Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 8:29:58 PM EDT
I found a pre ban Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot to build my Sig Brace AR pistol and was wondering if I could do a M&P-15 .22LR pistol version with a pinned muzzle break or the HK model.  If I want it, it's probably not allowed in CT.  The weight on the plastic copies should be under the limit and other than the mag not in the grip it sounds do-a-ble,no? I thought I heard there was a .22LR exception, but is that only on rifles?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a virgin pre-ban, never assembled into a rifle, you can build anything. Pre-ban is just that, no weight limits or other restrictions.

If it was ever made into a rifle, it will require a form 1 for a barrel under 16", regardless of configuration.

.22 rifles were exempted for 2 months. The June edit reapplied the AWB to .22 rifles and required registration by 1 January 2014.

There, however, was never any exemption for .22 pistols. Your best best is a pistol .22 upper for your lower.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no weight limit for ct any more but the mag outside of the grip is the naughty part that is a problem for the m&p.Someone with details may post more difinative info here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I had looked into the .22 AR pistols a while back. It's basically a no go.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no weight limit for ct any more but the mag outside of the grip is the naughty part that is a problem for the m&p.Someone with details may post more difinative info here.
View Quote

Technically the weight ban is still in effect since they reapplied the OLD law's evil features to handguns via the use of the language "(ix) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013; " in the stupid AWB law post 6/18/13.

We now have to make sure that not only does a firearm get past the new feature bans and restrictions on length but that it also gets pass the OLD law's feature ban's. So for a handgun it technically has to get past the following in order not to be considered a stupid so called assault weapon by the state.

A semiautomatic pistol manufactured post 9/13/94 that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following is considered an AW:
  • An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches at some location outside of the pistol grip
  • A threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward pistol grip or silencer
  • A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to fire the firearm without being burned, except a slide that encloses the barrel
  • A second hand grip
A semiautomatic pistol manufactured post 9/13/94 with a fixed magazine that has the ability to accept more than ten rounds is also considered an AW now.

A semiautomatic pistol manufactured post 9/13/94 that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following is considered an AW:
  • An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip
  • A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer
  • A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned
  • A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded
  • A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm
The workaround to these stupid prohibitions is to simply get a preban (like the OP indicated they had found), then the state feature and length bans don't come into play. Federal laws including NFA however still would apply.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, so unless I find another Pre-ban AR pistol for $2000 Plus, I can have a Sig Braced AR-22...  Oh well, my buckmark will have to do..
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Preban 10/22 and a Troy or similar chassis will get you kind of close.  No controls duplication
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
How about the new Uzi Pro pistols?  Mag in the grip, less weight with the plastic lower...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about the new Uzi Pro pistols?  Mag in the grip, less weight with the plastic lower...
View Quote

50oz rule doesnt apply anymore

but i belive those are legal pending any AWB feature that may have to be overcome
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
50oz rule doesnt apply anymore
View Quote

Technically the 50oz rule still applies to handguns because the old law still applies thanks to PA 13-220. But for most people they don't have to worry about the 50oz rule from the old law unless the handgun has a "barrel extender" and weighs over 50oz unloaded in that case the handgun would be deemed an AW per the stupid wording of the law. If the handgun already weigh's over 50oz unloaded adding a "barrel extender" would make it an AW under the stupid wording of the law.

To the OP's question the Uzi Pro should be CT legal so long as it doesn't have a forward pistol grip/forward grip on it. One would, if they don't already have compatible LCM's declared with the state. also have to either find 10 round magazines for it or have the FFL/gun shop pin the LCM's that come with it to 10 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top