Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 5:58:53 PM EST
So I'm planning on a family vacation in a couple of weeks. We haven't spent much time in AL and none in MS so we're thinking about a long road trip. Wife and the kids liike the beach and other "fun" stuff, I like Civil War sites and museums. I'm thinking about driving to a beach (like Orange Beach or Gulf Shores), checking out Mobile, driving up to Jackson and maybe over to Vicksburg to let the kids see the Mississippi and then on to Huntsville before heading back to central Georgia.

What would you recommend for Alabama beaches and must-see places from Mobile to Vicksburg? Any places to stay clear of? Anything interesting between Jackson and Huntsville?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:20:30 PM EST
Orange Beach and Gulf Shores is cool. Stop by the Pink Pony and get a beer and some crab claws. also hit Rocky Rawshucks for some backed or topless oysters.
Hit Mississippi and see Tupelo and the Natchez Trace, see the space and rocket center in Huntsville.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:26:56 PM EST
Better stop, and see us in Biloxi.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:02:15 AM EST
don't speed in jackson, ms.

if you're going down to biloxi, there is this huge gun on that is mounted on beach blvd... every time i pass it i keep thinking that i want to stop and take a picture of it. it's pretty cool looking. i'm sure some of the south ms folk could tell you exactly where it is if you wanted to see it.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:06:47 AM EST
Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are pretty much the same thing. You can't go wrong with either one. For dining I'd suggest Lulu's on the Intercoastal Waterway, a block or two off Alabama Highway 59. I'd also suggest taking the time to head about 30 minutes north of town on 59 and eat at Lambert's Cafe (the only home of throwed rolls). There are only three Lambert's, two in Missouri and one in Foley, Alabama. The portions are huge, they have "pass arounds" (almost like appetizers, but they bring them to your table and dish them out on your plate or a paper towel), and they throw rolls across the room.

To get to Mobile you can either go up to Spanish Fort, then west, or west to Dauphin Island, then north. I'd suggest going to Dauphin Island via the ferry, then drive up to Mobile. If you do go up to Spanish Fort, then over, take US 98 West off AL 59 in downtown Foley, and be sure to keep going when it turns into US 98 Scenic/Alt through Point Clear and Fairhope.

I don't know much about Mobile, but stay the crap out of Prichard. In Theodore, just south of Mobile is Bellingrath Gardens, if that's your cup of tea. Just outside Mobile on the east side you can visit the USS Alabama and take a tour of the ship.

In Jackson be sure to travel some of the Natchez Trace. If you do be sure to follow the speed limits and lock up your CCW (it's considered a national park).

I've got a Google Earth KML of Gulf Shores and areas surrounding. If you'd like it send me a PM with an email I can send it to.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:05:07 PM EST
Thanks for the tips. Of course I might have to make a side trip to the CMP store in Anniston
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:50:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By RedHotChiliPepper:
Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are pretty much the same thing. You can't go wrong with either one. For dining I'd suggest Lulu's on the Intercoastal Waterway, a block or two off Alabama Highway 59. I'd also suggest taking the time to head about 30 minutes north of town on 59 and eat at Lambert's Cafe (the only home of throwed rolls). There are only three Lambert's, two in Missouri and one in Foley, Alabama. The portions are huge, they have "pass arounds" (almost like appetizers, but they bring them to your table and dish them out on your plate or a paper towel), and they throw rolls across the room.

To get to Mobile you can either go up to Spanish Fort, then west, or west to Dauphin Island, then north. I'd suggest going to Dauphin Island via the ferry, then drive up to Mobile. If you do go up to Spanish Fort, then over, take US 98 West off AL 59 in downtown Foley, and be sure to keep going when it turns into US 98 Scenic/Alt through Point Clear and Fairhope.

I don't know much about Mobile, but stay the crap out of Prichard. In Theodore, just south of Mobile is Bellingrath Gardens, if that's your cup of tea. Just outside Mobile on the east side you can visit the USS Alabama and take a tour of the ship.

In Jackson be sure to travel some of the Natchez Trace. If you do be sure to follow the speed limits and lock up your CCW (it's considered a national park).

I've got a Google Earth KML of Gulf Shores and areas surrounding. If you'd like it send me a PM with an email I can send it to.

DO NOT FORGET THIS.

DO NOT FORGET THIS.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:34:00 AM EST
Since you'll be coming from GA swing thru Pensacola and check out the Naval Museum on NAS Pensacola. It's only about 20 minutes from Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area on Hwy 98. You can come out the back gate and be in Alabama in no time.The museum has free admission (donations) and the place is outstanding if you've never been. It has so much history in it you'll just about find something new anytime you go there. And the kids won't be bored walking around in a museum. They have cockpits setup thru out the museum for them to get in and play on. Here is the website. http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
The only issue you may have is no fireams carried on the Navy base. I've never seen a vehicle get checked but the sign is posted at the gate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:56:55 PM EST
In Vicksburg certainly go to the battlefield, those guys truly fought belt buckle to belt buckle. Be sure and travel downtown to the old court house as it was standing during the siege. From the courthouse go two blocks south and one block west to the Heritage House restaurant, either go early or late to lunch, excellent southern cooking! If I remember correctly it is on Adams street.

The trace is pleasant, too many travel campers and the speed limit is STRICTLY ENFORCED until you get to the the Tupelo area where there is a lot of traffic and you can make time while they have someone else stopped!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:11:24 PM EST
research the ship island out of biloxi, I haven't been in 10+ years but if I remember there was a fort a fishing pier and awesome beaches for MS. Something for all
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:37:07 AM EST
If at all possible, check out the Army Aviation Museum at Ft Rucker near Enterprise.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:19:09 AM EST
Museum of Natural History and Gun Museum in Anniston
Top Top