Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:24:20 PM EDT

Well?  I'm looking at 308 semi autos and those two are the front runners (or variants of each).

What are your experiences?

Which do you like more and why?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
M1A is SOOOOO much fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What about an HK
NoHair
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
In true AR15.com fashion, if you can't decide, buy both.

If you're shooting the rifle with iron sights only, buy the M1A.  Match rear sights give finer adjustments than the GI issued ones (1/2 MOA elevation & windage, instead of 1 MOA elevation/1 MOA windage).  Additionally, the M1A is typically better balanced than an AR-10T (the latter is muzzle heavy unless the buttstock trap is filled with lead).  1/4-1/4 MOA iron sights can be mounted on an AR-10T, but the rifle itself needs to be tweaked to get weight and balance right - again, most factory AR-10Ts aren't properly balanced.

If you plan on scoping the rifle, buy the AR-10.  On an AR-10T (or any similar rifle), securely mounting a scope is far easier - you don't need a seperate mount to which rings are attached.  Nor should you need a cheekpiece with a scoped AR-10T.

Experience says M1As are more maintenance intensive than an AR-10.  An M1A gas system needs to be disassembled and cleaned about every 500 rounds to remove carbon inside the gas piston.  Fail to do so, and eventually, you run into stoppages.

Experience also says M1As/M14s break/lose parts more frequently, usually at inopportune times.  Firing pins and extractors are common failure items, with safeties and triggers being the next most common.  With match conditioned flash suppressors (taper reamed from the front), check the suppressor slots for gas cutting/cracks every few thousand rounds after about 5000 rounds.

First time I shot a rack grade M14 (US Navy), I tried handing the damned thing back after the first shot.  Unloaded, a rack grade rifle weighs less than 8 lbs., and with M80 ball ammo (147 grain FMJBT @ 2750-2800 FPS), kicks hard.  A match conditioned M14 weighs closer to 12-13 lbs, and is more pleasant to shoot, even if the bullets are heavier (168-175 grain Sierras @ 2600-2650 FPS).  In contrast, the more in-line design of an AR-10 changes the recoil sensation - less felt recoil and muzzle climb.

You might note the Army's new M110 sniper rifle is an SR-25 derivative, and not M14/M1A based.  User training, durability, and up to 60% parts commonality with the M16/M4 makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I am Semper Fi to the M1A
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
M1A all the way.  After that I would go HK/HK Clone.  I got a PTR 91 and its a sweet shooter for sure, but if it werent for the expense I would have rather gotten an M1A.  IMHO the M1A is one of the sweetest looking rifles ever made.  Love the safety, the 308, the look, the ergonomics, love everything about it but the price and cost of ownership.  The biggest part of the decision was the fact that I could get mags for the 91 for under $2 each where as the M1A mags are over 10 times that  a piece.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, I'll bite.

M1A or FAL. M1A for sheer sexiness and "fun'ness". FAL for ergonomics, reliability, cheap mags, and also (in my opinion) because they look friggin' cool.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well?  I'm looking at 308 semi autos and those two are the front runners (or variants of each).

What are your experiences?

Which do you like more and why?

I have both.  I say get the AR10. The M1A is clunky.  The AR10 is ergonomic.  If you like AR15s, then get the AR10.  The AR10 is easier to get to shoot accurately and maintains accuracy.  I shoot my AR10 far more than the M1A.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am Semper Fi to the M1A

Heh....we've seen you shoot an M-14....
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem:  Wanted a .308 battle rifle, but didn't know which to get.

The M1A was immediately removed from my list because my dad has one and I can shoot it anytime I like.

The Hk was off the list pretty quick too based on shooting a 91 a while back that kicked like a mule.  I understand that recoil is a fact of life, but damn, that was too much.

I was left with the FAL, and AR10 designs.  After reading up on it some, I found that while I liked the AR10 design features, the lack of a common design (Bushmaster/RRA, DPMS, ARMALITE, etc) made me question the availability of spare parts and aftermarket support.  The FAL was the ussue rifle for dozens of countries, and there are tons of them, along with really cheap magazine.

I am also a cheap bastard.  I found a good deal on a FAL and haven't looked back.  TOo bad I costs so much to shoot right now.

Eventually, when I have money, the plan is to buy an AR-10, but that's probably a ways off.  I hope I can get one before they're banned...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What about an HK
NoHair

Shameless plug.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I formerly owned a Chicom M14 clone that was a joy to shoot ( till it stared coming apart)  and now own an LR308.  Both were totally reliable with good ammunition.  

My LR308 is the most accurate autoloader I ever fired however it's nowhere near stock.   The original AP4 configuration would give an M1A National Match a hard run for it's money too.   A buddy of mine bought one of those recently and let me tell ya the M1A NM is a damned nice rifle and shoots beautifully.  I shot it with irons and kept about 1 MOA at 100yds with the irons.   Not an easy task with my older mk1 eyeballs.

I dont think you could go wrong with either the m1a LR308 or FAL.   The FAL will not be anywhere near as accurate though.  

I originally wanted an M1A NM but the fact that I could practice with my AR15 and AR15 with .22lr conversion weighed heavily towards the AR platform in .308 cal.   I then thought about the Armalite AR10T but the cost and availability of magazines had me looking at the DPMS instead.   Now with the time I've spent with my LR308 I couldnt be happier with the purchase.  I'd buy another LR308 AP4 in a heartbeat.  Build up a second upper with a custom turned barrel and you'll have a gun suitable for CQB up to 1000 yds.    I'm just  a stripped lower and a carrier gas key away from completing my 2nd LR308.

In fact we took 2 bucks this year with my LR
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about an HK
NoHair

Shameless plug.

HK417, baby!

Or a real M14?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe tha Armalite takes modified M14 mags...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The M14 is my all time fav, so I'm biased to say the least.

Quoted:
Words of wisdom

What he said.

What are your intentions with my beloved rifle?

I've got a couple of em, your welcome to shoot em, (if you come out and shoot Speed Steel) just need to set up a time at the range.

...and they're totally controllable.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The M1A is clunky sexy.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had the same problem:  Wanted a .308 battle rifle, but didn't know which to get.

The M1A was immediately removed from my list because my dad has one and I can shoot it anytime I like.

The Hk was off the list pretty quick too based on shooting a 91 a while back that kicked like a mule.  I understand that recoil is a fact of life, but damn, that was too much.

I was left with the FAL, and AR10 designs.  After reading up on it some, I found that while I liked the AR10 design features, the lack of a common design (Bushmaster/RRA, DPMS, ARMALITE, etc) made me question the availability of spare parts and aftermarket support.  The FAL was the ussue rifle for dozens of countries, and there are tons of them, along with really cheap magazine.

I am also a cheap bastard.  I found a good deal on a FAL and haven't looked back.  TOo bad I costs so much to shoot right now.

Eventually, when I have money, the plan is to buy an AR-10, but that's probably a ways off.  I hope I can get one before they're banned...

Do you shoot .308WIN cartridges in it or do you limit it to 7.62 NATO rounds?  I am asking because of a post that said it might not be good to shoot off the shelf .308 through an FAL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you shoot .308WIN cartridges in it or do you limit it to 7.62 NATO rounds?  I am asking because of a post that said it might not be good to shoot off the shelf .308 through an FAL.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I own an M1A and an HK91. I prefer the 91. My M1A is more accurate, but the 91s pistol grip and fact that parts hardly ever break won me over. If I was to buy another .308 I would get a RRA. The Armalites lack of a forward assist bothers me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top