Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2007 6:36:21 PM EDT
how bout sunday july 15 2007 for another Princeton iowa shoot. last one was alot of fun. met alot of good people, and seen some kick arse weapons. how bout 9am meet at the benchrests at the range. then after wards who ever wants to join, go over to the fairyland for some awesome all you can eat shrimp and chicken.

i figured the date is out far enough for people to make plans. IPSC is the following weekend, 4th is before this and everyone graduation parties is over. Plus for everyone who gets stuck working saturdays well guess what this is on a sunday. so who's in???

1) colbyjack (chris)
2)
3)
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
how bout sunday july 15 2007 for another Princeton iowa shoot. last one was alot of fun. met alot of good people, and seen some kick arse weapons. how bout 9am meet at the benchrests at the range. then after wards who ever wants to join, go over to the fairyland for some awesome all you can eat shrimp and chicken.

i figured the date is out far enough for people to make plans. IPSC is the following weekend, 4th is before this and everyone graduation parties is over. Plus for everyone who gets stuck working saturdays well guess what this is on a sunday. so who's in???

1) colbyjack (chris)
2) Custom-Concepts (Joe)
3)

Provided I don't have to work.  Got the rotation thing on Sundays too.  But this is enough advance notice that I can request off.
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
possibly...
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Count me in if I don't have to work
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
who ever had the 50 last time let me know and ill burn the vid for ya on a CD i cant get it to upload. -chris
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought someone should warn you that the Black Flies, AKA Buffalo Gnats, are terrible out there.

They are attracted to you, get in your hair, in your face, under your shirt, etc.

They bite hard, draw blood, and if you are like most people, you will itch and swell up like it was a mosquito.

These bastards are thick right now for some reason.  Time of day doesn't
seem to matter.  If you can see well enough to shoot, they can see well enough to bite.

And no bug spray deters them.  Not even DEET.

I won't be going back to Princeton until late fall after the frost has slowed them down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
try asorbine jr, we use it when fishing the canals while in the brush. we were getting eatin alive by the nats. on the way home we got stoped by a road worker sign person. he seen the poles in the back and asked if we got anything. lol we said gnat bites. he said some old local told him about it, and it keep him from gettin bit. i tried it and it works on gnats but not skeeters. -chris
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Another good bug repelant is Skin-So-Soft bath oil.  You get from the AVON lady.  Great stuff.  We used on out last fishing trip down to Lake Belva Deer and it kept the nats away pretty good

Matt
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
what else do you buy from the avon lady matt....... hehehehe just ribbin ya -chris
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Wouldn't you like to know Chris..haha
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Robert,

Will send you an email next day or so about some of the goodies I want/need.  If it works out ok for ya possibly bring it to Princeton.

Definately bring the DPMS .308 !!!  Is it the SASS?  Hope so.  I wanna try one out before I start pimping them out too much .

colbyjack  -- What was the dates on the IDPA shoot?  I forgot to write it down.  Gotta check the work scheduel to make sure I can go.

Thanks,
Joe
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

PS. I have a bug fogger that puts out a mountain of smoke.....

Bring that, and I'll try to be there with my wife.

Last time we were out there, nobody stayed long due to the black flies.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I might try to make it, bring the p90 and the FS2000 if nothing else..
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]
robert im in for a few of the tannerite things. i also sent a few guys your way for black rifles from iowaoutdoors.org

joe the dates on the IPSC matches are june 24, july 22, august 25/26 2 day shoot, 10 stage match instead of 5 stage the big one, sept 30, and october 28........

i hope RRA brings out or lets us get some toys to use. how bout a hat steve.... lol

all we need is a smokegernade to take care of the gnats, any body have one? ill just bring my bugspray.

joe we normally meet for breakfast in milan and try to get to the club around 8 or 830 -chris
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought someone should warn you that the Black Flies, AKA Buffalo Gnats, are terrible out there.

They are attracted to you, get in your hair, in your face, under your shirt, etc.

They bite hard, draw blood, and if you are like most people, you will itch and swell up like it was a mosquito.

These bastards are thick right now for some reason.  Time of day doesn't
seem to matter.  If you can see well enough to shoot, they can see well enough to bite.

