Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2007 2:40:52 PM EST
We NEED to have another one of these. I would host it, but I have none of the equipment. I have 2 parts kits, one dis-assembled, and one not, several flats and several compliance parts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:51:41 PM EST
I can get a 20 ton press but do not have the stamp to bend the flats. I've got everything else.
I'll help anyone that wants to do a build. Just say when.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:06:00 PM EST
I wish you guys didn't live so far away, I have a Romy kit, and a M92 that I need to get finished with.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:11:40 PM EST
I got everything needed to build from a flat or a 100%,

but I can't make a weekend party do to the employment requirements.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:14:17 PM EST
wish i had the money saved to get the parts to build one that's on the list after the shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:23:58 AM EST
Is it just a matter of buying a parts kit like you find for $100 on centerfire's site and buying a receiver like you find for $60-$100 on globaltrades' site then start building? or is there more to is than that?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:33:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By kahrk-9:
Is it just a matter of buying a parts kit like you find for $100 on centerfire's site and buying a receiver like you find for $60-$100 on globaltrades' site then start building? or is there more to is than that?

I'd personaly go with a flat if I was building a romy, I've seen a lot of kits that have canted RSB, GB, FST,

only a couple of kits were nearly perfect, and for those I'd build on a nodakspud economy 100% reciever ($50) if I didn't want to put the time required in building on a flat,

then I'd shop around for the best deals on compliance parts, they're what kills most of your savings on doing a build, they'll run you from $50 to $75 depending on where you buy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:12:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By Ndenway:

Who would be up for a part on a Friday? I can take off, but I need to give a week or two notice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 11:49:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2007 3:11:49 PM EST by Ndenway]
yeah, in a couple of weeks would be fine, I don't expect my work schedule to change for a bit,

just give me a hollar when your ready.

EDIT: figure that it'll take about 8hrs to build one on a flat.

Link Posted: 1/6/2007 12:34:47 PM EST
I have some simple portable tool/jigs for knocking out barrel pins and barrels, as well as jigs and tools for riveting, etc (nothing but muscle power required for all of it)

I'd be willing to bring it to a build party, so people could get the hard parts finished real quick. (like riveting the trigger guard and front trunion)

It's a snap if you are using those flats with rivet holes.

I don't have any flat bending jigs though. (but I do have three flats that need bent)

we'll need a spot welder.

anybody seen that getto car battery spotwelder on www.gunco.net?
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 6:37:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By patrickcudd:

Who would be up for a part on a Friday? I can take off, but I need to give a week or two notice.

Patricia....dont be a puss...call in sick. If yer boss says "you dont sound sick" tell him "i'm f*ckin my damn sister, is that sick enough for ya?" Tellem that and they wont let you come to work "f*ckin yer damn sister, you keep yer sick ass at the house!"

On a seious note, me n my old man still need to get our built. Yeah I know I'm slow but I cant help it, my legs are short.

And Pat, my old man says thanks for the great remarks you left on his ebay store.

Link Posted: 1/12/2007 3:04:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By RatTerrier:

And Pat, my old man says thanks for the great remarks you left on his ebay store.

You need to tell him to advertise here. Most people (except 1shott) would buy the rack mounting kits he sells!
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 9:16:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By RatTerrier:

You need to tell him to advertise here. Most people (except 1shott) would buy the rack mounting kits he sells!

DOH! I never thought about that...in the equipement exchange area....DUH! I'll talk to him about it. Thanks for the idea Patsy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:31:44 AM EST

We NEED to have another one of these. I would host it, but I have none of the equipment. I have 2 parts kits, one dis-assembled, and one not, several flats and several compliance parts.

What date was decided to have one?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:48:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By danc46:

What date was decided to have one?

we haven't yet........

Who all would be in???

Me, Danc, Nden.....who else?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 6:02:25 PM EST
doesn't matter to me when it is, but I can't make a weekend, or mon/tues.

as long as its not cold (I got some kind of respatory shit, or cancer, doc can't figure out which) and the road conditions arn't bad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:25:36 PM EST
i have to save up the money, so i'd be out for the near future.
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 5:44:43 AM EST
I would be in . . . but I need time to order a kit(s) and flat(s). Where would this be?
Link Posted: 1/17/2007 7:53:27 AM EST
I'd be in. Are we talking about just a flat bending party? OR are we going to be riveting some trunions too?

