Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 3:35:25 PM EDT
Should I do it ??

I am getting really sick of the staff and the people at Red's and Eagle peak

Are there any AR15.com members that are members at Austin Rifle club??

What would be the pros/cons of this place

Or is there another option I am over looking ?? I live in North Austin and 30 miles is about the farthest I would go to shoot

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure on the distance for you but I'm sure several will bring up Best of the West in Liberity Hill.
http://texasshootingrange.com/

Both ranges have plus and minuses.  Personally, BotW was a better fit for me.  Mainly in the size of the tactical bays and that they allow select fire toys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not sure on the distance for you but I'm sure several will bring up Best of the West in Liberity Hill.

http://texasshootingrange.com/

Both ranges have plus and minuses.  Personally, BotW was a better fit for me.  Mainly in the size of the tactical bays and that they allow select fire toys.
I have been there its a great place but

Can you clarify one thing with me on this the membership is $100 and if you want to bring friends/family you get the discount member fee for them ??

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Both ARC and Best of the West are good to shoot at. Nice part of ARC is a once a year dues of $100 and you shoot all year. You can shoot 365 days a year sunup to sundown. Only thing is ARC has some rules, no full auto, unless at a match need to shoot behind the benchs. ARC longest range is 200 yards. Best of the West is $100 a year membership plus a fee to shoot depending upon what you want to shoot. Best of the West goes to 1000 yards, also has trap/skeet and has I think 9 action bays the longest a bit over 100 yards. BOTW is open Wednesday through Sunday. BOTW also does not require you to be a member you just pay more if you're not a member.

I like both and I'm a member of both.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Both ARC and Best of the West are good to shoot at. Nice part of ARC is a once a year dues of $100 and you shoot all year. You can shoot 365 days a year sunup to sundown. Only thing is ARC has some rules, no full auto, unless at a match need to shoot behind the benchs. ARC longest range is 200 yards. Best of the West is $100 a year membership plus a fee to shoot depending upon what you want to shoot. Best of the West goes to 1000 yards, also has trap/skeet and has I think 9 action bays the longest a bit over 100 yards. BOTW is open Wednesday through Sunday. BOTW also does not require you to be a member you just pay more if you're not a member.

I like both and I'm a member of both.

Thanks DonofKalifornia,

Sounds like ARC is fitting my needs and if I want to shoot off the bench I will go to a Texas Tactical match at ARC or go to Best of the west that one time. I really don't have enough money or shoot enough to warrant being a member of both. Maybe when I'm a big kid with more money after college

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
ARC is very nice, except if they get a lot of rain. Haven't been to the other one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been a member at ARC for over 14 years and have developed and taught a few of the pistol classes there. I have also shot IDPA and night matches at BOTW. Both have their pluses and minuses.

At ARC you will NOT get thugs and dirt shooters on the line next to you. You must have a CHL or a clean criminal record and attend an orientation class and a live fire safety evaluation to join. Normal shooting must be the from behind the covered shooting benches. Aimed fire drawing from the holster is allowed. (No hip shooting). There are specific practice sessions on Friday (IDPA oriented) and Wednesday(USPSA oriented, starting in March) that allow shooting on the move, steel targets, etc. under supervision of certified safety officers.

There was an effort to get the dues raised to $150 this year but it was voted down by the membership. Still $100 a year and one time $100 initiation fee.  IDPA or USPSA matches almost every weekend. Some carbine matches every month. Lot's of traditional Bullseye pistol, National Match rifle and Silhouette matches. Junior rifle and pistol, air rifle,  4-H and other family oriented stuff going on. A member swap meet every month. Guests are allowed when accompanied by a member.

Eleven different ranges available on the property plus the education building up on the hill. The stat house  on the north side of the creek has male and female restrooms with running water. The action bays have a port-o-let.

Ranges and gate are video monitored. Electronic card access controlled gate. Shooting allowed from 30 min before sunrise to 30 min after sunrise all year long excluding special events and range work days.

The entire range is in the 100 year flood plain. In the past, shooters have been rescued by Travis County Sheriff Dept when they stayed on the ranges across the creek during flash flood conditions. Such floods have not occurred in the past 2 years. All the neighborhoods springing up upstream may have changed the creek flow.

I live close to I-35 and 290 East. It takes me 17 minutes to get to ARC.

If I lived on the northwest side of Austin or up in Cedar Park I would consider Best of the West.  I don't, so I don't.