And no bug spray deters them.  Not even DEET.

I won't be going back to Princeton until late fall after the frost has slowed them down.

I was out there Saturday, didn't see any bugs.  They are out there, but I've never had a problem with just using bug spray.

As far as the shoot...  I really enjoyed the last one, but I am going to be out of town that weekend.  You guys have fun!
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The bugs can be very bad on some days and other days their not there. For some strange reason I'm there 1-3 times a week. Wed. evening hardly noticed them.

I was using the Deet 100% and it didn't help much but the cigars will chase them away. Will be trying a few of the other items mentioned.

If we can find any .50 bmg ammo would be happy to bring one out.

Also if anyone want to try out a some differnt AKs (Pistols 9" barrel, AMD65 and Romainian). Can bring drums if you want to try them too. Will have some ammo but if you want to shoot them a lot bring some ammo to make sure you get a turn.

Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Lets talk targets;

Pop; will bring a case or two
laundry soap containers; couple

Link Posted: 6/7/2007 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I can bring a case or two of clays, a couple dozen eggs & golf tees.  Might even try to pick a spare target or two  
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#21]
If I make I'lll probably have my AR, Mosin-Nagant, M1 carbine and my 9 mm and 45 acp and like Tommy said bring some ammo if you wanna shoot a alot of mags.

Link Posted: 6/7/2007 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
lets have a shoot off, gumballs off the golf tee 100 yards..... see who can shoot 3 off with the least amount of shots. -chris
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm up for the challenge!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
lets have a shoot off, gumballs off the golf tee 100 yards..... see who can shoot 3 off with the least amount of shots. -chris

I hope to be in good enough shape by then. Finally had my surgery the 30th and still am not very spry yet. Be about another week before I am able to do much of anything.

Gumballs off golf tees at 100. I have a load for my 20" SS that may be up to the task.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If I make I'lll probably have my AR, Mosin-Nagant, M1 carbine and my 9 mm and 45 acp and like Tommy said bring some ammo if you wanna shoot a alot of mags.

Hey ford shooter you looking to buy any ammo for your M1 Carbine?
i have around 1400 rounds i would like to get rid of. Here is what i got.

very little 1943 WWC ( like 15- 20 rounds)
very little  1952 RA (like 20- 25 rounds)
rest is 1967 LC
total of above loose brass 315 rounds
150 rounds of bass Poongsan Metal Co. boxed
50 rounds of brass PMC boxed
900 rounds of steel cased new Wolf boxed

for a total of 1415 total rounds

And i was looking the other day and i found two 20 round mags in a mag pouch that look like new i would throw in on the deal if you want.

E3
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Iron Sights?

I couldn't see 'em at 100 if they were filled with uranium and it was night time.  Sounds like a challenge.  Maybe someone (with more graphic artist creativity) can make up a 'bragging rights' award for the winner.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iron Sights?

I couldn't see 'em at 100 if they were filled with uranium and it was night time.  Sounds like a challenge.  Maybe someone (with more graphic artist creativity) can make up a 'bragging rights' award for the winner.

iron sights???? whats that, my AR didnt come with any of them ...... -chris
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I would love to attend a shoot, but am not certain what my schedule will be on the date given.  

BTW, Tannerite is AWESOME!  I got to shoot one off once.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]
i'd love to show up. plus it would give me a reason to run over to RRA and get a lower but Princeton is about 2.3 hours from desmoines......
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Plus you won't want to miss out on the chicken and shrimp. I think everyone was please with that part of the shoot last time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Plus you won't want to miss out on the chicken and shrimp. I think everyone was please with that part of the shoot last time.

Only problem I had with the lunch is that I wasn't that hungry and I was looking forward to over stuffing myself with shrimp!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
and Illinois 24hr wait once approved (long gun, even if just receiver).  

Does that apply to Iowa residence with a pistol purchase permit?
(those permits allow us to walk out with rifle/pistol the same day it is purchased)
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#34]
from my experience no.  I bought a pistol in IL and just had to have it transfered into IA.  No 24 hour wait when i did it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm an Iowa FFL and it could be transfered to me, then form 4473 to BionicSniper.  If that would help out.

