Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2008 6:18:13 AM EDT
Are the rules for AK's the same as they are for AR's here in CA?  16" barrel, fixed mag...etc.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert on it, but the AWB here is pretty straight forward.  It's either by name or features, but not name AND features.  Check the posted topics at the top of the forum for a breakdown of the laws.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Same thing. Either a pistol grip and other evil features and fixed 10 round mag or detachable mag with no grip/evil features.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm no expert on it, but the AWB here is pretty straight forward.  It's either by name or features, but not name AND features.  Check the posted topics at the top of the forum for a breakdown of the laws.

If it is banned by name, it's banned.

If it contains a detachable magazine and one or more evil features, it's banned.

The rules for OLL AKs is the same as OLL ARs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

If it is banned by name, it's banned.

If it contains a detachable magazine and one or more evil features, it's banned.

The rules for OLL AKs is the same as OLL ARs.

What about AK pistols?  I understand the rule about them having to be single-shot, mag locked & blocked...but what about when building from an 80% flat reciever?  I understand for AR pistols they have to be built out of state and transferred through FFL, but that's with a 100% pistol reciever.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What about AK pistols?  I understand the rule about them having to be single-shot, mag locked & blocked...but what about when building from an 80% flat reciever?  I understand for AR pistols they have to be built out of state and transferred through FFL, but that's with a 100% pistol reciever.  

The build methods for AR and AK pistols are the same.

1. Build from a so-called "80%" receiver (some receiver that is unfinished ot the point where it is not deemed a firearm). Built it to the single-shot exempt dimensions (6.5" bbl, 10.5"OAL, min, IIRC), and install a sled magazine, fixed in place. Register with DOJ.

or

2. Build or purchase a pistol and have it converted into a single-shot pistol that meets the dimensional specifications. Have it sent ot your FFL, and DROS it.

In both cases, once either of the processes described above is done, you may convert it to a sem-automatic pistol, but you MUST have a fixed magazine which holds no more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

The build methods for AR and AK pistols are the same.

1. Build from a so-called "80%" receiver (some receiver that is unfinished ot the point where it is not deemed a firearm). Built it to the single-shot exempt dimensions (6.5" bbl, 10.5"OAL, min, IIRC), and install a sled magazine, fixed in place. Register with DOJ.

or

2. Build or purchase a pistol and have it converted into a single-shot pistol that meets the dimensional specifications. Have it sent ot your FFL, and DROS it.

In both cases, once either of the processes described above is done, you may convert it to a sem-automatic pistol, but you MUST have a fixed magazine which holds no more than 10 rounds.

When I register with DOJ...What paperwork do I need?  What about drop testing?  by the way, leelaw...thanks...you're helping out a bunch
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When I register with DOJ...What paperwork do I need?  What about drop testing?  by the way, leelaw...thanks...you're helping out a bunch

Building it as a single-shot pistol which meets the dimensional requirements is a specific exemption from the drop-list shenanigans.

If you build it from a non-firearm receiver (machine it to completion by yourself, then assemble to legal requirements) you register it with this form: ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf I'd recommend putting your name, city, and a serial number on it, but it's not required.

If you purchase a single-shot AR or AK (FAL? other?) pistol that meets the single-shot exemption requirements, then you just DROS it, and that's it.

Once you DROS, or register it, then you can convert it to a semi-automatic function, but if it's a pistol with the magazine well outside the pistol grip, make sure you have a FIXED ten round (or less) capacity magazine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
10-4, leelaw...thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top