Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 1/2/2016 2:27:10 AM EDT
If a job comes through, I might be living and working in Atlanta for a few months....

I'm not sure what area I'd be staying in yet, but I'd like to find the closest nicest ranges for rifle....something at least 600 yards, 1000 yards + preferred.

Also, are there any local unaffiliated Action Pistol matches, or USPSA ?

What are my options?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:39:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hollywood_Shooter:
If a job comes through, I might be living and working in Atlanta for a few months....

I'm not sure what area I'd be staying in yet, but I'd like to find the closest nicest ranges for rifle....something at least 600 yards, 1000 yards + preferred.

What are my options?

Thanks!
View Quote

USPSA at Cherokee, River Bend,South River all with in an  hour  of down town Atlanta.  Those are out door weekend matches. There are several weekday indoor matches at different places as well. Sunday evening indoor at Bullseye in Cumming, NAAS, great group of guys. River Bend has. 600 yard range but its a membership club and exspensive  to join ig you are onky here a few months. Others will post more options
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:17:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Evild:

USPSA at Cherokee, River Bend,South River all with in an  hour  of down town Atlanta.  Those are out door weekend matches. There are several weekday indoor matches at different places as well. Sunday evening indoor at Bullseye in Cumming, NAAS, great group of guys. River Bend has. 600 yard range but its a membership club and exspensive  to join ig you are onky here a few months. Others will post more options
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Evild:

What are my options?

Thanks!

Just checked out their web site...WOW, you aren't kidding.....$900.00 initiation plus $300.00 per year.....looks nice though, lots of range options.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:45:54 PM EDT
You need to 1) identify where you will work, 2 identify where you will live, and 3) identify where you want to shoot. "Atlanta" has come to almost mean everything north of Macon, east of Alabama, west of SC, and south of Tennessee. Everything will revolve around your commute. No use in identifying a range and worse joining that range only to find that it is a very long time and hassle to get there (and back).
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:46:23 PM EDT
Elk River Training Center in Pelham TN has a 1,000yd range.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:21:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lightning8:
You need to 1) identify where you will work, 2 identify where you will live, and 3) identify where you want to shoot. "Atlanta" has come to almost mean everything north of Macon, east of Alabama, west of SC, and south of Tennessee. Everything will revolve around your commute. No use in identifying a range and worse joining that range only to find that it is a very long time and hassle to get there (and back).
View Quote

+1.  Exactly What area/ Your working/living will be determine what the best range options area.  Atlanta area has plenty of weekend matches to choose from also within an hour or so
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2016 7:26:28 PM EDT by Hollywood_Shooter]
View Quote

I was being more literal...I'm quite sure they are going to put me up somewhere in the downtown or midtown Atlanta area or immediately adjacent, like maybe around Buckhead.

Put it this way....what are my options closest to downtown Atlanta...say within 1 hour in any direction?

ETA:  Are there any 600+ yard rifle ranges closer to Atlanta than River Bend?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:41:17 PM EDT

I was being more literal...I'm quite sure they are going to put me up somewhere in the downtown or midtown Atlanta area or immediately adjacent, like maybe around Buckhead.

Put it this way....what are my options closest to downtown Atlanta...say within 1 hour in any direction?

View All Quotes

Nope.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2016 8:03:08 PM EDT by RamblinWreck]
No membership is required to shoot any MATCH at River Bend. So come on out! Highpower/600/Garand etc is fired on the 600 yard "big bore" range, and we always hang out afterwards, cook burgers/dogs in the pits, and even might enjoy a beverage or two. Winds can be tricky; its a challenging range to wind-read.

In our monthly 3 x 600 yard match, you can shoot NRA rules from prone with sling only, irons or glass, or there is usually enough F/TR shooters to squad with them. If you have a brake on your muzzle, you must shoot F/TR - not legal in NRA rules. Too friggin loud, so we put you down at the end of the firing line with the other masochists.

ETA: second Sunday of every month. See RBGC website. Each of the three matches is usually 25-minute block time with unlimited sighters and 20 shots for record (score). I've even brought a gun I just put the scope on, and managed to get on paper and shoot a 190-something. Helps if your scorer can see the traces, but you really should have a basic zero and know your come-up for 600 from there. LOL
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:32:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By poison123:

Nope.
View All Quotes

Nope.

