Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 9:26:47 AM EDT
I made a thread in the general area, but I'm going to post it here in hopes of getting more replies.

Ok, heres my situation. I'm joining a police academy, and I have to provide my own pistol. Unfortunately, I dont have one. I DO have a Bushmaster AR-15 A3 with a 16" barrel. Rifle is in great condition, less than 2k rounds through it. A local gunstore buys/trades firearms. If they give me enough for it, I'm going to trade it in. However, I'm not sure how much I should expect. I dont want to get low balled. I paid 900 for the damn thing! I have all the original documents that came with it, too. I also have a sightron 2 3-9X42 that I paid 200 for. Anyone know what kind of deal I should get? TIA

Temper
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Lancaster.. about 30 mins se of Columbus. I've shot a friends glock and liked it, however, i wanted a nicer pistol. I'd really like to have an HK usp tactical, but I know i can expect to pay 1200 for a new one. I've also considered a 1911 or a sig.. not real sure which to go for. I did shoot an XD and hated it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Glocks are nice pistols. Check out this thread Glock Torture Glocks are extremely durable and reliable guns. They aren't as smooth as a SIG, but the will out last them. Glock's have tenifer treated slides and barrels versus parkerized parts on all the guns you mentioned. HK is overpriced and over rated IMHO. They are large guns with ergonomics that were designed around a bears paw. The barrel is not inline with your wrist so the muzzle rise is unbelievable. The pointability of HK is no where near as easy as with a SIG or a Glock whose barrels are directly inline with your index finger. Pointability is very important, it allows the user to "point and shoot" which is exactlly what happens during a self defence situation. DON'T SELL YOUR AR! You can get a used Glock for under $400. Your Bushmaster is on backorder with over 60 people on the waiting list at Vance's. They get about 3 in during a month if their lucky! To pick one up again you'll pay $1100 or more for a used one. I live in Columbus and I have friends trying to sell handguns all the time. If you want to e-mail me I can talk to a couple of my friends and see what they have.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my AR at Buckeye outdoors, and its owned by Vance's. I think I'll end up keeping my AR. I'm thinking about borrowing money from my life insurance policy to buy one. You're the first person thats discouraged me from buying an HK.. I've also thought about buying a Beretta, but not sure. I'll email you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Id have to disagree with excist_and_reflect's opinion on the HK. Ive owned several and all where extremely nice, comfortable handguns. I think the trick with the HK is to pick the right one for your sized hand. The Tactical is quite large which can affect pointability, I own one and it is by far the best shooting firearm i have ever shot. Dunno that you need a Tac for the acadamy but they are indeed nice pistols. HK's ergonomics are great provideing you get an HK that fits your hand. If the full size USP is too large, check out the USP compacts or the P2000 line which also alows you to change the back straps to size your hand.  The compact .45 is super and fits mid size hands quite well...

I have never had any type of failure with an HK. I have however had issues with my Springfield XD, Para-Ord Warthog, Glock 22 and a couple others.... I think it boils down to, get what fits you and get one that is known for 100% reliability. If you have friends who own handguns, try to shoot as many type as you can. Dont knock a certain manufacturer because of hearsay. See how you like the gun yourself and make a judgement..  I personaly would pick HK or Sig over any other pistol maker out there...

1911's are nice but require alot of maintnance...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
ttemper, I think you would be better off to keep the AR and try to scrape the money together for your handgun. I doubt you will get much out of your Bushmaster from a shop.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
the only two pistols ive ever shot is a glock 9(dont know which model) and an xd9.. i hated the xd, it didnt feel right in my hand, and i was a horrible shot with it. i dont want something i cant qualify with. f that. I did fairly well with the glock, i know they're known for reliability, and the fact that 80% of law enforcement agencies use a glock. i didnt really want to buy used, i know i can save a lot of money.. i just have a problem with buying used for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]
ttemper,

Are there any rules for your pistol at the academy?

BTW, I have a Tactical you can try out for size and fit.  It's not for sale, but I'd be happy to let you try it on for size.   I would also suggest the CZ-75.  A great gun for the money.  I could bring one of those too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think it boils down to, get what fits you and get one that is known for 100% reliability. If you have friends who own handguns, try to shoot as many type as you can. Dont knock a certain manufacturer because of hearsay. See how you like the gun yourself and make a judgement..  I personaly would pick HK or Sig over any other pistol maker out there...

1911's are nice but require alot of maintnance...

a +1 it is the reason I don't have a Glock.  They just don't feel right in my hand and point naturally.  My guess is that its the grip angle.    Nothing wrong with the Glock other than it doesn't feel as comfortable as the 1911 ( or Makarov) and I'd rather have something that just  gets on target easy.

I'm not sure how the gun store in Lancaster has rental guns but I've said grumpy things in the past about New Albany but damn they have a fine selection of guns that you can rent and see what feels good.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll throw in my 2 cents even though my advise may not be worth that much. As noted above, try as many different brands and types as you can to see what fits your hand best. Pick up each pistol (unloaded) and without shifting your grip, bring it up on a safe target and see where the sights line up. Try this several times by setting each pistol down and regripping each time.

If it fits you, your natural grip should line allow the sights to be on target or very close. If the sights are off to either side or too far up or down, it doesn't point naturally for you. Since this will be a duty gun, this may give you a slight advantage in low light or a fast draw where you may not have the light or time to line up the sights.

I assume you know this but there may be noobs that read this topic and this is the advise I give to everyone that ask me "what gun should I buy".
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ttemper,

Are there any rules for your pistol at the academy?

