Time: 8am - 6pm
Where: Northwest Houston Tactical
15340 Kuykendahl - Suite D3
Houston, TX 77090

1/4 mile south of FM 1960 W on Kuykendahl
at the Private Mini Storage Complex
(Have an office in the complex)

--------------------------

COZ_45 of Arfcom and Houston gunshow fame has graciously volunteered to provide his shop for use, has a large hefty work table with 2 vises. He pulled off a very successful AR build party awhile back for 25-30 people so I'm sure we'll fit right in.
Electricity and a roof over our heads, what more could we want? Well, we need to make sure that we have what we need. Sorry, no cookouts/BBQ pits etc.

*a few notes from COZ:
Parking - somewhat limited to two or three cars inside the gates. Heavy tool carriers can come in and unload, but we cannot have vehicles on both sides of the road through the complex as large RV's, several lawn service trailers and a Redwing boot truck have to have room to get in and out. We can only park a few in front of the glass enclosed storage to avoid blocking other tenants, but it's a short (100 ft) walk to the street.

AR builders - I will, of course have all my AR tools available for anyone wanting to do AR builds, repairs, add accessories or whatever.

I even have a compressor and airbrush for those wanting to do some duracoating, though that is not a one day deal as drying time prior to handling should be overnight.

So far, several builders have said they'll bring tools such as presses, drills, riveters, flat jigs, punches, grinders, etc etc etc...If you have sumthin' that will help, by all means let everyone here know.

As this thread progresses, we'll keep track of who's bringing what tools.
Meanwhile, keep in mind other stuff that will come in handy:

Lawnchair,
Cooler w/munchies, water, etc,
Fan (I can bring 2),

Besides AK's bein' cool an' all, chicks dig 'em too!

So come on, make plans to be there!

attending/interest/tools/etc:

COZ_45 - providing location
SVO - Polish - drill press, dremel, Mapp torch, misc
Trueno - Hungarian - fans, 4" grinder, dremel, drill & bits, calipers
Tx Dogblaster - door prizes!!!!!! (kits/flats/money/kissing booth)
DonKey153 - Romanian G

rugerdog - build - Romanian
LostInTexas - fan, rivet jigs, hammers, files, anvil, drill press, punches, dremel, etc
gtty - Romanian G
photokirk - 1/2 an AK :wink: - drill press, dremel, caliper, vise, punches, hammer... and a fan.
Old Sarge - build - Romy G & Polish U/F

Jim Boyd - build - 12t press, drill press, AK-Builder flat jig, boltcutter riveter, dremel, drill bits, park tank and chemicals
xj0hnx - build - Krink
Mellowme - build - airbrush/moly resin
GY - modify - Bulgarian
Daniel76 - build - Romanian G

thomasplaster223 - build
docjimbob - Romanian G - punches, fan, dremel, misc
_Arioch_ - build
presto99 - build - PSL + Polish U/F
Rino451 - build - drill press, vise, dremel, Benzomatic, prototype receiver jig + some AR tools: Olympic armourer's wrench (barrel wrench), upper receiver vise block, punches and 5.56 Go and No-Go gauges

soulstar2100 - Romanian G
MauserMark - build
DoubtingThomas - Saiga conversion
hank57 - build - bending jig
turmanator - build - Romanian MD63 U/F

gushrncir - observe, help etc
1Andy2 - build - Romanian G
craigntx - observe, help etc
Joe-S-2000 - build - Romanian G
dforge715 - build - Romanian G + various tools

hkmp5s - flat bending
eklikwhoa - elbow grease and advice!
Texas_XD - build - Romanian G
NightWatchman - scope rail repair

nalioth ?
bibleman ?
drj3828 ?
Bon Jovi ?
MMcfpd ?
murderman ?
hdbint ?
TxAggieA-Batt ?
Elvis ? (anyone seen him lately?)

(if you need to be on/off this list, just say the word)

08-06-07

Just a few days left, let's get down to the nitty gritty!

1) Turmanator is bringing his 12ton hydraulic press.
He is also bringing a drill press but we can probably use an extra in case the first is tied up.
The rest of us can bring whatever tools we feel might/will be needed such as jigs, Dremels, hammers, pliers, punches etc etc etc you name it.

