident I often carried an AK, AR, or FAL in my truck - so long as its not loaded lol - Game Wardens are highly suspicious - just keep i t unloaded and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:36:55 AM EDT
Obviously, keep it unloaded. If you have it hidden in the trunk, behind the seat, etc, (CONCEALED) make sure it's in a case. Or, you can leave it exposed - sitting on the seat or in a gun rack, etc. Outside of Portland, it's pretty common, especially in the Fall - around hunting seasons.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:18:25 PM EDT
Thanks guys, this is great news.

My trunk gun will go back into my car for trips to Maine then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:16:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

I realize that Maine doesn't recognize my NH pistol permit, but I am hopeful that I can legally transport rifles to Maine shooting ranges.

Thanks in advance.

Get yourself a ME Non-Resident carry permit - you can do it all by mail. $60 for four years.
Top Top