Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 5:19:17 AM EDT
I wanted to build an AR pistol and looked into the legalities of it thouroughly before buying a kit. I called the Michigan State Police and spoke with a lady from the Firearms branch. I had a great deal of questions about my situation, but they were quickly answered (she actually seemed to know the law, imagine that).

I assembled a 10.25" A2 Pistol Kit from Model 1 on a RRA stripped lower. I put the whole thing into a big cardboard box when I took it to the Sheriff's office in Montcalm County. I was not expecting things to go well, but they went smoothly and the clerk (I think her name is Dana Smith) was helpful. I just told her that I had spoken with Deb Smith at the state Police and then assembled it myself from a kit. She had me fill out the white form while I was there. For the seller part, I just listed "Built from a kit". Thankfully there were no absurd questions like "Is that thing legal/full auto/etc?" I just listed it as a 10 shot.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So here's some answers to commonly asked questions:

1. A stripped lower is not actually considered a firearm by MI law.

2. It does not matter if it was transfered to you by a dealer as a rifle or a pistol, only that it never had a stock. Having the lower transfered as a pistol certainly wouldn't hurt.  You should have to fill out a 4473 form for a NICS check either way (but that's federal law).

3. I have a CCW permit, so I did not need to get a green purchase form.

4. The person at the MI State Police told me that there is no set time period for how long I have from when I assemble the pistol to when I register it. She used the word 'Immediately', but I am sure within 10 days would not be a problem.

5. I asked about having stripped lower registered as a pistol, if I decided to do another pistol build. I wanted to avoid having to go back to the sherrif's office since it's a PITA schedule-wise for me. I was told that there is nothing specifically illegal about registering a stripped lower as a pistol, but it is better if it is already assembled. I imagine an answer to this question may vary depending on who you ask.

The info I got from the MI State Police came from the firearms branch. Here is the contact info if you wish to call yourself.

Deb Smith
Michigan State Police
Firearms Branch

(517) 332-5518

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice info man. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. I just wish we could have SBRs in this damn state.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#2]
good info, thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The Firearms Branch of the State Police has always been very helpful and polite when I needed them. Good People that don't seem too interested in politics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top