Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2011 3:39:43 PM EDT
I've been looking all over for an effective 308 caliber AR solution that takes pre-bans; unhappy with the cost, reputation, or downright poor customer service of other options, I've decided to give the AR10 (Armalite) a look, after hearing it accepts converted (preban) M14 mags (and that this was its original magazine configuration for a time so its not some insane conversion). HOWEVER, I was under the impression converting a preban magazine voids its preban status...

If I convert an M14 magazine(s) will they still be legal after?

(I think the conversion is a new follower and a slit cut in the mag to retain it)
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as they still function in the original weapon you're fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If I remember correctly, the block on the rear of the magazine needs to be cut off, as well as having a mag notch cut into the side.

Removing the block will prevent the use in the M14 series of rifles, and because of that, you've made a "new magazine" subject to NYS mag compliance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Get one of the CMMG lowers that uses the HK style magazines.  LOTS and LOTS of 20 round pre-ban goodness there.

I think SI made some too, but I tried to find some for sale so I could post a link and couldn't find either of them, did both companies discontinue the product?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
More interesting gray area of NY law.

During the ban the ATF said if you took pre-ban mag A and welded it to pre-ban mag B, you'd manufactured new non pre-ban mag C.

But if you read the NY AWB it doesn't say much…  other than that a high capacity feeding device is an entity (crime) unto itself, a firearm isn't needed to be breaking the law. it doesn't make any difference what gun it goes in. So then… what difference does it matter what gun it goes in?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get one of the CMMG lowers that uses the HK style magazines.  LOTS and LOTS of 20 round pre-ban goodness there.

I think SI made some too, but I tried to find some for sale so I could post a link and couldn't find either of them, did both companies discontinue the product?

Or a Rock River lower that takes preban FAL magazines!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that's another option I was looking at, but the price turned me off at first. Fidelis Arms, the folks who make the G3 lower (and a matched upper) for CMMG, won't return my emails, so I may go with the SI Defense set that it looks like they still carry...

And the RRA rifle doesn't have enough aftermarket parts or support, and i've heard bad things about the feeding...I'm getting an AR to have it be modular, the RRA just isn't...
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Armalite Gen 1 mags = NY legal
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, the block on the rear of the magazine needs to be cut off, as well as having a mag notch cut into the side.

Removing the block will prevent the use in the M14 series of rifles, and because of that, you've made a "new magazine" subject to NYS mag compliance.

No, the block is necessary to maintain alignment in the magazine well of the AR-10.  In the manual, Armalite states standard M14/M1A magazines will function in the rifle without modification so long as the shooter holds it in place or fastens it with a sling.

The easiest way to locate the mag catch on an M1A body for modification is to remove the rifle's catch, insert the magazine with the bolt open and position for proper feeding, and mark the location of the hole with a pencil through the empty mag release slot.  Then it comes down to a steady hand, a drill press, and a file.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've been looking all over for an effective 308 caliber AR solution that takes pre-bans; unhappy with the cost, reputation, or downright poor customer service of other options, I've decided to give the AR10 (Armalite) a look, after hearing it accepts converted (preban) M14 mags (and that this was its original magazine configuration for a time so its not some insane conversion). HOWEVER, I was under the impression converting a preban magazine voids its preban status...

If I convert an M14 magazine(s) will they still be legal after?

(I think the conversion is a new follower and a slit cut in the mag to retain it)

A couple AR10 manufacturers were (maybe still are) making lowers that take HK G3 mags.  The HK mag design is excellent and prebans can be had for less than $5 apiece.

The downside is no bolt hold open, though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top