2) NO BOOZE or OPEN CARRY allowed on the property (CCW is okay).
COZ does not need the hassle and you sure don't neither so respect his house. C'mon, he's steppin' out on a limb in the first place by invitin' a bunch of AK riffraff to use his facilities so do not...DO NOT...be the maroon that everyone remembers years from now.
Some of our builders are LEO's enjoyin' a day off doin' sumthin' fun and educational, DO NOT mess up their funtime with your antics.

3) YOUR tools and spare parts.
If you feel the need, mark your tools or box your trinkets, otherwise just keep track of 'em.

4) This is Texas and it is August, count on it bein' hot and not a cloud in the sky!

07-12-07

Pic of COZ's shop, nice clean work area and a hefty table.

Look at that. Only been lightly harassed by some AR's, just think what it'll look like after it's been used and abused by a bunch of AK's

end of update

07-07-07  

Spoke with several Houston vendors today at the GRB show. Hinted to TR Graham of Global Trades that we sure would appreciate it if they'd donate a 30rd magazine or sling or ? as a door prize.

Ron at RPG said he'd like to donate something, we'll keep that bug in his ear and see what he comes up with as we get closer to the party.
Ron has visited the factory in Bulgaria on numerous occasions, hopefully he can attend and relate some stories to us.

Wayne and Andre at South Texas Armory said they'd like to actually attend and asked to be kept abreast of developements. Andre was formerly a gunsmith at the Arsenal factory in Bulgaria, I emailed them a link to this thread.

end 07-07-07

C'mon now, ya just never know who might show up!!!!!

cross-posted at AKforum.net and elsewhere: AKforum thread

t
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 4:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
ost
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
need grinders, 12t press, punches, drill press, various riveting tools and some jigs
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What do y'all need? I can possibly do it at my shop, but I don't have anything but vises and a big ass workbench.

If y'all can pull of an AR build then we can darn sure slap a few nasty ol' AK's together there!

As far as what's needed, electricity and a roof is more than enough. Tools are no problem at all, PLENTY of that between us. Saw the pics of your killer workbench, we can also bring box fans, coolers of sodas & water, lawn chairs, etc.

Thanks for your time on the phone, Saturday July 21st is lookin' good, I'll run it by everyone in the other thread.

thanks a million!

t
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll try to find a kit now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have every thing except the jigs and riveters. I am in Navasota, well six miles out in the country. I have a Romainian G kit but need a reciever to go with it.
DRJ
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'll try to find a kit now.

Not sure what flavor you have in mind but there's a couple of dozen or so Romy G kits on GB at the moment, some available for as low as $110.

t
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have every thing except the jigs and riveters. I am in Navasota, well six miles out in the country. I have a Romainian G kit but need a reciever to go with it.
DRJ

Gonna be several dealers at the GRB show this weekend. RPG and TR from Global Trades should have avout a dozen between them. Gunny might have a few if he's there.

Plenty of jigs and tools already volunteered, just bring some enthusiasm and energy.

t
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#11]
have you run the numbers on build vs buy?
i think you can still buy them for 350 or so.

to build one...  (jus t looking at the net...)
http://www.akparts.com/index.htm
80% receiver 30.00
rivets.  9.00
parts kit 100.00
compliance parts ???
--------------------------------
total more than 150.00

that is if you can make it work. and not have a lot of bent metal that does not work.
but good luck with the build.

Link Posted: 7/3/2007 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
have you run the numbers on build vs buy?
i think you can still buy them for 350 or so.

I'm guessing that most don't build for the cost savings, but for the joy of building.  I learned a lot building my FAL, and had a great time.  

I picked up an AK kit with the intention of doing a build, but don't have a press suitable for the barrel.  I'm in Austin, but maybe I'll be trying to make it to Houston for this...

Link Posted: 7/3/2007 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
bump with revised info and more.

t
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I may give an underfolder a shot this time, didn't get around to it on the last build party. got 2 kits, can pick up some recievers this weekend.
I'll definitely be there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I may give an underfolder a shot this time, didn't get around to it on the last build party. got 2 kits, can pick up some recievers this weekend.
I'll definitely be there.