OK....so now I'm GOOGLE'ing (because I'm shocked that your FREE state doesn't have more freedom of choice in where to shoot long range)....

South River is 300y...  

Creekside is 500y...

Can you tell me anything about those two?

So what do you guys do for long range?  Private property?

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:34:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RamblinWreck:
No membership is required to shoot any MATCH at River Bend. So come on out! Highpower/600/Garand etc is fired on the 600 yard "big bore" range, and we always hang out afterwards, cook burgers/dogs in the pits, and even might enjoy a beverage or two. Winds can be tricky; its a challenging range to wind-read.

In our monthly 3 x 600 yard match, you can shoot NRA rules from prone with sling only, irons or glass, or there is usually enough F/TR shooters to squad with them. If you have a brake on your muzzle, you must shoot F/TR - not legal in NRA rules. Too friggin loud, so we put you down at the end of the firing line with the other masochists.

ETA: second Sunday of every month. See RBGC website. Each of the three matches is usually 25-minute block time with unlimited sighters and 20 shots for record (score). I've even brought a gun I just put the scope on, and managed to get on paper and shoot a 190-something. Helps if your scorer can see the traces, but you really should have a basic zero and know your come-up for 600 from there. LOL
View Quote

Thanks for that info....good to know....!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:09:24 PM EDT
Your problem is that you are trying to find a long range within a 1 hour drive of the epicenter of the largest urban area in the SE United States.  Be realistic.  

1,000 yard range at Elk River Training Center in Pelham TN. You need to be a member to use the ranges there.  They also have archery, pistol/carbine, a 250yd rifle range, and 5 stand.

1,500 yard range at SCOTG in Laurens SC.  

Opelika AL had a 1,000 yard, but haven't heard anything about it in a while.  Not sure if it's still there.  It was run by Capt Jim Huskey of the local SO/PD.

I run a firearms training school where I conduct a lot of long range training.  If Legion OTG in Blakely gets squared away and opens back up, they have multiple KD ranges from 300-1,000 yards, lots of pistol and carbine bays, and a 2,500 yard Unknown Distance Range.  Caveat there is that in the past Legion wasn't open to the public, or for recreational shooting.  You could shoot matches there, and a limited number of Instructors (I'm one of them) were allowed to teach classes on the facility with civilian students.  I'm the only Instructor that was allowed to bring civilians into the live-fire shoothouse.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2016 10:03:47 PM EDT by Hollywood_Shooter]
Originally Posted By cmshoot:
Your problem is that you are trying to find a long range within a 1 hour drive of the epicenter of the largest urban area in the SE United States.  Be realistic.  

1,000 yard range at Elk River Training Center in Pelham TN. You need to be a member to use the ranges there.  They also have archery, pistol/carbine, a 250yd rifle range, and 5 stand.

Opelika AL had a 1,000 yard, but haven't heard anything about it in a while.  Not sure if it's still there.  It was run by Capt Jim Huskey of the local SO/PD.

I run a firearms training school where I conduct a lot of long range training.  If Legion OTG in Blakely gets squared away and opens back up, they have multiple KD ranges from 300-1,000 yards, lots of pistol and carbine bays, and a 2,500 yard Unknown Distance Range.  Caveat there is that in the past Legion wasn't open to the public, or for recreational shooting.  You could shoot matches there, and a limited number of Instructors (I'm one of them) were allowed to teach classes on the facility with civilian students.  I'm the only Instructor that was allowed to bring civilians into the live-fire shoothouse.
View Quote

OK.....that's informative, helpful, and somewhat disappointing.

ETA:  Wow!  I just checked out Legion OTG's Facebook page....THAT's a great looking facility!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:05:13 PM EDT
Is there an Atlanta area local club that shoots regular monthly PRS style matches?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:15:54 PM EDT
Legion OTG is a spectacular facility.  They're going through some issues right now......hopefully they will all be sorted out by spring time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:24:05 PM EDT
Also the new facility at Anniston. State of the art facility provided by the cmp.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:38:24 PM EDT
I have been trying to find PRS matches too. Some in AL near Birmingham and in VA maybe NC. Lots of IDPA and USPSA opportunities. Plus Sporting Clays.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2016 11:19:27 PM EDT by manderson1911]

OK....so now I'm GOOGLE'ing (because I'm shocked that your FREE state doesn't have more freedom of choice in where to shoot long range)....

South River is 300y...  

