Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:01:00 PM EDT
I went to a smith and got a light turned on for full breakdown of my 1911. I have read volumes of material but reading through takes so much time and so often is not accompanied my the corrected or altered instruction one may need to put it all back correctly. Is there anyone available or a smith willing to show someone willing to learn every step and question to address in the AR platform? I want to be able to clean and be able to check / double check my rifle completely.
Maybe we can get a few newbs together at once with our respective unloaded rifles for a workshop?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The first time I cleaned my AR the Bushmaster Manual that came with it was very helpful.  Various links from this website have helped me a great deal with other things.

I bet a rough idea as to your location in Indiana would be helpful though.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The first time I cleaned my AR the Bushmaster Manual that came with it was very helpful.  Various links from this website have helped me a great deal with other things.

I bet a rough idea as to your location in Indiana would be helpful though.  

+1 on searching the AR-15 forums here....very helpful
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]
South side of Indianapolis.
I got this rifle 2nd hand no book or box.  
Just not wanting to dissasemble further than I should.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
South side of Indianapolis.
I got this rifle 2nd hand no book or box.  
Just not wanting to dissasemble further than I should.

Marion County, I assume?

This might help you out in the meantime:

www.ar15.com/content/manuals/
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be willing to take a look at anything and show what I know, M16's aren't any different. Try TM 05538C_23&P that's the military Manual for the M16 series for the most part few little differences but nothing major, I'd be up for a workshop too I'm an Armorer for the United States Marine Corps so there's my credentials.

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a certified AR-15/M-16 armorer on the west side of Indy. I'd be up for an informal workshop on the basics if we have folks so inclined. Good excuse for a meet-and-greet, if nothing else!

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess the biggest mistake I could make is forgetting the bolt cam pin.
Now I guess the next breakdown I will work on the chamber area.
Don't know how many would show up if something was set up. Just following the directions may not show folks other tricks not in the book. Looks like people who know are willing.
Anyone else interested in doing this?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm a certified AR-15/M-16 armorer on the west side of Indy. I'd be up for an informal workshop on the basics if we have folks so inclined. Good excuse for a meet-and-greet, if nothing else!

Another certified AR-15/M16 armorer here, but I'm two hours south of Indy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Another certified AR-15/M16 armorer here, but I'm two hours south of Indy.

Dave, what part of "Good excuse for a meet-and-greet" don't you understand?

Seriously, though. I think the up-one-side/down-the-other nomenclature review and basic field-stripping/light maintenance procedures that Sully presented in the AC, would make an excellent primer for new AR owners.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
So long as it's not the 2nd weekend of the month I can usually do it whenever where ever. Shall we bring tools?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahhh   AR15 requires tools? And does the gas chamber require constant cleaning?
I think I am good for the first weekend of the Jan or would Feb be better?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And does the gas chamber require constant cleaning?

Do you mean the gas tube? If so -- no, it never needs cleaning. The pressure of the gas will keep it blown out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey M4 Madness  i am 2 and half hrs south of indy and i would really be intrested in a workshop for the AR15 and i know a few buddies that would love to go also.  If you deside to host one be sure to post it here and ill get some folks together.  Sounds like a great idea. by the way where do you think would be a good place to have one any ideas i dont mind a hr drive.  Im 45 miles north of evansville.  I could probly get including my self  5 other guys to attend depending on the day of week. sat or sun would be best.  Let us all know. be nice to meet all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey M4 Madness  i am 2 and half hrs south of indy...

What county do you live in? I'm in Lawrence County near Bedford.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Pike here   check your IM  im up for a workshop
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
1st weekend in febuary good time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#17]
New AR15 owner here... I'd be interested...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Seriously, though. I think the up-one-side/down-the-other nomenclature review and basic field-stripping/light maintenance procedures that Sully presented in the AC, would make an excellent primer for new AR owners.

I know how to field-strip my ARs, but I'd be up for a dose of Sully's wisdom.  

Any suggestions for a place to do it that has enough room and won't choke on "AR-15"?  I think the Gander Mtn stores have a conference room.  They'd at least be gun-friendly, but they don't sell black rifles.  Does Atlanta CC have enough indoor space?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#19]
M4Madness    have you gave it anymore thought of having a workshop on the AR15 thing?  Got any places in mind or maybe even a sat or sunday it could be done for us down here in southern Indiana?  I would be up to it you are only alittle over a hr drive for me.  If  you do comeup with a place date or any info on this subject please Post it here so we can make it happen.  Im sure others in our part of the state would also be interested and  take the whole day do the walkthrough thing and meet and greet as well.  Sounds like a good all around idea and day to me.  Keep us posted Please.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#20]
ACC is kinda far north for them southsiders as for indoor space with the group we're talking here wouldn't be hard to accomodate. I don't mind though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#21]
AH my schedule is making room for new events.
1/28 going to Evansville to check out 2nd Amd Patriots. link below
2/4 trying to arange an Indpls FTF meet about RKBA activities. link below
On call the 7th and 8th.
Free 1/14-16,  2/11-12, 2/18-19.

Any of these dates good? Added poll question.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=171354
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't mind showing someone the ropes to AR-15 building, maintenance, and troubleshooting when I can find the time. My home is in disarray right now due to remodelling. I'm probably not going to start on it again until early March, so I wouldn't want to host anything here before then with busted-up drywall, etc. If we could find someone between Indy and Bloomington to host a location, I'd be up for helping out. You'd all have to tinker with your own AR-15's though, as I can't provide a demo model.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump!
I am tied up 1st weekend of Feb. Trying to get a FTF for organizing RKBA participants. Maybe in the morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top