Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 6:22:19 PM EDT
A few months ago I posted a question on the main board asking how to display an AR so that is was quickly accessible yet secure at the same time. I was suprised to find that no one could name a product that fit what I had in mind so I went looking... here's what I came up with!

I took a GALLS AR15 car mount and did a few modifications... and voila!

My AR is hanging on my wall for all to see and it 'ain't comin' off without a hell of a fight!

Sure, if I go on vacation my guns will be tucked away in the safe but, I love having my AR out where I and others can see it while at the same time knowing it's not going anywhere unless I say so!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sweet look'n.

Where did you get the mount?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
They can get your lower reciever, scope, BUIS, bolt/carrier and stock...  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Can the weapon can still be fired at someone walking through the door ?  

It’s all fun and games until someone cuts the stud out of the wall.  If a burglar did put enough force into twisting it- your rifle may be damaged.

You state the safe will provide security for vacation, but what about regular day use?  Why have people in your home if you cannot trust them to respect your rifle and your home?  

Nice pictures.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:53:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice setup. Love the Phantom hlash hider too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea looks like it would easy enough to push out the pins and take the lower leaving the upper hanging on the wall.
Matter a fact reminds me of a bike wheel I saw chained to a bike rack, unbolted the wheel and took the rest of the bike
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
That's cool looking and a great idea but I would only use that if I was showing off the rifle like if I was having some fellow shooting buddies over. I don't know what that mount is made of or what type of lags you used to secure it to the wall but the way it sits your leaving a natural lever to turn. If I ran up to that rifle and grabbed one end and put some weight on it I'm guessing something's going to give. I could push up and pull down so there's no telling what might happen.

How is it secured and what is it made out of?

-John
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yea looks like it would easy enough to push out the pins and take the lower leaving the upper hanging on the wall.
Matter a fact reminds me of a bike wheel I saw chained to a bike rack, unbolted the wheel and took the rest of the bike

I though of that too immediately after seeing it. I'm thinking if he ran a cable lock through the mag well and the ejection port it would help.

-John
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I realize that someone who knew what they were doing could steal parts of the rifle and all but, that's not what this setup is intended to prevent.

What I wanted was a way to disply the gun and have it ready for use while at the same time preventing someone from just picking it up and having a working weapon or easily walking off with it.

As for getting it off of the wall, two bolts go all the way through the wall and through a metal plate on the opposite side. They run on either side of the wall stud and there are lock nuts countersunk into the lock itself. If you had the tools you could turn the bolts on the backside of the wall but the locknuts would just spin inside the lock and the bolts wouldn't come out.

There is another 3" lag screw going from the lock into the stud from the lock side.

I know it's not perfect but... it does what I wanted it to do... and it's purdy!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
cool pics
Nice rifle

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know it's not perfect but... it does what I wanted it to do... and it's purdy!

wel I think it's cool as hell

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wel I think it's cool as hell

+1

Looks pretty slick to me.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I only see one thing wrong in the picture.

You need a bayonet lug.
The mount is pretty damn cool though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Product info please. How much does this mount set you back? Also, interested in it for auto application that it was probably intended. Thanks for bringing this to our enlightenment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool! Two taper pins and I got me a rifle. I'll leave the ARMS stuff in the trash outside. Nice of you to mount it on the wall that way since the taper pins drive that direction.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cool! Two taper pins and I got me a rifle. I'll leave the ARMS stuff in the trash outside. Nice of you to mount it on the wall that way since the taper pins drive that direction.

I would imagine that it is mainly for display purposes when he has people over and he probably still has his sidearm close by so any attempt at taking it off could be easily stopped. It's a cool idea though
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, that's pretty darn cool.
Quick access and yet secure.
And like he said, it's locked in the safe when he's not home.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Product info please. How much does this mount set you back? Also, interested in it for auto application that it was probably intended. Thanks for bringing this to our enlightenment.

Here's a link to GALLS. They sell police supplies and you're right about the auto application, it's intended to lock AR15s into police cars...