Lot's of info at the website here

PM me if you have any questions.

Gringop
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag because I'm interested in joining too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I am also a member at ARC and am currently on the BOD.  There will be a new member orientation this Sunday, 6 Feb, at 2pm. You must have a CHL or have completed your background check prior to attending the orientation as noted in the membership info on the web site.  The orientation will consist of a classroom portion and a range safety demo.  I suggest a pistol and 20 rounds for the safety demo.  You can download the membership packet from the website as noted above.

Note that I also shoot at BOTW since they are NFA friendly.  I have shot a few matches there also.  You cannot have too many places to shoot.

Feel free to PM me if you need any further information.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a lifetime member at ARC, it's a nice range if you don't plan to shoot more than 200 yrds, people are friendly, and most are very knowledgeable about firearms. some even do glass bedding for others. Different matches every weekend.
If you need to shoot more than 200, then an occasonal trip out to BOTW works.
'Borg
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I live in Cedar Park and joined BOTW when they opened last year.  If I lived in South/Central Austin I would probably belong to ARC.  I have heard nothing but great things about both of them.

Depending on how much you shoot, the fees to shoot at BOTW are not too bad.  $6 to shoot each time is not terrible.  It is more than $0 at ARC, but I will spend more in gas/time getting down to ARC, ymmw.

I only go yo Eagle Peak to sight in.  It is 10 mins from my house, but I would rather drive to Liberty Hill and shoot the way I want/need to to practice for 3 gun matches.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I often go as a guest. The place is awesome.. Join it.

I live too far otherwise I would.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I live in Cedar Park and joined BOTW when they opened last year.  If I lived in South/Central Austin I would probably belong to ARC.  I have heard nothing but great things about both of them.

Depending on how much you shoot, the fees to shoot at BOTW are not too bad.  $6 to shoot each time is not terrible.  It is more than $0 at ARC, but I will spend more in gas/time getting down to ARC, ymmw.

I only go yo Eagle Peak to sight in.  It is 10 mins from my house, but I would rather drive to Liberty Hill and shoot the way I want/need to to practice for 3 gun matches.

Precisely this, with the one caveat that BoTW is more useful for me than ARC's restrictions as far as I know, so I'm glad I live in Leander.

Also, you don't have to become a member at BoTW as was implied above.  You'll just pay a higher fee per time you go out there if you don't.

I don't bother going to Eagle Peak anymore now that BoTW is open.  20mins to either one for me, and BoTW is much more usable and practical for everything I can think of at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
My house is not 2 miles from ARC, but I have yet to become a member.   I will eventually, but money has been tight, and I've only been shooting maybe twice in the last year.    I did shoot an IDPA match out there after they finished the pistol bays.   Not a bad layout.  I just wish money would become more plentiful, and/or ammo cheaper, then I might be able to go shoot more.

I'm not sure about their rules and regs... but I'd like to be able to stand up a few targets in the pistol bays and practice drawing, double taps, etc etc.  

The one thing I like about it is that you get a combo to the gate and can go in any time during regular shooting hours.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I would put in a vote for BOTW, granted it sounds like my needs are different from yours.

I like to shoot Skeet and Machineguns (I know a wierd dichotomy) and ARC doesnt offer either.   I shoot the Texas Tactical matches there every couple months out at ARC and it is a nice facility but I am just not all that into benchrest shooting which is their strong point.

The Tactical bays at BOTW are much bigger than ARC and you can basically rent a bay to yourself most of the time and set up your own course of fire and shoot them however and with whatever you want.

James
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I live in Jonestown, it's about a 5 min trip to Eagle peak, but I refuse to go there, no FMJ, no shooting from positions except off the bench, and they get pissed if you pick up your own brass.
'Borg

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Jonestown, it's about a 5 min trip to Eagle peak, but I refuse to go there, no FMJ, no shooting from positions except off the bench, and they get pissed if you pick up your own brass.
'Borg

I haven't been out there in a while, but unless they've changed, they never bothered me when I picked up my own brass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Matthew_Q, ARC will allow you to place multiple targets, paper only, at a set minimum distance from the bench out to the berm.  You are allowed to do double taps and shoot from a draw as long as each shot is an AIMED shot.  Hip or point shooting is not allowed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[/div]

I haven't been out there in a while, but unless they've changed, they never bothered me when I picked up my own brass.[/div]

I haven't been in several years, they may not anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top