Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 5:30:19 PM EDT
Ok just recieved my used ar upper.  It is a A2 config.  

Is the rear sight supposed to "wiggle" some?  Looks like there is a small spring in the left side of the rear sight.  It is pushing the sigt assy to the left.  I can turn the base to the right some. But it "springs" back to the left.  

Is this correct?

Should there be another spring on the right side to balance each other out?

Thanks,

Buzz.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The infamous rear sight cant question!  

It's perfectly normal.  It's designed that way so the rear sight is always in the same place for accuracy purposes.  It's for consistency purposes.  There's a spring and ball bearing in there pushing the left side of the sight out from the handle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Buzzstrike,

How large is the gap on the left side (as you hold the piece) of the rifle, between the front of the rear sight base and the rear of the receiver?

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a little thicker than a business card.   But there is that "wiggle" room.  Which doesn't set well with me
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends, does the gap narrow as you run the elevation up?

Run the sight base all the way to the top and tell me which side (front or back) has the highest thread.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I'll try to get a pic up of the rear sight.  But I have another question.  How can I tell who made the upper?  There is this mark on the right rear side of the carry handle, in front of the rear sight.  I'll try to add that in the pic also.

How Do you add pics?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It can be difficult identifying an upper as the markings are typically from the foundry that forged the upper, but here is a site that shows a few of the markings and what they usually stand for...

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How Do you add pics?

First you need an online host for the pic then you post a link to the image enlosed by url and /url in brackets []

If you replace the {} in the following example with [] the code would look like what is shown below.

{url}http://www.yourdomain.com/yourimage.jpg{/url}
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top