Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2003 5:12:20 PM EDT
Are there any places in AZ that you guys know of with NFA-unfriendly CLEOs?  How is Phoenix, specifically?

I realize that the entire state may be "very friendly" but I sure don't want to move from one hoplophobic territory into another...

Is there anything else pertinent that I should know about?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, there are no bad CLEOs in this area.
The one you would most likely deal with in Phoenix would be Joe Arpaio, Maricopa Co.
Welcome to AZ!
Bring plenty of sunscreen, and when you get here raise a toast, for you are a free man.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
 you will realize that moving here was best thing you ever did once you meet the local ARFCOM crew.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, thanks for the replies.  I know from experience the whole IL ARFCOM group is great and look forward to meeting up in AZ.  I also look forward to hearing a lot more full auto fire .

Do you guys in AZ shoot at pay-ranges or for free on someone's land?

I'll most likely be situated in time for the Flagstaff shoot.  Oh boy, I'm excited to get out of this state!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The first thing I would do, If I were you, is:

WALK DOWN THE STREET WITH YOUR PISTOL IN YOUR HOLSTER IN PLAIN SIGHT....  TASTE FREEDOM!

then register to vote.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Pay ranges kinda suck for me. I don't like to be told when I have to stop firing. So I go out into the desert to shoot and there is plenty of it.

Arizona
Open carry
CCW
Full Auto
Free land to shoot on
And TANERITE
Did I say TANERITE
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Where I live, I can't possess a handgun.

When I said I can't wait, I really meant it.

What's concealed carry like in AZ?  (cue view of utopia...)
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Conceal Carry  sixteen hour course about 100.00 and 50.00 for permit for four years. Renewal course about 50.00.  And since we are a open carry state. If the wind blows your shirt up, no big deal. Prohibited places for CCW- Federal, State, and City buildings, Schools, places that serve alcohol, major sporting events, places that post no firearms allowed.

Gun laws in Arizona are state wide. No city to city bullshit or county to county bullshit. Arizona only has 15 counties.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a good place I can go to read up on AZ CCW / open carry?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Order The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide by Alan Korwin  at  1-800-707-4020 www.bloomfieldpress.com

I have that book and his Traverler's Guide of the fifty States book.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Me and my wife both took our CCW classes at Glendale Community College. You get credit for it if your interested in that, but the best part was it was taught by Jerry Mcgowan, an instructor at Gunsite. He is a super cool guy and really knows his shit. Welcome to the REAL sunshine state!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Just be careful about Indun Reservations.

They go by different rules.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#12]

tecknical,

As soon as you get here get your Arizona driver liscense and you can register to vote at MVD. Then call Shooter's World to schedule for your CCW. It will be real hot here when you arrive. Shooter's World has classes on site and indoor range (airconditioned). Then you'll be set.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where I live, I can't possess a handgun.

When I said I can't wait, I really meant it.

What's concealed carry like in AZ?  (cue view of utopia...)

If you happen to be an LEO, you don't have to take the course.
Just send in an application w/2 fingerprint cards and $50.00.
Takes about a week.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are there any places in AZ that you guys know of with NFA-unfriendly CLEOs?  How is Phoenix, specifically?

I realize that the entire state may be "very friendly" but I sure don't want to move from one hoplophobic territory into another...

Is there anything else pertinent that I should know about?

Thanks

The Maricopa County Sheriff's office handles the CLEO signoff's for the Phoenix area. It's  a pretty painless process. You have to get fingerprinted on their card ($8) and they will review all of your paperwork to make sure it's complete before you leave. They are pretty efficient. Right now the signoff process is taking a little over a month.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to hijack the thread, but I've got about 30 days left of my sentence here in MA.The wife and I secured our apartment in Mesa (one of 2 Pitbull friendly apts in the valley) and I couldn't be happier.I lived in Phoenix 12 years ago and vacationed there for 10 days 2 years ago.Can anyone recommend a good place in Mesa for the CCW course and for shooting?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#16]
i teach ccw classes in michigan, do i have to take the az class to get a ccw there, nra personal protection class, rso, ect
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

... Can anyone recommend a good place in Mesa for the CCW course and for shooting?

... I'm gonna be met with some resistance here, but I would go with Caswell's on between Stapley & Mesa Dr. Indoor A/C range, FATS simulator and relatively qualified instructors.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just be careful about Indun Reservations.

They go by different rules.

That's worth repeating.

KNOW where you are if you go out desert blasting.

Stay away from Injun Country.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the answers, guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top