Creekside is 500y...

View All Quotes

Nope.

South River is 300y...  

Creekside is 500y...

I wouldn't get to excited about creekside, really it's only like 1 day a week if i remember correctly and it might be member only now to do 500 yard. It was during the week too. So if your working forget it.

Members can bring guests to riverbend, I am sure if you wanted to shoot there one weekend a post here would find a member that would bring you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:16:30 PM EDT
Does that new fancy ass CMP range have anything of distance over the line in Alabama?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:06:20 AM EDT
Is there an Atlanta area local club that shoots regular monthly PRS style matches?
View Quote

Not really.  Nothing monthly for sure.  Once a quarter at best....You need to go to Bama, Tenn, or Florida for stuff within in a 5 hour drive if you want real PRS style matches.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:20:22 AM EDT

Not really.  Nothing monthly for sure.  Once a quarter at best....You need to go to Bama, Tenn, or Florida for stuff within in a 5 hour drive if you want real PRS style matches.
View All Quotes

So disappoint am I.  I guess I'll have to lower my expectations...
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 4:27:37 AM EDT

View All Quotes

Add NC to that list as well, but Woody's may be a little over 5hrs.

I've been looking and looking for a place to use for practice and setup some steel...with no luck. I've been going to NC and setting up plates to stretch beyond 1200yds but I can't build/setup any barricades in the farmers field.

For just range time, River Bend has Hunter Shoots monthly on either the HP or silhouette range. HP is 200, 300 and 600 on paper, and silhouette range is steel out to 540ish yards. It's a nice facility, but I'm still struggling with the initiation fee.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:46:22 AM EDT
Got to keep the terrain in mind. The Atlanta area isn't exactly know for it's vast flat spaces and real estate is at a premium anywhere within 2 hours of the city. Long range is not exactly an option close to the city. That and a shit load of leftist pukes running the city doesn't help. From what I've heard, getting permits to operate a range isn't exactly easy.
The options already mentioned, are the only clubs I know of that go past 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:31:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

I've been looking and looking for a place to use for practice and setup some steel...with no luck. I've been going to NC and setting up plates to stretch beyond 1200yds but I can't build/setup any barricades in the farmers field.

For just range time, River Bend has Hunter Shoots monthly on either the HP or silhouette range. HP is 200, 300 and 600 on paper, and silhouette range is steel out to 540ish yards. It's a nice facility, but I'm still struggling with the initiation fee.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

I feel your pain....I'm member down at Core in Baker Florida.  I used to drive that 1-2 times every 4-6 weeks at a min, thankfully a opportunity presented itself up by me and we've got a sweet 600yard setup now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2016 8:39:50 PM EDT by mathecb]

View Quote

Its a private range and the "Hardrock Matches" are by invite only. You can request to attend one but not necessarily open to the public. Loved shooting with those guys while I was in college, hopefully I can make it back over for a match this year. Very good people over there.

OP, its a little bit of a drive but Cool Acres Sporting Camp in Nunez, GA has a 1,200yd range. They have monthly matches, electronic scoring systems, steel, etc.... You can get their contact info off the website.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:58:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mathecb:

Its a private range and the "Hardrock Matches" are by invite only. You can request to attend one but not necessarily open to the public. Loved shooting with those guys while I was in college, hopefully I can make it back over for a match this year. Very good people over there.

OP, its a little bit of a drive but Cool Acres Sporting Camp in Nunez, GA has a 1,200yd range. They have monthly matches, electronic scoring systems, steel, etc.... You can get their contact info off the website.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mathecb:

Thanks - I'll look it up!
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:36:30 PM EDT
Fort Gordon Near Augusta has a 900 yard range open to the public. You have to be pre-approved thru the provost marshal to carry a weapon on base. Last time I did it the process was fill out the app and they run a background check, then you are good for a year. this is a flat range with no backstop so a spotter is important, google TASC shooting club.
It is cheap but you pay for it in the red tape before you can get on the range.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:06:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Scottv:
Fort Gordon Near Augusta has a 900 yard range open to the public. You have to be pre-approved thru the provost marshal to carry a weapon on base. Last time I did it the process was fill out the app and they run a background check, then you are good for a year. this is a flat range with no backstop so a spotter is important, google TASC shooting club.
It is cheap but you pay for it in the red tape before you can get on the range.
View Quote

Thanks, will do!
Top Top