Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 8:10:29 PM EDT
What do I need to do to be able to operate my ATV in the Sam Houston National Forest or other public use land? I have searched the Web and found that I need to register the vehicle, but cannot find ANY other information on doing so. Also, who is required to go through the rider safety courses - are any individuals grandfathered?

Any information will be appreciated.

Keith
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You need the following:

A sticker from the state, for your ATV.  It will cost you $12.30

You will need to take a ATV operators course (you need to take the certificate with you when you go get your sticker.  You will also need to take the bill of sale for the ATV)

You will need to wear a helmet when you ride.

John
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do I need to wear a helmut when I ride?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the helmet.  I've seen the rangers give out several tickets to atv riders who didn't have a helmet on.  Riding on the fire roads and down the pipeline is also a big no-no. The rangers seem to be very strict on the 4 wheelers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Do the same regulations apply to dirt bikes? It dodn't appear to me that they did...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Where do these nazis have the rules posted?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope, not the sticker anyway.  Dirtbikers still have to wear helmets and stay on the marked trails.

Have you ridden on the Sam Houston trails before? I have a blast riding my motorcycle there but wouldn't really be that interested in taking a four wheeler. Most of the trails are tight single track with a LOT of roots. I can just twist the gas and lift the front tire over a lot of the roots, but on the four wheeler it would beat the hell out of me if going very fast. I don't normally see very many four wheelers there.

Here is a link to maps of the different trails.       http://www.trh-cycle.org/
(there is one new trailhead and loop not on the map yet)

Brian
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why do I need to wear a helmut when I ride?

Because(they think)  it's their land and not yours.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top