Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 8:56:47 PM EDT by JYogi]
OK
I am a little confused here.
I had thought we were not allowed to own DD's or AOW's here in MI.

In another thread here someone was saying that we are allowed to have AOW's here

Like this This is SEXY!

The SUPER-SHORTY is based on a Mossberg Maverick 12-gauge shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip. Because of this, the SUPER-SHORTY is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and can be transferred with a $5 stamp! The gun holds two 2-3/4" or 3" shells in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. The 16.5" overall length, 6.5" barrel and spring-locked foregrip, which pivots out of the way when not in use, make for a very compact package. As far as we know, this is the shortest 12-gauge pump shotgun available.

Of course it would not be able to have the VFG here in MI (or as an AOW would it?)

Second ?

Would this be legit for CCW and/or keeping in your truck?

IF we are allowed AOW's here in MI I know there is the tax stamp and all of that involved.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:00:38 PM EDT
Here in michigan the license is no longer called a CCW (carrying concealed weapon) it is no called a CPL (carrying pistol licence) That weapon you showed there is a shotgun, yes its an AOW, just like a pengun, but a pengun is not a pistol either and cannot be carried either. With the new law pending i cant really comment if we will be able to buy AOW's or DD's. We shall wait and see.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:12:47 PM EDT
OK seems AOW's are legal in MI (and have been for a while)

State Law listing for Class III and NFA Firearms

As for it being a shotgun, I dont really know...
It came from the factory with a pistol grip (which makes it an AOW) and the OAL is much shorter than what is normally called a shotgun.

Should be interesting to see.
That sure would be nice to have in the back of the truck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:58:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JYogi:
OK seems AOW's are legal in MI (and have been for a while)

State Law listing for Class III and NFA Firearms

As for it being a shotgun, I dont really know...
It came from the factory with a pistol grip (which makes it an AOW) and the OAL is much shorter than what is normally called a shotgun.

Should be interesting to see.
That sure would be nice to have in the back of the truck.

First, that chart is inaccurate.

Second, you can't carry an AOW under CPL laws in MI. Just because a firearm requires a permit to purchase and a safety inspection doesn't make it a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:31:58 AM EDT
Ahh oh well...
Was a good thought.
No real point in buying it if you can't carry it (in my mind that is) with something like this....

Just would be cool to have and shoot a couple times and then it would just end up sitting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:41:48 PM EDT
Bumpox, I agree on the AOW thing.... I doubt it could be carried w/CPL. I still think my 20 inch barreled, 8 shot Ithaca 12 gage can though (just under 30 inches, and registered... yes, as a pistol). The green "safety inspection" certificate specifically states "Make of pistol" as well as on the rear, stating that state law prohibits the loaning, transfer... etc.... "of this pistol"....

I really don't wish to be a tet case in the courts, but I've not yet seen a statute ordinance or law (or administrative opinion) that would prohibit it.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:51:56 PM EDT
If you have an AK pistol and file a form 1 to add the forward pistol grip after approval, its still a pistol under Michigan law and and AOW under federal law. As a practical matter, if you carrying anything that big as a pistol it is inviting trouble even if technically legal. Before you carry it, put away 5K for legal fees.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:12:55 PM EDT
Jyogi, saw ya on the cover of the Eagle this mourning, pretty cool. That should be good for business. Good job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:41:36 PM EDT
Thanks MCM!
We did some BIG changes in the place so I am glad they printed that article even though they messed up a couple things...
We were also the second page article in the West Bloomfield Beacon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:08:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TBoneDetroit:
Bumpox, I agree on the AOW thing.... I doubt it could be carried w/CPL. I still think my 20 inch barreled, 8 shot Ithaca 12 gage can though (just under 30 inches, and registered... yes, as a pistol). The green "safety inspection" certificate specifically states "Make of pistol" as well as on the rear, stating that state law prohibits the loaning, transfer... etc.... "of this pistol"....

I really don't wish to be a tet case in the courts, but I've not yet seen a statute ordinance or law (or administrative opinion) that would prohibit it.

T Bone (Detroit).

Hey T Bone,

I was told by Redford PD that the "pistol registered" longarms >26" - < 30" are not actually "pistols" are are not legal for concealed carry.

I have two of them (a rifle and shotgun) and CCW, but they are mutually exclusive.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:51 PM EDT
Michigan can't have it both ways. Its either a pistol under state law for CCP and registration....opps, safety inspection purposes or or its not for both. Who did you talk to at Redford?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:29:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MichMan1:
Michigan can't have it both ways. Its either a pistol under state law for CCP and registration....opps, safety inspection purposes or or its not for both. Who did you talk to at Redford?

I spoke to the Officer in charge of the pistol permits at Redford. I will talk to him again on Tuesday when I take my new pistol in for the "inspection". I bought it without a permit (legally) with my CCW. I will follow up with him for clarification of what he told me.

For reference, here is something from the State Police's website:

Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222 Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess. MCL 750.224d There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.

The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) and Section 9 (Safety Inspection Certificate/registration) of Act 372.

Now, my understanding...and please correct me with reference if possible, is that although they (the State) are using the 30" point for registration and using the "pistol" forms and classifying the rifle or shotgun as a "pistol" for the registration, they are not changing the weapon into an actual pistol.

It's screwy I agree. But, I don't think I'd want to be the test case to see what would happen if stopped for some reason and had to present my CCW and my carry weapon was a 26.5" OAL Mossberg 500 with dual pistol grips on a single point sling under a trench coat. Yep, that shotgun would have it's own greensheet and be registered as a "pistol"....but I'd bet there'd be a world of $#!+.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:23:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By No_Expert:

Originally Posted By TBoneDetroit:

T Bone (Detroit).

Hey T Bone,

I was told by Redford PD that the "pistol registered" longarms >26" - < 30" are not actually "pistols" are are not legal for concealed carry.

I have two of them (a rifle and shotgun) and CCW, but they are mutually exclusive.

No Expert

You mean the same Redford Police Department that wouldn't register my Mossberg Bullpup as a pistol because the serial number didn't match up to anything in their database for Mossberg SN's? The retard made me go home, take the gun apart, show him the reciever (I told him it would be a Marveric Arms and not a Mossberg) before he would register the damn thing.

I've got two buddies who are patrol officers in that dept, and even they say Redford blows....
Top Top