Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
Anyone know a competent AR15 gunsmith.  I have a short stroke problem that needs fixing.
Live in far NW suburbs of Chicago.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked to see if your gas carrier key is loose?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas carrier key tight.
Bushmaster 16" upper with Cmore free float handguard.  Purchased at least 2-3 years (so out of warranty) ago but not fired until this year.  Not a magazine or lower problem (switched between lowers and still a problem).  Will not lock bolt back after last round even if lower part of blot release is depressed.  Will cycle and fire, just won't lock back on last round.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The rifle is probably not getting enough gas to cycle all the way, just enough to strip a fresh round...

I had the same problem with a rifle, most likely there is a problem with your gas tube.  Inspect it for a crack, hole, or an excessive amount of carbon fouling where it enters the FSB.

Even though it is theoretically out of warranty, give Bushmaster a call, explain that you hadn't fired the rifle until recently and the issue.  It would not suprise me if they were willing to fix it since something obviously was wrong when it left the factory.

Worst case scenario, you can replace the gas tube for about $15.  Quite a few of us in IL have the know-how to do it, and will usually do it just for the fun of getting to fix a rifle and show off.

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Cracked or leaking gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gas carrier key tight.
Bushmaster 16" upper with Cmore free float handguard.  Purchased at least 2-3 years (so out of warranty) ago but not fired until this year.  Not a magazine or lower problem (switched between lowers and still a problem).  Will not lock bolt back after last round even if lower part of bolt release is depressed.  Will cycle and fire, just won't lock back on last round.

How many different mags have you tried??

Did you do this while pulling the charging handle back manually or while actually firing the last round??

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot a couple of hundred rounds theough the rifle and see if this doesn't solve your problem. Had the same thing happen with my BM and a freind suggested I do the same. Problem fixed itself. New guns are very tight cycling will loosen them up.

Good luck,

DuxRus
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you checked to make sure the gas rings are ok?  My brother had the exact same problem and it was as simple as making sure the rings were all staggered.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The rifle is probably not getting enough gas to cycle all the way, just enough to strip a fresh round...

I had the same problem with a rifle, most likely there is a problem with your gas tube.  Inspect it for a crack, hole, or an excessive amount of carbon fouling where it enters the FSB.

Even though it is theoretically out of warranty, give Bushmaster a call, explain that you hadn't fired the rifle until recently and the issue.  It would not suprise me if they were willing to fix it since something obviously was wrong when it left the factory.

Worst case scenario, you can replace the gas tube for about $15.  Quite a few of us in IL have the know-how to do it, and will usually do it just for the fun of getting to fix a rifle and show off.

I 2nd calling BM. No reason not too, I'm sure they would charge less than your average IL gunsmith, and do a heck of a better job.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I 2nd calling BM. No reason not too, I'm sure they would charge less than your average IL gunsmith, and do a heck of a better job.

Yes I agree, Bushmaster can do a much better job tapping out a roll pin and pulling out a gas tube that anyone else in the world. Come on dude!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shoot a couple of hundred rounds theough the rifle and see if this doesn't solve your problem. Had the same thing happen with my BM and a freind suggested I do the same. Problem fixed itself. New guns are very tight cycling will loosen them up.

Good luck,

DuxRus

Bushmasters are the same specs as every other AR out there. LMT makes their lowers, or did anyway. Your rifle didn't fix itself, the crud that was jammed in the gas port or tube broke loose.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck,

DuxRus

Bushmasters are the same specs as every other AR out there. LMT makes their lowers, or did anyway. Your rifle didn't fix itself, the crud that was jammed in the gas port or tube broke loose.

I think the "L" prefix lowers were supposed to be made by LAR and the "BFI" prefix lowers were supposed to be made in house.

I also recommend giving Bushmaster a call and seeing what they can do.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck,

DuxRus

I think the "L" prefix lowers were supposed to be made by LAR and the "BFI" prefix lowers were supposed to be made in house.

I also recommend giving Bushmaster a call and seeing what they can do.

WIZZO

They do make their own lowers? I didn't know that, I thought Oly was really one of the few bigger names that made their own lowers. Who is LAR?
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
All I know is that LAR makes some of Bushmaster's lowers, along with Grizzly, and other lowers for smaller-name AR companies.

WIZZO

EDIT: As far as I know, the BFI ones are shipped as bare forgings to Bushmaster, where they finish them. I think the LAR-made ones are machined and finished and them sent to Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I agree, Bushmaster can do a much better job tapping out a roll pin and pulling out a gas tube that anyone else in the world. Come on dude!!

DUDE!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Called Bushmaster and got a return authorization.
They reindexed the barrel and "resealed" the gas system.
Works fine now.
I found the old receipt, purchased in 2002.  Repairs done, no charge!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top