Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 2:07:39 PM EDT
   Has anyone made, acquired, or tried to make or acquire, an "Any Other Weapon" in New Jersey?

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the books that states one is illegal to own.

In fact, many sites say that Machineguns and AOWs are OK in NJ. For MG possession, one must apply in the Superior Court. Fat chance on the state approval. BUT, no restrictions for AOWs.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read into this myself and I am not sure either.  I agree there is no possibility of Class III ownership in NJ because of the discretionary system in place.  I suspect there is something on the books concerning AOWs, just haven't found it yet.

Wish I could be of more help.  I will poke around some again and see if I can turn something up...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
From Evan Nappan's Book, the only Class three weapon that is allowed w/ out going to the communist court is an auto burglar.  The tax stamp and a handgun permit is all that is required.  The next obstacle is getting the local chief to sign off on the ATF form(Fat chance) Most police chief's in NJ are anti-gun.  There is a short barreled law on the NJ books, That and the NJ AWB may stop the purchase of an AOW.  Hell, I would love to have shortbarreled Bushy w/ a stubby stock.  Reach out the the lawyer I mentioned. He has a web site.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Nappen used an Auto Burglar as an example.  I don't see why one would need a NJ "Permit to Purchase" for an Auto Burglar.  Or for that matter, a Mossberg AOW.  Title II says that it is an "AOW", not designed to be fired by the use of a single hand.  Both NJ and the Federal Law practically mimic each other.  Never-the-less, the only thing preventing the acquisition of AOWs is the CLEO signature.  Just incorporate and bypass it.

POI: I am not a lawyer, nor profess to be one. Just provoking thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top