BTW, I have a Tactical you can try out for size and fit.  It's not for sale, but I'd be happy to let you try it on for size.   I would also suggest the CZ-75.  A great gun for the money.  I could bring one of those too.

the only rules is it has to be 9mm or 40, or 45. and cabable of double action fire.  are you located in central ohio? im willing to drive to you to shoot it. if i really like it, i'll buy one at whatever expense i have to. as i said before, ive only shot two pistols. a glock 9, and an xd9. glock was alright. xd was terrible. CZ-jeff, if youre located in central ohio, shoot me a pm. i'd love to shoot your HK.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're restricted to a DA handgun the Glock may likely not qualify.  Most people consider it more of an SA than DA though the Glockheads will argue the point.  It doesn't matter what they think, what matters is what your academy and potential employer do.

I'd opt for a used SIG P220.  CDNN has used P220s with the accessory rail and night sights for $479.  If you prefer something smaller and more affordable, they have P229s in either .40 or .357SIG for $389.  If that's still out of your budget, look at the P226 in 9mm for $349.

IMHO, the Glock is a nice gun but it's not s SIG and never will be.

You won't find the firearms on their site, but they are in the downloadable catalog.

Good luck!

Edited to add - If you want an awesome opportunity to try a ton of different handguns, you really should come out to Millers next weekend.   Look at the "Second Annual Frozen Buckeye" thread for details.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Red-Leg is right. Millers would be a great place to try a lot of different handguns. Everyone is friendly and willing to share thier toys. I can bring my Glock 21 and a 92F. You will have to suffer through shooting several MGs though!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#15]
where is millers and what times will it be held? the reason i ask is that i work saturday-monday next weekend, and i work 6a-6p. so i doubt i'll be able to :( im off this weekend though.

EDIT to add, i dont think the double action is a big deal. a couple of my friends went throught the same academy, and they used a glock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#16]
TTEMPER

My 2 cents, don't sell your rifle, you will be very sorry. The three handguns to look at are Sigs my favorite (carried a 220, and 226 for several years on the street, Glock (carried those as well) and H&K. Look around you can find a Used Glock, or Sig under $425.00. I know of a Sig 226 right now for $425.00 which is a great buy.

SHOTAR right - OPTA doesn't care which weapon you have, and unless you are hired by a small department most department will issue you a sidearm of there choose.  Hell if, knew you better, I would let you use one of my Semi-auto to complete your training. I remember the days when I started in LE, I had a friend lend me his wheel gun Good old Model 66. Yes I said a wheel gun. I know of a situation where a new recruit went to the bank and got a signature loan from his local bank to purchase his duty weapon, use his old truck to secure his loan. Hell check out that option, but don’t sell a gun to by a gun right now. If push comes to shove, email me and I will help.  

But do you really want to be a cop, it’s a thankless job. Trust me.

coppercollarworker
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm not sure how the gun store in Lancaster has rental guns but I've said grumpy things in the past about New Albany but damn they have a fine selection of guns that you can rent and see what feels good.  

We have an indoor shooting range, and they rent guns that you can shoot. I'd go in and rent some but I need all the cash I can get. Which place are you talking about in New Albany? Are you talking about the powder room?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
We have an indoor shooting range, and they rent guns that you can shoot. I'd go in and rent some but I need all the cash I can get. Which place are you talking about in New Albany? Are you talking about the powder room?

Was thinking of New Albany Shooting Range

It wouldn't be real cheap though  Come on down to Millers on Saturday, don't need to hang around after dark and you can shoot anything I have though only have 1 that would fit the 'duty weapon' and DA requirement.  I brought 2 pistols and an AR last time gathering and must have shot 10 different pistols and an equal number of rifles.  Is a generally overly friendly bunch who gets a kick out of other people shooting thier stuff "you've gotta try this" is often repeated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was thinking of New Albany Shooting Range

It wouldn't be real cheap though hang

Unfortunately, I have to work 6a-6p next weekend and wont be able to make it. i'm about 2 hours away from Millers. :sadface: maybe next time though. my academy doesnt start till march 8th, so maybe there will be another one before then.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#20]
ttemper-  I live in Columbus and go shooting up at Blackwing pretty often. I've got a few Glocks, 45ACP, and some 1911's and my bro-in-law has many Glocks in 9mm, 40, 45 and 357Sig.
If you want to try and get together for a test shoot during the week let me know and I'll have a talk with my bro-in-law. F.Y.I.- It would have to be after 5:30PM.

-Eric
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
ttemper

I too am starting the Police Academy. I start  at Delaware Adult Career Center in FEB. Trust me, you DON'T want to drop $1200 on a HK and then get on a dept that won't let you carry it. Put $300-$400 into a Glock 17/19/22/23 as these are the most common service weapons in Central OH. They are all OK with any dept I can think of here with the exception of those depts that issue weapons. Hell, you COULD get a $190 S&W Mod 10 from SOG and use that in the Academy. You'll want to wait until you get on a dept and then get a pistol from their "approved" list.

Just like the other guys, I have a Membership at New Albany (I live in Whitehall) and you are more than welcome to come try out any of my pistols to see what you like (I have available a HK USP45, Beretta 92FS, Colt 1911) and I can rent pistols at NASR for $10. Let me know, and good luck!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd love to shoot your Beretta, as thats one of the pistols im considering getting. Also i sent you an email.

how much should i expect to pay for a used beretta? I bought a box of 9mm ammo 6 months ago to shoot but never got to. i wouldnt mind getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#26]
If you're at Millers on saturday, I'll have my Sig P226 9mm with me and you can try that. I'll be the only true English speaking American
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
i did not read the whole post. but did you make sure that any of the pistols that you are conserdiring are allowed by the department. i would hate for you to get one and then find out that you cant carry it. just a thought
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top