What kind of U/F?

t
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
romy g kit, kvar furniture, i believe you saw it last time. put me down for some soda/water since i don't have any tools that aren't already being provided

the educational value alone is worth the trip for one of these build parties.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I will, of course have all my AR tools available for anyone wanting to do AR builds, repairs, add accessories or whatever.

So, Trueno, make the title a combo Commie and U.S. rifle build party....

Got it!

Man, can't thank you enuff for your hospitality, we'll see what we can do to drag some mous...er...AR gals and guys into the mix!

t
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Will there be receivers and rivets available at the build? I got my kit!- Art
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Will there be receivers and rivets available at the build? I got my kit!- Art

One of the local AK dudes does Stainless Steel rec'r flats on a regular basis and is in the process of cobbling up 4130 steel flats. He has stated in the other thread that he'll have them available at a big discount at the party.

You can also be guaranteed there'll be plenty of odds-n-ends such as rivets/furniture etc etc etc etc for sale/trade at the party, ALWAYS some goodies gettin' bartered at an AK party!

t

eta: I went ahead and added you to the list, what kind of kit did you get?
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in.  I have a drill press (cheapo Harbor Freight) that I will bring.  

I have half an AR in the safe, now I can have half an AK as well.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok so ak receivers will be for sale, what about ar lowers? If so I will probably take one of each. I can also bring a dremel tool and if someone tells me what handtools are needed, I may be able to provide some. Has anyone done a krink sidefolder install before?
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ok so ak receivers will be for sale, what about ar lowers? If so I will probably take one of each. I can also bring a dremel tool and if someone tells me what handtools are needed, I may be able to provide some. Has anyone done a krink sidefolder install before?

Don't know about actual 100% AK receivers for sale (unless someone brings personal property for sale) but several flats should be available from various individuals. Given the talent that'll be at the build, gettin' your sidefolder from an idea to reality should not be any problem whatsoever.

As far as AR lowers and lots of other AR goodness, COZ should have some on hand.

t

ps: added you to the list!
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm gathering parts for a .45 AR build.  If enough arrive in time I'll plan on this. One way or another, I'll keep watching the thread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I guess this is a good time to jump into the AK world.  Anyone want to help out the newb and advise on the best place to buy a kit?
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I guess this is a good time to jump into the AK world.  Anyone want to help out the newb and advise on the best place to buy a kit?

You can start out real easy with a Romanian "G" kit. They're economical in price, some available for a low as 100-110 on Gunbroker. Add a ready-to-go receiver such as one from DCI or Global Trades ($50-85) or a "flat" (15-25) and you're on your way. There's small things like American-made parts that are required by those silly fellas in D.C. but you can wind up with a running AK for as little as $200, just depends on what parts you go with.

There is an AK section here at Arfcom, just click the AK-47 button up top or...
AKforum.net is one of my favorites, nice crowd, extremely sharp and quick with help/advice/tech.

You get in the mood, let me know and I'll be more than happy to add ya to the list. If nuthin' else, you can pick up tons of hands-on smarts at a build.

t
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I got a romanian kit. I need a receiver and rivets.-Art
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Definitely add me to the list.  I'm working on finding a good kit now.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Should be plenty of receivers and gobs of rivets at the GRB, if nothing else you can easily grab one off of Gunbroker from NoDakSpud (DC Industries).

At the GRB show, TR Graham will have AK parts/GT receivers at his Glock booth and RPG always has GT rec'rs and plenty of rivets for sale, should be several other vendors with them also.

t
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should be plenty of receivers and gobs of rivets at the GRB, if nothing else you can easily grab one off of Gunbroker from NoDakSpud (DC Industries).

At the GRB show, TR Graham will have AK parts/GT receivers at his Glock booth and RPG always has GT rec'rs and plenty of rivets for sale, should be several other vendors with them also.

t

Trueno,
 Can you add me to the list...I have a G kit and a NoDak receiver I've been wanting to build...any suggestions on who to get rivets from this weekend?...I don't expect to do the whole thing at the build party, but I'd like to at least get the kit stripped so it can begin to be put back together...thanks,

Dan

ETA: I just saw the post above mine...I'll pickk upi the rivets this weekend, but can you add me to the list of participants. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Please add me to the list. I'm looking forward to this!
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Please add me to the list. I'm looking for to this!