BTW J&G Supply neaar 1900 SE 59th has rivets, or can order them in bulk if they happen to be out. Cheap too.

Link Posted: 1/17/2007 9:14:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2007 9:16:02 AM EST by Ndenway]

Originally Posted By santanatwo:
I'd be in. Are we talking about just a flat bending party? OR are we going to be riveting some trunions too?

depends on how many ya'll want to build, building on a flat will take approx 8hrs to to complete one rifle from prep to test fire,

building on a 100% receiver will take approx 4hrs from prep to test fire,

a flat will take approx 20 minutes to set up the jig and bend,

I don't spot the lower rails in until they and the reciever has been heat treated, the top rails have been cut to size and finished filed, and the front trunnion is installed,

I've got the tools to do a complete flat build, some are easily mobile, some of them arn't, and their mostly home built, but they can be used to build nice rifles

I don't have a punch to round the tang rivets heads, I use a hammer and flatten, so if ya'll want rounded rivet heads, you'll have to provide a concave punch,

if your wanting to do complete builds, you need one mag, some ammo to test fire, a complete rifle kit, rivet kit/center support and compliance parts + the 100% reciever or flat+rails you want to use

BTW J&G Supply neaar 1900 SE 59th has rivets, or can order them in bulk if they happen to be out. Cheap too.

the current tapco rivet set is good, it now has the correct diameter center support, and rear tang rivets, I think a center support/rivet set is currently running from $6 to $9/set,

if someone has the 5/32" rivets then I've got approx 30 of the 3/16" long rivets,

J&E bolt didn't have any length of the 5/32" rivets last time I was in there, counter dude said they could special order them though,

also if your gonna buy a kit, brigadoons had romy kits and tapco flats last time I was in there,

if your ordering a kit look at copesdist.com, they've got romy kits, a very good econo flat + rails, I don't know who makes it, but its damn good, only thing you'll have to open up some of the rivet/pin holes to correct size,

he's also got compliance parts and rivet/CS kits, his S&H is $7.95 per order no matter the amount,

DPHarms.com is decent also, I've gotten several good romy kits from him, last one was rusted to hell though,

midwestarmory.com has compliance parts and furniture and hard to find flash suppressors, that the other two above don't always have in stock or carry, he used to have free shipping on orders over $50.

Link Posted: 1/17/2007 3:22:59 PM EST
thanks for the info. you're a big help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2007 1:43:13 AM EST
Im up for this but I'll have a hard time getting my press moved Someone else will have to supply the press. I have a barrel press kit, rivet/bolt cutters, that work very well a trigger guard rivet jig and many other small tools that help in building. The only thing I dont have is a way to reach the lower rivet on an underfolder.

I cant make it during the week. It will have to be a weekend project for me. If a member want to use my tools I would be willing to loan them out if this happens and I cant make it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2007 7:06:39 AM EST
I bought one of the harbor freight presses and the small drill press a couple of months ago when I built my underfolder and pistol. I can supply them. It would probably have to be on the weekend for me too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2007 6:43:10 PM EST
Is this party open to anyone? Have two kits that need to be disassembled and two that are ready for receivers. Would really like to meet some of the OK members and it sounds like a good way to do it. Couple of shooting buddies would probably like to come along also. Have a small 12 ton press I can bring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 2:05:18 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 5:03:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By sherrick13:
Ok, I know next to nothing on building AK's. However I would like to get in on the next build near OKC.

Can someone fill me in on what I need?

You will need a kit, rivets, a drill bit index and compliance parts(a fire control group, receiver or flat, US made slant brake, gas piston or a US made p-grip) that is if you want to remain legal.

