Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/31/2003 3:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 3:35:08 PM EDT by MaverickMkii]
Hello folks.

As some of you folks know, I'm going to Georgia Tech this fall, and I'm now looking for apartment rents. I know it is expansive living off campus but when I thought about living in dorm it was not very cheaper than living off campus, considering all the stuff I could do when I live off campus. (like having a rifle or two without any hassles to join up you folks in C.E.)

Supposedely, Buckhead seems to be one of the finest area in Atlanta near Georgia Tech, but it seems apartment rental is a bit expansive there, and considering I'm an Undergraduate student, living too far from GA tech is bad when you might have traffic jam in the morning.

So I'm now considering Buckhead area that is more closer to midtown area, about 2 to 5 miles from GA Tech. How would you describe this area? Is it dangerous to live in that area?

Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:17:44 PM EDT
If you don't get (m)any replies by Monday, I will ask around work. Midtown is one of THE party areas for sure. Come to think of it, one of the guys in a band I know has a place in midtown. I can check with him, too.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:38:46 PM EDT
It's especially popular with the "alternate lifestyle" crowd...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:40:33 PM EDT
The only way I could see a student putting up in the south buckhead/north midtown area is to pick up 2 or 3 roomates. I rented a house in southern buckhead for about a year, and rent ran 1400 a month for a small house on a half acre lot
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:35:04 AM EDT
$1400 holy crap

I'm setting the rental at abs max, $725/mo (living on campus is like $750/mo - but it includes food and utility). We've found some good places in that area that goes from $670 to $730, and we think if we get face to face with them it would be even cheaper. I'm not renting the whole house, just one bed or studio.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:59:06 PM EDT
I don't know if you looked around in person yet, but for that price in buckhead IMHO you're gonna get a crap apartment. Granted most of Buckhead is a nice place, but there are places in buckhead, frankly I wouldn't go into armed in the middle of the night. There was this one girl I know that lived off of 14th street between piedmont and peachtree (granted north midtown, but stil the same area), there were crack dealers and a bunch of homless people out there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:47:10 PM EDT
Buckhead is a decent area. But, having grown up around Atlanta, I decided to attend Clemson instead because of the dilema you now face. All my friends that went to GT happily lived in Buckhead.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:15:27 PM EDT
Do not move to the bar district of Buckhead.

ARH
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:05:43 AM EDT
I go to GaTech. I am a Junior in Aerospace. There is a small rule if you are a freshman, unless you live with your folks or legal guardians, you HAVE to live on campus your first year. And with the restrictions on under-21s going to bars (no no) the social scene is terrible.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:40:01 AM EDT
For you under 21'ers,
Check out Loca Luna's any night of the week. On the weekends they have insane live bands with drums and everything. The girls in that place will dance with anyone dressed nice and are really hot. Also go by Intermetzo or Apre- Diem all of them let you in under 21 . Intermetzo may not card all the time either...just something I noticed a couple years ago. Both those places are really near the Tech campus. I know a few more but those are prob the best.
Buckhead sucks anyway so done feel like your missing out. Its all trash.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:17:07 AM EDT
Have to chime in that, technically, I think Buckhead ends and Midtown begins at the bridge where Peachtree crosses the connector, N of 16th St.

You might find something in the Home Park area- between 10th and 14th and W of the highway to Northside Dr. It has the potential for sketchy, but there are a lot of students, profs, and families that live there. And the Atlantic Station development is going to rapidly gentrify that whole area.

That said, my geezer wisdom is to live in a dorm at least for a year. You'll get to know a lot of folks that may or may not turn out to be friends for life. But that's an opportunity you won't have if you immediately head off campus, outside of class groups. Maybe it's different at Tech, since most folks are gears, but I wanted to know a lot of non-gears when I was in gearing school. Figured it might hold down my personal geekiness level.
Top Top