Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2005 6:49:31 AM EST
I thought I would try the site of all knowledge on this off-topic question.

I am familiar with CA smog laws, but how does it work in AZ?

What are the vehicle years that are exempt from emissions testing, if any?

I have a 1978 1 ton truck, if it needs testing, what sort of thing do they look for? Visual equipment check? Hydrocarbons, CO? etc?

I am also a street rod/hot rod builder and would like to know if I build a 60's or early 70's vehicle, what can I get away with in the way of cam, aircleaner, exhaust, etc.

What are your experiences with the state emissions test sites?

If you can direct me to a site that is a better forum for these questions, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 6:54:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/1/2005 6:55:03 AM EST by TheRedHorseman]
I'm fairly sure that any vehicle over 25 years old is emissions exempt, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

I'll see what I can dig up
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:39:00 AM EST
Well I am not sure about all of AZ but Phoenix and surrounding areas are very strict. They do visual checks and they check for all the stuff you listed. To be exempt in Maricopa your vehicle has to be older than 1967.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:57:01 AM EST
Here you go:

www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/index.html

Everything you need to know.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:02:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:15:04 AM EST
I went through county emission school 20 years ago when my dad owned several car lots but I don't remember shit.

I was thinking there was an exemption for trucks 1 ton and over. Maybe that is no longer the case.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 3:34:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/1/2005 3:35:55 PM EST by MP5_guy]

Originally Posted By wildearp:
What are the vehicle years that are exempt from emissions testing, if any?

1966 and older are exempt from emissions testing. It's kind of an arbitrary year, and it pisses me off because I have a 1967 GTO that I have to get emissions tested. The only emission control device on it are the exhaust pipes.

I have a 1978 1 ton truck, if it needs testing, what sort of thing do they look for? Visual equipment check? Hydrocarbons, CO? etc?

All of the above. Not to worry, though. If it's in decent running condition it should pass.

I am also a street rod/hot rod builder and would like to know if I build a 60's or early 70's vehicle, what can I get away with in the way of cam, aircleaner, exhaust, etc.

Kind of answered above (1966 and older exempt). Otherwise, they will pretty much measure your car against the emission standard (such as it may be) for the year of car you have. I haven't come across any issues when using performance products (cams, exhaust, etc). Think of it this way... how are they going to verify what cam is in my 455?

What are your experiences with the state emissions test sites?

Mildly entertaining to dangerous, depending on the yahoo who gets your car. Fortunately, I got entertaining the last time I had my GTO tested. Kid didn't know how to work the Hurst gate shifter. (duh, move it to D, for drive, and ignore the stuff on the right side of the H pattern). Obviously he had spent way too much time testing Hondas and the like, because he didn't have the finesse to work the accelerator as responsive as the one on my car. I think the rumble of the 455 scared him, too.

If you can direct me to a site that is a better forum for these questions, I would appreciate that too.

You could try here (Cruisin' Arizona web site) to start. Lots of links to car clubs and other related sites.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 6:00:18 PM EST
Has emissions testing been proven to reduce emissions?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:47:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By tfod:

My emissions are lower if I don't eat beans, but testing hasn't helped.

Thanks for the help arfcommers. Such an oxymoron that this vehicle doesn't need testing in CA, but does in AZ. Seems like the state .gov has their heads up their back sides. I briefly looked at the info, but was swamped until 1030PM.

Passing isn't a problem, I just don't want to deal with the testing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:47:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By tfod:

Like most things mandated by .gov, it is most likely revenue driven rather than any effort to actually improve air quality. All you have to do is look at the pushback we have received in our effort to get classic cars (typically driven only a few thousand miles a year to car shows) exempted from emissions testing to see that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 9:58:45 AM EST
Im a hot rod guy too. www.hotrodsbyglen.com and its really no big deal unless your trying to run serious horsepower in a post 67 vehicle.

cams etc. will cause you to work harder to pass.

they dyno test for hc and co
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 10:22:28 AM EST
Any of you guys remember that you had to chew the air to breath in Phx winters in the 1980's
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 10:39:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By HRGlen:
Im a hot rod guy too. www.hotrodsbyglen.com and its really no big deal unless your trying to run serious horsepower in a post 67 vehicle.

cams etc. will cause you to work harder to pass.

they dyno test for hc and co

It just ain't right to have a catalytic convertor on a hot-rod.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 10:57:15 AM EST
now the way to really get around the testing is to have an all wheel drive car. all they do is the gas cap test and an at idle sniffer. one reason why some of the eclipse, subaru, and other guys can get away with some pretty extreme mods so long as they have the awd version

now if you have a pickup with an NP231(iirc) full time 4wd tcase you can get away with a lot so long as you tune idle out to be clean
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:04:33 PM EST

You quoted me? I dont get it i never mentioned cat converters?

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:28:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By HRGlen:

You quoted me? I dont get it i never mentioned cat converters?

I have had to get post 67 veh. smogged in CA every year, until they changed the smog year to 76, which I hear Arnie is trying to change. I want to build another 1967-1972 Chevy shortbed without the hassle.

I just meant it ain't right to have the .gov checking for such things on classic cars, sorry I confused you.
Top Top