Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2004 6:03:57 AM EDT
I am not very familar with MD assult weapon laws. I know (I think) under MD laws you need to register AR lowers as assult rifles as well as several others.  Does the AWB sunset help us Marylanders out at all?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Purchase/sale/transfer of high capacity magazines will still be prohibited within Maryland:

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.

(b)  Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Note that even now possession is not prohibited.

As far as I know, with the exception of the magazine restriction we should accrue all the benefits of the expiration of the AWB.  In other words, flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, collapsible stocks will all become legal.  Maryland attempted to pass its own AWB earlier this year but failed.

ETA - We will also remain subject to the approved roster and integrated safety device laws with respect to handguns, but those laws never had anything to do with the AWB.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]

(b) Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

I could have sworn I've seen 30 round mags for sale in 9mm at a gun show. Maybe they were 20.

ETA - We will also remain subject to the approved roster and integrated safety device laws with respect to handguns, but those laws never had anything to do with the AWB.

The safty device law is pretty much moot point now. Maryland has approved an integrated safty lock that isn't, well, integrated. Its a lock that is made with the same dimentions of a live round. You place it in the chamber and stick the "key" down the barrel to lock the device in and it keeps you from racking the slide supposedly. Since its made in pretty much all caliburs and its been approved the integrated lock law seems to have been a waste.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I could have sworn I've seen 30 round mags for sale in 9mm at a gun show. Maybe they were 20.

Maybe they were blocked, maybe you misidentified them, maybe they really were 30-rounders and the seller didn't know about or didn't care about the law.  You practically have to be a full-time lawyer specializing in gun law to understand all the myriad and bizarre gun laws that legislators write, all the way up from local to federal levels.

The safty device law is pretty much moot point now.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure it is moot.  We posted about the Omega lock back in early May just after it was approved.   Everyone was quite happy with the news, but since then I haven't noticed a flood of formerly prohibited handguns now for sale in Maryland.  Back in late June I was looking at a local shop and asked them how the approval of the Omega lock was affecting their inventory.  They said they had Omega locks in stock, but that some manufacturers were still refusing to ship to Maryland, presumably due to the hassles and uncertainty of complying with Maryland's strict gun laws, Omega gun lock notwithstanding.

I haven't checked lately, but perhaps things have opened up since then and we now do have full access to all manufacturers and models of handguns.  I would happily be proven wrong.  What have the rest of you experienced?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am not very familar with MD assult weapon laws. I know (I think) under MD laws you need to register AR lowers as assult rifles as well as several others.  Does the AWB sunset help us Marylanders out at all?

-Foxxz

You do not need to register (explicitly) your lower.  There is no gun registration in MD, although some people feel when you do your MD state background check they keep track of you (I don't know if there is hard evidence on this, there may be).  MD 'assault rifle' law deals with purchase time, you buy it like a handgun, that won't change.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Md does not require you to register guns you bring into the state with you.

However MD has a state law with restricted firearms listed including every AR15 except the colt HBAR.
What this means is you still have to do Pistol paperwork on it and wait 7 days. Pre and Post does not matter.

As for the Omega locks - Omega is having production issues with getting them made.
This is causing the backup in new handguns coming in.
I'll check at the shop tonight to see what is new on this. (been on vacaton)
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]

However MD has a state law with restricted firearms listed including every AR15 except the colt HBAR.

I believe its only for AR15s with barrels less then 20 inches. Other then that its sold as any other rifle.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I believe its only for AR15s with barrels less then 20 inches. Other then that its sold as any other rifle.

-Foxxz

This is COMPLETELY incorrect.

Folks if you're going to make comments on MD gun laws at least have the decency to READ them.

The law specifically expempts HBARS from Colt and Eagle Arms (any barrel length).  The State Police have also taken this to mean ANY Ar-15 type rifle with an HBAR barrel (particulary if the barrel is stamped 'HBAR') [good for us].

If you have the time talk with the wonderful folks at the Gun Rack, they can supply you with a contact in the state police firearms divisiont to confirm this.  You can also get the pamplet from the state police with the law written on it - or download this pamphlet from www.MD-AR15.com's Documents section.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nope.  This is Maryland's definition of a regulated firearm:

§ 5-101:

(p)  Regulated firearm.- "Regulated firearm" means:

(1) a handgun; or

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
(ii) AK-47 in all forms;
(iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
(iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;
(v) AR 180 type semi-auto;
(vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
(vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
(viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
(ix) Barrett light.50 cal. semi-auto;
(x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
(xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
(xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;
(xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
(xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
(xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;
(xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;
(xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;
(xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);
(xix) Feather AT-9 semi-auto;
(xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
(xxi) FNC semi-auto type carbine;
(xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
(xxiii) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;
(xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;
(xxv) Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;
(xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;
(xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
(xxviii) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9;
(xxix) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;
(xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
(xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;
(xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;
(xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
(xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
(xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;
(xxxvi) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;
(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;
(xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
(xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
(xl) Unique F11 semi-auto type;
(xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;
(xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
(xliii) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;
(xliv) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine; or
(xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".  

ETA - Yeah! What Forest said!  (I was busy looking up the citation while Forest was posting)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Forrest - Where is the documentation on barrel marked HBAR??????
I've talked to the state police and they will tell you it is OK, but will not give me it in writing.
The shops I work for do not want to just go off of their word (legal issues).
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Forest - Where is the documentation on barrel marked HBAR??????

Well you posted it in the regulations above § 5-101:(p)(2)(xv)

The pamphlet with the policies are here (You'll have to be logged in with your MSN passport): Page 2 of the pamphlet on the 1996 Gun Violence Act

As to their policies on Bushmaster HBAR - that is an oral policy only - and theoretically could be recinded.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Forest - Where is the documentation on barrel marked HBAR??????

Well you posted it in the regulations above § 5-101:(p)(2)(xv)

I'm not sure whether to feel bad that I was overlooked or honored that I have been confused with 9supercomp.  I think I'll go with the latter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm not sure whether to feel bad that I was overlooked or honored that I have been confused with 9supercomp.  I think I'll go with the latter.

Definately the latter.  Sorry about the mix-up, good job on posting the law.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#13]
No need for sorry.  I was just joking with you.  My feelings weren't hurt, and I'm happy to be confused with 9supercomp any day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Purchase/sale/transfer of high capacity magazines will still be prohibited within Maryland:

(b)  Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Note that even now possession is not prohibited.

I don't believe possession is has ever prohibited, just the transfer of them within state lines including mail order.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't believe possession is has ever prohibited, just the transfer of them within state lines including mail order.

Correct.  Possession has never been prohibited (hence my statement that "even now possession is not prohibitied").
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top