Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/31/2005 1:56:19 PM EST
I have been under the ASSumption that I could use my registered AW on Calif. National Forest land, because of the letter (1991?) that was posted here a couple months ago.

Today in the local gunshop, I heard that that letter is old, and that a new one came out a couple years ago and says that it is not allowed.

Can anybody clear this up?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:38:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 3:39:41 PM EST by Pthfndr]
I've never seen, or heard of anything to contradict the original letter. That includes a conversation with a USFS Enforcement officer just this summer in the El Dorado National forest - while shooting my AR.

Please name the "gun shop" that told you this.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:40:26 PM EST
Dodge City, Santa Barbara.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:28:50 PM EST
It looks like CA will allow it if the Natl forest will.
From the CA DOJ:

(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 12276,12276.1, or 12278, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(7) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this subdivision, or to any licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, for servicing or repair pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12290, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Section 12026.1.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:09:18 AM EST
Thanks Dump. Reading what you posted, it looks like you could only shoot at a designated shooting area, and not at other place (like when hunting).

I will contact my local Nat. Forest (Los Padres) and see what they say.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:31:57 PM EST
Top Top