Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 10:08:21 AM EDT
Is there a ban on lowers? i understand that the lower is the rifle , but does that mean we can no longer receive lowers?

I spoke with a FFL and he stated that nothing says anything about the lowers in the bill and he will still accept shipment of them through an FFL exchange?

Any insight would be appreciated
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there a ban on lowers? i understand that the lower is the rifle , but does that mean we can no longer receive lowers?

I spoke with a FFL and he stated that nothing says anything about the lowers in the bill and he will still accept shipment of them through an FFL exchange?

A STRIPPED receiver is a firearm that possess zero evil features and is therefore not an AW and transferrable just like it was prior to the enactment of the new law REGARDLESS of date of purchase.  It is up to you to comply with the law after taking possession.  Furthermore, you can still FTF stripped receivers until 3/15/13.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A lower is not a rifle--it is only a firearm under federal law.  In New York, a firearm must be operation--i.e. it must be capable of discharging a round of ammunition.

Google NY Criminal Jury Instructions for some insight.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A STRIPPED receiver is a firearm that possess zero evil features and is therefore not an AW and transferrable just like it was prior to the enactment of the new law REGARDLESS of date of purchase.  It is up to you to comply with the law after taking possession.  Furthermore, you can still FTF stripped receivers until 3/15/13.

So a lower ordered online, would be shipped to an FFL who is alllowed to posses it, than he can do a FTF transer to me?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So a lower ordered online, would be shipped to an FFL who is alllowed to posses it, than he can do a FTF transer to me?

yes but the way your saying it might confuse people when you try to buy it. FTF is generally understood as a person to person private sale that is legal only within state yadda yadda yadda. Order the stipped lower and give them your ffl info, your local ffl will physically hand you your stripped lower and run your 4473 and nics and you will pay a transfer.

A face to face isn't a transfer its just a private sale, no 4473 no nics, etc. the stipulations are it must be an intrastate purchase from one individual to another and you must have a reasonable belief that the other party is not prohibited from owning a firearm.

sorry if you know all this already and it was just a figure of speech, but with the amount of people in the HTF im sure there are people here who don't fully understand how it works (or used to work back when we were still free).

If you tell someone out of state, dealer, ffl or othersise that you intend to order their lower and complete a ftf they will think your talking about a straw purchase.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top