If everyone else brings tools that should do it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 5:12:48 AM EST
You need to get a demilled AK kit - Romanians are the cheapest., a receiver (factory or bend your own), and compliant parts. Usually a receiver, trigger set, pistol grip, and muzzle device - all US made. Upwards from $165 to $375, depending on the kit you buy and the parts you use.
From the kit, you'll need to disassemble the trunnion from the barrel (the hardest job of building one). You have to push out a pin holding the trunnion to the barrel, then push out the barrel. The trunnion is a solid piece of steel that is riveted to the sheet metal receiver.
Depending on your rear stock - folder or wood, you have to take rivets out of the rear stock attachment point. That is generally drill them out or punch them out after a little grinding to flatten the heads. The front trunnion barrel rivets are easy to take out.
Then you fit everything to the receiver, after riveting the front trunnion, trigger guard/mag latch, and stock attachment point to the receiver. That includes putting and pinning in the barrel, fitting the bot carrier and bolt to the receiver rails.

Bending your own receiver is cheaper but requires a lot more work like welding in the rails and heat treating. Not all that hard but just time consuming. A commercial receiver will run from $50 to $75. A flat is $20 or less.
I built one AMD pistol on a flat I built. I'm going to disassemble the kit and turn it into a carbine on another receiver. Got to use a new receiver to make it legal!
I've helped several guys assemble theirs. Ndenway has done the same. You need help, just get hold of me or Ndenway. I'll say Ndenway has kept up on part and kit prices better than I have though!
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 5:17:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Powderkeg:
Is this party open to anyone? Have two kits that need to be disassembled and two that are ready for receivers. Would really like to meet some of the OK members and it sounds like a good way to do it. Couple of shooting buddies would probably like to come along also. Have a small 12 ton press I can bring.

as far as I know its open to whom ever shows up, I don't think anyone would be unwelcome,

unless of course they can't take a joke, or are otherwise unfunny;

nah man, these build parties are a chance for all HT members to meet, they're almost as fun as a shoot, and you get to drink booze at these (in moderation of course, you don't want to be making an ass of yourself in someones else home),

once you've built one, then you've built all AKs, theres not much to building them, I'm kinda surprised more people arn't building them, even more surprised that they'd pay ungodly amounts of money to someone else to build one for them,

hell I built my first one with a screwdriver, hammer and monkey wrench, didn't even have any of the specialty tools, and the AK looks it, but it runs like a champ,

my later builds look damn good though, I finaly built some tooling to do them right.
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 9:34:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 6:43:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By sherrick13:
I want to make one totally from scratch. But I have never welded in my life.

When is the next build party?

no need to know how to weld, the spot welder will do all the work for you, as for a build date, I have no idea, whenever most everyone can make it to one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 6:13:32 PM EST
How about after it warms up just a litle bit?
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 6:39:49 PM EST
if you folks can wait a couple of months for me, i'll save up the cash for the parts.

how many compliance parts are needed? was it 9?

anyone willing to go step by step with me to get the right parts?
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 6:39:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Chucks1911:
How about after it warms up just a litle bit?

from what I've read it looks like most can make it on a weekend, so thats more than likely when it'll occur in the future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 7:35:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2007 7:39:08 PM EST by danc46]

Originally Posted By danc46:
compliant parts. Usually a receiver, trigger set, pistol grip, and muzzle device - all US made.

Posi, the trigger set is a hammer, trigger, disconnect. The receiver, pistol grip, and muzzle device all count if made in the US. That is the required 6 US made parts. You can also use a gas piston, butt stock, or forearm if made in the US. The US trigger set, pistol grip, and muzzle brake, will run around $50 from Brownells if you have an account. The receiver will cost $50 to $75 if you buy one, around $20 if you bend one from a flat. The kit costs from $100 to $500, depending on what you build from. Then a can of paint to finish it will run $3 to $9 for Alumahyde II which is equivalent to DuraCoat.

