Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 1:00:25 PM EDT
I don't know if anyone might care or not, but this is a great comprehensive listing of our local wifi spots for those of you around here like me whose butts stay in a constant incendiary state, unfortunately.

www.ipsaonline.org/wifi/
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Being the resident Old F#$* & living on the  end of a dusty dirt road in the darkest reaches of N. Alabama doesn't give me much of an opportunity to get out and see what modern things the "Real World"  has developed.  Heck, my email even takes 2 weeks to get to me with my internet coming from a string & 2 tin cans!    

So without too much snickering & laughter, would you mind telling me what the h$## WIFI is?  Heck, I just heard the word "Blog" for the first time last week and I'm still wondering about that one.  Too chicken to ask this group about it though.  

Rick
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm new to the game too, don't fret.  It is simply the tech term for wireless internet access.  I have tapped into it because I have a laptop that I will be taking around with me and needing to access the internet with for school/work purposes (oh, and arfcom, of course).

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember to have the proper firewalls, etc. on your laptop since anybody logged on at the same time can get into your computer otherwise if they know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's wireless, how do you tap into it?

Rick
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If' it's not password locked. and you have a computer that has wireless ability, turn computer on and it will pick up. Use it all the time in motels I stay in
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Rick

Most laptops now come with wireless network cards.  It uses radio to transmit and receive data to and from the internet.

Or, it's magic.  Which ever explanation works for you.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rick

Or, it's magic.  Which ever explanation works for you.  

When I retired from Bellsouth, my job was installing & maintaining ADSL.  Often times customers would ask how it worked, and often I would answer with "It's just Magic".  Most of the time that worked, but some would insist on a better explanation.  

FWIW, I don't miss working with ADSL at all,  I hated that job (the ADSL thing)  & I sure was glad when I got away from it.  My BP went down several points when I got away from all the stress.

Rick

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
My new laptop has it.  The only time I've used it outside of my office building (where it works just fine) was in a hotel out in Dallas a few months ago - it was very "spotty."  I don't know if it was the hotel's signal or the fact that I was thirty-something floors up?...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top