Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/19/2008 8:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 8:58:02 PM EDT by jasonfin1128]
Anyone in the Puyallup/Tacoma area that would be free tomorrow (Sunday) or one evening this coming week?

I just need a quick inspection of the upper and maybe some tweaking. Something looks a little off between the rails and the FSB and I cant quite put my finger on it.

ETA: The upper is completely assembled. Did so today. Cant get a close enough picture however on the fsb.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:06:58 PM EDT
Let us know what the problem was when you find out!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:35:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BadassWeakling:
Let us know what the problem was when you find out!

The FSB/Gas block is a hair off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:01:04 PM EDT
Sight picture SEEMS fine. May be more cosmetic that anything else.

From the build it yourself section:

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Q5. "I installed my barrel, but my FSB seems canted in one direction, and in order to zero, I had to move my rear sight all the way to one side, and sometimes it still wont zero because I ran out of windage"

A5. This is a direct quote from Homo_Erectus on the issue:

This is a very common problem with a very easy fix. It's caused by small differences between the upper receiver notch and barrel pin. And here's how you fix it:

Unscrew the barrel nut. With the barrel in the upper receiver, check the sight alignment by eyeballing it. If it's canted to one side, try and twist the barrel in the upper. If it won't move far enough, then take a jeweler's file and very carefully file the side of the upper receiver notch to open it up until the front sight can sit up straight.

Before reinstalling the barrel nut, you have to tighten up the receiver notch so the barrel won't move around while you're cranking down on the nut. With the barrel in the receiver, take a small hammer and punch and very lightly peen down the loose side of the notch. Careful, tap lightly because it doesn't take much. What you'll see is a slight flattening of the threasd right next to the barrel pin. That's it!

This really easy, and doesn't entail doing anything to the FSB.

Since the sight picture seems fine, I am not sure about how much work I would do on it. I’ll just get a second opinion next chance I get.

Has anyone else expierenced this?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:43:32 PM EDT
IM me, we'll work sumpin out. I'm home all day tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:52:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PCR-00:
IM me, we'll work sumpin out. I'm home all day tomorrow.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:19:54 AM EDT
The barrel alignment pin can rotate either way in the upper receiver as it's got some wiggle room, not much but it could account for it being a hair off. I say shoot it and see...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:59:06 PM EDT
PCR went over the upper and at first we thought we may half to do what is described above. The FSB was canted a bit, but since it is the YHM FSB W/Gasblock, he tilled the sight a bit to straiten it and it seems fine. Gas Tube is now strait as well (previously it caused the tube to angle). Next I purchase a Bolt/Carrier and shoot it!

Thanks PCR!
Top Top