Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 2:31:42 PM EDT
Chief has signed my forms and I got my fingerprints taken as well, so I brought my lower to reputable gun store for engraving. But they do not want to engrave it for me because according to them if I am not approved then it would be illegal for altering the firearm. I never heard of this and I don't believe that it's the case at all ... what the heck!?

Ohh, they also told me that I cannot abbreviate my name (e.g. J. Smith), it has to be exact on the form. Really!?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
you have to get it engraved after your approved.  Some will ask to see your tax stamp before engraving.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you have to get it engraved after your approved.  Some will ask to see your tax stamp before engraving.
View Quote

Not true with every engraver, but it's the best way to go in case there's a problem.  In the past, I've had stuff engraved before I got the form, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (I engraved something, then changed my mind and didn't end up completing the ATF app).
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Play it safe. When you have the stamp, then have it done.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Chief has signed my forms and I got my fingerprints taken as well, so I brought my lower to reputable gun store for engraving. But they do not want to engrave it for me because according to them if I am not approved then it would be illegal for altering the firearm. I never heard of this and I don't believe that it's the case at all ... what the heck!?

Ohh, they also told me that I cannot abbreviate my name (e.g. J. Smith), it has to be exact on the form. Really!?

View Quote

A couple things:
I'm assuming this is JoJo's....and if so yea they wont touch it until you have your stamp in hand.
But, that is certainly not true about altering the firearm.  You can have anything you want engraved on an AR receiver, and obviously your name and address.  
Its their store their rules, but I'd really like to know the real reason why they dont want to do it in advance, seeing as the reason they give is not true....
As far as your name....it has to be EXACTLY as it appears on your Form.  There is no question about this.
You do have another option though.....send it to one of the engravers outside of CT.  They'll do it whenever.  I cant think of the companies names though, there are a few good ones, with quick turnaround times.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The concern with engraving beforehand is that if the ATF makes you correct some form errors (i.e. forgot to include "the" in your trust name), you're up a creek.

The concern with engraving afterwards is that if that lower gets losts by the shipper, you've lost a very expensive lower.

I've used Gray Laser a number of times with great results.  The guy is good on comms and doesn't make you wait weeks or months.

My guess with the JoJo's policy is that once you have your stamp they know EXACTLY what to engrave, in case the customer isn't a detailed oriented guy or precise in his understanding of NFA laws ("The ATF said it was OK to abbreviate my trust name, I swear.")
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for your responses guys!

I don't mind to have it engrave before or after and I want to play safe. But is it really illegal to engrave your lower? What is it different if I want to engrave my name or a logo or heck a zombie since it's still a regular lower?

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
You can do it yourself. There are laws on how deep and stuff like that. It must be exactly like your paperwork.

SBR
Joe blow trust
Bristol CT....
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't mind to have it engrave before or after and I want to play safe. But is it really illegal to engrave your lower? What is it different if I want to engrave my name or a logo or heck a zombie since it's still a regular lower?
View Quote

Just a guess here, but I suspect you can engrave whatever you want as long as you don't remove or augment the relevant manufacturer info and serial number.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
^^^ I don't believe the font height minimum applies to SBR engravings.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#11]
You could decoratively engrave your firearms all day long without ATF approval so why would engraving your name and address need ATF approval ???????
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
You could decoratively engrave your firearms all day long without ATF approval so why would engraving your name and address need ATF approval ???????
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out "Engrave your gift" in New Britain.....the guy has a pretty nice laser set-up, I called him up, drove over to his place and he engraved it while i waited...it was a lot cheaper that sending it out to Ident Marking, and it came out great.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Check out "Engrave your gift" in New Britain.....the guy has a pretty nice laser set-up, I called him up, drove over to his place and he engraved it while i waited...it was a lot cheaper that sending it out to Ident Marking, and it came out great.
View Quote

Winner
I went here also
He used to be a gunsmith at a custom barrel shop

$17 30 minutes while i waited
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Winner
I went here also

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winner
I went here also

I'll  have to give him a shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top