Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 2:39:07 PM EDT
1) Was thinking seriously about doing the SBR thing. Matter of fact, have been thinking about it for awhile, but more so now that I finally moved to Dahlonega and away from the state line some. Question is, does there exist some provision for person(s) residing in close proximity to a state or tristate border to not have to submit the stupid form everytime he wants to move the weapon? This is, of course, assuming that the states involved allowed SBRs. If not, I just couldn't see the use of owning an SBR in my prior location. Was in Blue Ridge, and it is stuck right there at the NC/TN/GA border, and technically, alot of the shortcut backroads to get from one place to another sometimes involve crossing state lines up to 2 times. Seems like it would be a pain in the ass to have an SBR under those circumstances.

2)Registered Receivers: If [Person A] buys and is transfered a registered receiver, and some catastrophic failure occurs rendering the RR irrepairable, what happens? If I understand correctly, civilians are not allowed to own a machinegun produced or converted after the 1986 Ban. Is there some sort of clause for this? Or, is having a RR a really big gamble, that you could lose your expensive toy?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:08:37 PM EDT
Got to file the papers and get approval to cross state lines. Also when moving. I am guessing most receivers are able to be repaired unless the damage is severe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:15:41 PM EDT
1. NFA travel paperwork: It can be filled out such that it's effective for a year. List addresses for all the official ranges or private property you shoot at, and as long as you're in-transit to/from home/family/range you're in the clear. i.e. if you're going from GA to TX, and you listed a TX range on the form, you're entitled to cross AL, LA, etc.

2. Repairing a RR: AFAIK, only Olympic offers a send it in and replace it for a fee service. They destroy your current receiver and send you one with the same serial number. For minor damage like breaking the front pushpin tabs, I believe the receiver could be rewelded, machined, and refinished. Not cheap, but the part is worth $10K, right? This is probably a question for the NFA forum, to see if anybody with a non-Olympic receiver got it fixed.

hope this helped.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:25:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By zzxx99:
1. It can be filled out such that it's effective for a year.
2. Repairing a RR: They destroy your current receiver and send you one with the same serial number.

Thanks zzxx99. Yeah, I knew Oly had that policy. I would assume that other manufacturers like Colt or BM could replace as well, but you would have to basically pay for a new lower? Seems pale in comparison when we're talking about a $20k item. But good, this is what I was speculating.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:45:18 AM EDT

would assume that other manufacturers like Colt or BM could replace as well, but you would have to basically pay for a new lower?

Ruger is the only other company that is replacing them that I have seen posted any where. It must be done by the original manufacture. Bushmaster used other companies lowers to make their M16s.
Top Top