Wanna build an AK or AR, just hang out, or man the kissing booth?

t
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Really I just want to see how its done. I do have one with a canted front sight that could stand to be straightened. I'll bring a cooler with sodas and my Dremel with cable extension and tips. I might have a kit to assemble by the time the party comes to pass.

Link Posted: 7/6/2007 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for spearheading this event!

Link Posted: 7/6/2007 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Really I just want to see how its done. I do have one with a canted front sight that could stand to be straightened. I'll bring a cooler with sodas and my Dremel with cable extension and tips. I might have a kit to assemble by the time the party comes to pass.

There'll probably be plenty of good people willin' to share what refreshments they have, but if you're picky and just hafta have Diet Fresca () then ya might be on your own.

As far as "spearheading", I'm rollin' in the aisles just thinkin' about how many times COZ has tried to entice me into an AR...and here we are invading his AR-shop with nasty evil cheap wicked bullet hoses!!!!

Remember the line from Con-Air?

"...define IRONY"

t
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#36]
This sounds like a fantastic opportunity.  I'm totally new to building guns, and only got into AK's in the last year.  Is there anything that I could or should bring?  I've got a nice under folder that doesn't really need anything, but this would be a great opportunity to actually build one.  I saw a lot of comments about rivits and what not that I hadn't considered.  Is there a recommended shopping list that might help a noob out?  Oh, and thanks for setting this up.

Arioch
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Why cant we do something like this in DFW......
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#38]
or in Austin for that matter.  Still, the opportunity to learn is worth a few hours driving.  Even if it is to Houston.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

t

I got 2 GT recievers today for 75ea. from TR graham. not bad
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Start a DFW thread. There's also plenty of interested parties in your area on the boards at AKforum.net. Look in the Build It Yourself, there's a thread titled "How about another Texas build party", most responses were from the DFW crowd.

good luck!

t
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I got 2 GT recievers today for 75ea. from TR graham. not bad

He had some pretty cool items, got a few of those woven green slings from him. Did you see 'em, any idea what they are? Also saw he had some blem receivers, 1mm for $50 and 1.6mm for $60.

Bought a Type 56 bayo at a VERY reasonable price. (yahoo!)

t
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
This sounds like a fantastic opportunity.  I'm totally new to building guns, and only got into AK's in the last year.  Is there anything that I could or should bring?  I've got a nice under folder that doesn't really need anything, but this would be a great opportunity to actually build one.  I saw a lot of comments about rivits and what not that I hadn't considered.  Is there a recommended shopping list that might help a noob out?  Oh, and thanks for setting this up.

Arioch

Rivets are the first thing that comes to mind, sets usually run $11-14. To do the 922r compliance dance, a gas piston and fire control group (FCG - hammer, trigger, disconnector) should get you pretty close to legal as far as the gun goes. You can find floorplates & followers for magazines online, $15-20, enough to do 4 mags.

I recommend getting a FCG at least, they can improve the overall feel/pull.

Can we put ya on the A list as a "very" possible?

t
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I can also bring a Dremel, caliper, vise, punches, hammer, and a fan.  I'll see what else I can find to bring.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to try to make it even if I can't get all the parts i need together in time.  Just to get my hands dirty and learn something new would be well worth it.  I think I can get a kitchen pass, so put me down at a probable maybe.  I'm going to try to get some of my like-minded coworkers involved too, so we might be able to make it a party.  

Arioch
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Dang guys, I've been itchin to get an AK all summer and you have to go and pick the day I'm leaving the state for the next 9 months. Oh well just my luck. Y'all make sure this one is a success so there will be sure to be plenty more.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#46]
me and my dad will be there to assemble PSL and Polish underfolder kits will there be tools to drill recievers and blanks?
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#47]
those with romanian G kits may wish to take them to a machine shop to get the barrel pins pressed out before the date arrives, i wish i had last time...
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Uhh, there was just one in March in Ft. Worth.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I would be there, but I have to work, maybe next time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I can also bring a Dremel, caliper, vise, punches, hammer, and a fan.  I'll see what else I can find to bring.  

See if you can find the other half of that AK

t
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top