Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2011 1:00:14 PM EDT
This last week I spent 3 days working with a student from Geneva on the fundamentals of handgun, carbine, and shotgun shooting. This guy now really wants to get involved in the shooting sports, and wants to find out more information on ranges, shooting clubs, competitions, and just generally wants to figure out how to find and "hang out" with gun guys. He is new to the gun world but wants to get involved, mostly for self-defense.

I want to steer him in the right direction, but not just acting blind by looking up info on the web. I'd like to get some recommendations from ARFCOM - what kind of info can you give me, IL HTF?
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a few places in the Genava area to do what he wants to do. Have him sign up here to get started.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I  live right around him, Aurora Sportmans Club is the best place for him to join if he can afford it.  We shoot Practical Rifle matches out there once a month (and you can come out as a non-member to shoot the matches for $20) and a member can get him in for a day of shooting for $10 and a signed waiver of liability.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There is Pine Tree Pistol Club in Rockford.  It has monthly USPSA and IDPA matches with a Thursday night USPSA league.  During the summer is Tri-County Gun Club that has a monthly three-gun match.  These might a bit of a drive but there is always a strong 'burbian contingent at all these matches...
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#4]
At the top of the Illinois HTF page page is a link to local ranges and matches. That would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At the top of the Illinois HTF page page is a link to local ranges and matches. That would be a good place to start.

Thanks for pointing me over to that. I also wanted to get some recommended locations, too, places where the Derp is lower than others.

Thanks for the help, guys. Good stuff so far.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll second Aurora. They have some good carbine matchs going on. Tell him to hang in here will keep him up to speed. Some new venues are in the works for this coming summer
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for aurora Sportsman's Club. It would be the closest to him.  I've only been there for the zombie match but it is a nice facility, great people, and (surprising for the number of people at the event) derp free.  I'd like to check it out on a regular day.

Tri-County Gun Club is also nice.  Further but less expensive.  Second year member. Rules are very non-invasive.  Draw from a holster, speed reload, transitions, etc all ok. Just do it safely.  I haven't seen any derp but my days off are during the week and I sometimes have the place to myself..   They have a couple of rifle/pistol bays (roughly 100ydx20yd). I usually use one of those so any derp is my own.

Derp is a big thing for me.  The indoor pistol range in McHenry is only a few miles from me but I only go there in winter despairation.  Lots of really poor muzzle discipline.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If he has an AR or similar carbine and gets reasonably familiar with shooting it, loading it, etc. then the Level 1 Carbine Course at the Illinois State Rifle Assoc. range in Kankakee is a great class for getting some training in practical carbine shooting.

See the calendar at www.isra.org in the next couple months dates are not up yet, but trooper Dave usually has a level one class in the Spring.  2 days, and about 600 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell him to come out to the ASC (Aurora Sportsman's Club) for one of our Practical Rifle events. It will give him an opportunity to check out the facility and what we have to offer. Our club also monthly has IDPA events.

Im one of the guys at the club that helps run the monthly Practical Rifle events. I am also in the process of hosting a bunch of outstanding instructors at the club next year. I have Kyle Defoor booked for a 2-day advanced carbine in May, and Jason Falla for a 2-day "Tactical Pistol" course in October. I also have some other things in the works for next year as well
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tell him to come out to the ASC (Aurora Sportsman's Club) for one of our Practical Rifle events. It will give him an opportunity to check out the facility and what we have to offer. Our club also monthly has IDPA events.

Im one of the guys at the club that helps run the monthly Practical Rifle events. I am also in the process of hosting a bunch of outstanding instructors at the club next year. I have Kyle Defoor booked for a 2-day advanced carbine in May, and Jason Falla for a 2-day "Tactical Pistol" course in October. I also have some other things in the works for next year as well

Tell him to go to a couple Practical rifle events.  Cheap way to learn some new drills and new way to shoot.

If he likes it he can go to one of those fancy classes.  I love to attend the class in May but got conflict of interest.  Will try to make the Tac Pistol course.  Need an AK course.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is Pine Tree Pistol Club in Rockford.  It has monthly USPSA and IDPA matches with a Thursday night USPSA league.  During the summer is Tri-County Gun Club that has a monthly three-gun match.  These might a bit of a drive but there is always a strong 'burbian contingent at all these matches...

+1 what DANISH said.....

if you need info on either Pinetree or Tri County , let me know...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
We shoot out at Aurora and it's a very nice place.  No "derp" experienced and the staff are great.  I instruct at a few ranges and would go there in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I recommended Aurora and Tri-City to him - what do you guys know about this place? http://www.gatguns.com/range.htm

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I recommended Aurora and Tri-City to him - what do you guys know about this place? http://www.gatguns.com/range.htm

I was going to say the lighting sucks at Gat, but, it looks like they repainted and added new lighting according to the website.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I live in Geneva and can help.  PM for contact info.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
what do you guys know about this place? http://www.gatguns.com/range.htm

Not if you want less Derp.They're not all bad - they just have potential for derp. Many of us have had both good and bad experiences there. It's kinda like throwing darts though - you never know what you're gonna get til you get there. The owner, or his son, I don't know which - posts here on occasion, and they do seem to want to do a good job. YMMV.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top