Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 1:44:21 PM EDT
I ran across this article is the AJC*

The Atlanta Police Department is spending about $545,000 in drug forfeiture funds to arm its officers with more firepower — 40-caliber Smith & Wesson pistols. The guns are replacing the 9 mm Smith & Wessons the force has used for 15 years.

You can read the whole article  here

You may have to register for the article , I would suggest using Bug Me Not

Must be a new reporter as I didn't see any anti gun rants or vote for Kerry message in the article.

*Why the h*ll was I reading the left leaning AJC?
To better know the enemy hug.gif

The Bald Monk
http://thebaldmonk.net/2.jpg
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well,
Since Hosea's not around any more,I wonder which "civil rights leader" will be out front of city hall with a bull horn hollering about hollow point bullets!

Guess you had to have seen it way back when
for it to be amusing.
Robert.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Why o' why did they choose S & W?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Police Chief Richard Pennington said he was swapping guns because "I am concerned for the safety of my officers. This is a better technology for the threat my officers face on the streets today."

This is the same guy that said that the AWB works and then in the next breath said that he sees AKs being used by street thugs every day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why o' why did they choose S & W?

Probably because S & W gave them a trade in allowance that Glock wouldn't.
The article I read gave a price of $315.00 per gun,so I am guessing there was  a trade in deal?

Also,they had Smiths that were simular,and so the new guns would require less retraining since they are very similar in controls etc...

Robert.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the biggest reason some of these Departments go with the Smiths is because of the mag release safety and some other features. My Dept. issues S&W's and they are pieces of shit, that is why we are currently looking at Glocks.
As for the price, that is a non factor. Glock offers Departments 1 for 1 trade ins and training for there pistols. Basically, the only thing a Department needs to buy is leather gear and training time. This is not a rumor either, when I went to the Law Enforcement Expo recently at G.P.S.T.C. I spoke to the Glock L/E Representative and got this as first hand info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think the biggest reason some of these Departments go with the Smiths is because of the mag release safety and some other features. My Dept. issues S&W's and they are pieces of shit, that is why we are currently looking at Glocks.
As for the price, that is a non factor. Glock offers Departments 1 for 1 trade ins and training for there pistols. Basically, the only thing a Department needs to buy is leather gear and training time. This is not a rumor either, when I went to the Law Enforcement Expo recently at G.P.S.T.C. I spoke to the Glock L/E Representative and got this as first hand info.

That is the absolute truth, I tried carrying a 4506 approx 10 years ago.  Had to keep it excesively lubed to cycle.  It rattled like a Chinese tinker toy and felt like crap, so I sold that anker and bought a Beretta.  Glocks are the way to go now, tho.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a buddy who was an APD officer in the early to mid 90's. He was convinced something shady was going on between APD and the distributor. Not too surprising considering it was the Atlanta city government.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the absolute truth, I tried carrying a 4506 approx 10 years ago.  Had to keep it excesively lubed to cycle.  It rattled like a Chinese tinker toy and felt like crap, so I sold that anker and bought a Beretta.  1911'a are the way to go now, tho.

Fixed it for you, I did not want to see you lose your soul.  

ARH

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Thirded.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top