Nominal Fee (of course )
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I am scheduled to be off that weekend. The last one was fun. Our new plant is starting up, so lots of OT.

Gumballs off golf tees. Hmm. I got a scope, a 20" varmint upper(un-used), and a RRA 2 stage trigger from White Oak. All this needs to be put together into one gun. Probably my Hesse Dispatcher, just because it will freak people out. Maybe I will even clean the Kimber so it will function better.

Hope to be there.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#38]
BTT, im bringing the shotgun to bust some clays. -chris
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#39]
so whos all in for sure???

im going and a buddy from CR will be there along with friend mike and his buddy Tim.  -

1- colbyjack
2-mike
3-tim
4-jason
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
so whos all in for sure???

im going and a buddy from CR will be there along with friend mike and his buddy Tim.  -

1- colbyjack
2-mike
3-tim
4-jason
5-custom-concepts (Joe)

Both my boys are planning on being there, I think my boss is going to make it and possibly a couple of customers.  Not sure but the more the merrier.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#42]
well ill be there in the morning around 9 or so, ill stay till about 1130 or noon then to lunch at fairyland. wife has the day planned for me. -chris
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend.  Have some family activities to partake in.  

I'd still like to meet some of you crazy bastards  Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#44]
9am sounds good.  We should be there about then, just depends on a couple of other peoples schedules.

Chris -- I'll bring a couple boxes of clays and a hand thrower if you want.  Goes for anyone if they wanna bring a shotty and bust some birds.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I plan on making it. 9AM is early for me but I'll try draggin' my lazy butt out of bed early enough.

Is the jelly bean thing a go? If so I gotta make sure I get some of my best load made up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Is the jelly bean thing a go? If so I gotta make sure I get some of my best load made up.

I thought eggs at first, then it went down to gum balls now jelly beans?  Why do the targets keep getting smaller??!!??

Link Posted: 7/12/2007 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought eggs at first, then it went down to gum balls now jelly beans?  Why do the targets keep getting smaller??!!??

Maybe it was gumballs. I didn't read back through everything. Jellybeans would be a challenge.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#48]
i got some frozen pea's we can try off the golf tees..... lol -chris
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
i got some frozen pea's we can try off the golf tees..... lol -chris

Bite me.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Range Report from my point of view.

I came unprepared.  

Forgot the sun screen, so we left early because my wife and I were getting burned.
We normally go in the evening, so the sun isn't usually an issue.

Forgot to bring something to drink.  Bright sun made me hot and thirsty.

Lots of great people came out.  Not nearly enough wandered over to shoot the AR-50.
Those that did seemed to like it.

I felt out of place because I didn't know anyone.
And I had no way of knowing who was a member here.

I wish I had taken a pic of the guy who parked his rock crawler Jeep CJ on the boulder.

I thought it was awesome, but the County Cop thought otherwise and kicked him out.

I thought that was a little extreme, but at least he wasn't issued a ticket.

A DNR officer showed up and lectured everyone on keeping the range safe/clean.
He claims there are some changes on the way. (believe it when I see it)
Eventually having a concession area, a place where you can buy snacks and targets.
Eventually installing trap throwers.  
Eventually having a dumpster for trash.

Stronger enforcement of the DNR rules regarding the types of targets allowed.
Clay pigeons, paper targets, and steel silhouettes ONLY.
Soooo...  I put my Tannerite away.  Hope the two I shot didn't offend anyone
out there, but Tannerite is safe, fun, and everyone should try it at least once.

Next time we do this, someone should be designated "point of contact".
Let everyone know how to identify him, so when we show up we know who
to approach first so we can be properly introduced to everyone.

Oh yea, and some jerk-wad ass-hat showed up with his little boy and started
picking up Joe's (custom concepts) brass.    

Joe stood there for a minute with a look of utter disbelief before telling the guy
to shove off.  I couldn't tell if the guy was looking for a fight, or having trouble
wrapping his brain around what Joe was saying, but he sure acted like he thought
the brass was fair game.  He finally backed down, got in his truck, and left.

Oh yea, another new rule per the DNR officer:  Pick up your spent brass.

I'm sure there are a LOT more comments than just mine,
but I happen to be the only one who has taken time to type them out so far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top