Quoted:

Here, let me fix that for ya...

Quoted:
Cool! Two taper pins and I got me a stolen lower that won't shoot untill I get an upper for it... and damn, much of the funding for the upper could have come from selling those ARMS parts I left in the trash outside like an idiot...

Well... theives aren't known for being too smart... that's why they do that sort of crap.

And really, this has been eatting at me for a few days now...

[RANT ON]
Some people around here take far too much pleasure in putting people down...

I'm gettin' to be an old fart now and I've found that the people who really know their stuff, not just technically but philisophically, tend to be kind and helpfull folks. It's the ones that need to prove themselves TO THEMSELVES that find it necessary to tear people down... [/RANT OFF]

As I posted before, this mount does what I wanted it to. It displays the gun while at the same time keeping kids and others from having accidents with it or walking away with a working gun.

Yes, I realize that "all it would take" is someone with a saws-all cut out the wall stud to take the gun.

Yes, I realize that "all it would take" is someone to use a wrench to unscrew the flash-hider, use a punch to remove the drift pin from the front sight, remove the front sightpost and slide out the gun...

Yes, I realize all of that...

My Grandfather had a rack full of guns in his home. There were no locks on them. When I would visit my grandparents as a boy I would look at them but, I knew not to touch them...
They were never stolen.

I'd like to be able to do the same but, times have changed. This method is the best compromise I have come up with so far.
If you have any better ideas... I'd love to hear 'em.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting.  I'm working on a mount for my truck.  Nothing like that tho...

ETA:

OK just a question why is such a big deal to display your AR like that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Interesting.  I'm working on a mount for my truck.  Nothing like that tho...

ETA:

OK just a question why is such a big deal to display your AR like that?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking why I would want to do it or, are you wondering why I want it to be locked up?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Reload,
I like it.  It shows a certain style.  However, (there's always a however) I think I'd like it better mounted vertically with the buttstock in a drop-in holder.  That way you have two points of retention and the 'levering the rifle off the wall' crowd goes away.

I wish my wife had the same design thought process when our house was decorated.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey Reload,
I like it.  It shows a certain style.  However, (there's always a however) I think I'd like it better mounted vertically with the buttstock in a drop-in holder.  That way you have two points of retention and the 'levering the rifle off the wall' crowd goes away.

I wish my wife had the same design thought process when our house was decorated.

Mike

you could still do that if you put the drop in holster horizontal on the buttstock and slide it in rather than drop it in and it should serve the same purpose.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#23]
That's cute.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are only go to have it out for display purposes when trusted folk are around and use the safe for more secure stowage most of the time isn't that overkill?

That said display is always going to be difficult.  You either make it totally secure requiring big tools and effort to remove it (which almost always ruins the display effect , yours does look pretty good) or you make it easily removable and only have it out during trusted visits.  The only guns I have out  for display per se are my Model 97 Winnie pump with 30" barrel and Trapdoor Springfield.  Neither of which fit in my safe any way.  Both have secure mounts at wrist and fore-ends into studs which eliminate twisting.  If the guys have the time and ability to defeat the mounts though the studs,  they could probably get into a safe too.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I just dont see why you would want to show it off on your wall.  I guess different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hey Reload,

Mike

I concur. He could probably still do the drop-in holder for the stock in a horizontal configuration. If you've ever seen the rifle holder in a HMMWV you know what I'm talking about; there's a shallow rectangular metal box mounted to the floor and the barrel fits in a clip on the dash. Just rig up something like painted tactical black and mount it appropriately on the wall. That should eliminate concerns of midgets trying to do chin-ups on the boomstick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#27]
... , did ya see the animated gif someone made in your other thread -Reload?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~npd233/racklock.gif

Thats is some great work.  Good job, WW!!!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats is some great work.  Good job, WW!!!!

... Not my work, just copying it

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
YOu should have taken pics of the install for those of us who can't follow written instructions!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I see a stripped upper in your future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top