Here's some of the ones I built. I gave one to my sister, 2 to my son, sold one to a good friend, and then built a couple more after that. The wooden stock one is built from a flat I bent into a receiver. I have less then $175 in it. The others around $200. But that was the summer before last, a year and a half ago. Two of 'em are pistols that have been shot quite a bit. They are the most fun for blasting. At the JTAC shoot last April, several of the members here shot it. With the single point sling I bought from Jason at the shoot, they can be fairly accurate when braced off your shoulder with the nylon.
I even loaned one to some CLEET instructors teaching SWAT classes. One of 'em drove around with the thing loaded in his squad car for a month until I had to go get it back!

Link Posted: 1/21/2007 7:57:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2007 7:59:49 PM EST by posifour11]
is $140 a good price for a romo kit? that's what sportsman's guide has them for.

edit: i just found a kit and G2 trigger group combo for $125 at DPH
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 8:06:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By posifour11:
is $140 a good price for a romo kit? that's what sportsman's guide has them for.

edit: i just found a kit and G2 trigger group combo for $125 at DPH

yeah man thats more like it, also look at copesdist.com, I think copes has more stuff on hand and cheaper S&H than DPH, but hell their both good vendors to deal with,

whatever kit you get make sure its a matching numbered kit, if you want to build on a flat, copes got an econo flat that is very good for $10,

I think both have rivet/center support kits for $9

and most compliance kits, which will usally be the fcg, pistol grip and either a gas pistion or flash suppressor will run from $35 to $75 depending on where you shop,

I don't usally mess with the gas piston, they're like $17 and pain in the ass to change out, I'm not an AK pureist so I just change out the pistol grip to a US made one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 8:09:07 PM EST

if you folks can wait a couple of months for me, i'll save up the cash for the parts.

how many compliance parts are needed? was it 9?

anyone willing to go step by step with me to get the right parts?

hell man, go ahead and save up your money, don't worry if you miss this party, they'll always be others on down the line,

most of us that have build tools will still have them in the future, or at least I will I know for sure, I don't ever get rid of tools once I buy them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 8:39:12 PM EST
i'm in no major hurry. i just thought these builds were few and far between. i was already thinking of trading off my other toys to get parts. or maybe a pig or two...

i'll bide my time and plan ahead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 3:00:21 PM EST

i'm in no major hurry. i just thought these builds were few and far between. i was already thinking of trading off my other toys to get parts. or maybe a pig or two...

i'll bide my time and plan ahead.

hey you got any piglets for sale?

been looking around here and hadn't found any cheap enough, hell everybodies wanting way too much for them this year.

as for the build parties they are few and far between, but I've got build tools and can help anyone out at any time as long as our schedules will jive, so don't worry about setting on a kit and not being able to build it, because it can be done with a bit of planning ahead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 5:58:02 PM EST
i pretty much always have piglets for sale. i'm always starting out a new group, it seems. my little ones are about feeder size right now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 12:22:02 PM EST

depends on how many ya'll want to build, building on a flat will take approx 8hrs to to complete one rifle from prep to test fire,

building on a 100% receiver will take approx 4hrs from prep to test fire, (I've done it in two hours)

a flat will take approx 20 minutes to set up the jig and bend,

I don't spot the lower rails in until they and the reciever has been heat treated, the top rails have been cut to size and finished filed, and the front trunnion is installed,

I've got the tools to do a complete flat build, some are easily mobile, some of them arn't, and their mostly home built, but they can be used to build nice rifles

I don't have a punch to round the tang rivets heads, I use a hammer and flatten, so if ya'll want rounded rivet heads, you'll have to provide a concave punch, (I have a concave made from a section of piston)

if your wanting to do complete builds, you need one mag, some ammo to test fire, a complete rifle kit, rivet kit/center support and compliance parts + the 100% reciever or flat+rails you want to use
six compliance parts needed

the current tapco rivet set is good, it now has the correct diameter center support, and rear tang rivets, I think a center support/rivet set is currently running from $6 to $9/set,

if someone has the 5/32" rivets then I've got approx 30 of the 3/16" long rivets,

J&E bolt didn't have any length of the 5/32" rivets last time I was in there, counter dude said they could special order them though, (That's cause I bought them out)

also if your gonna buy a kit, brigadoons had romy kits and tapco flats last time I was in there, (Bought them out too)

if your ordering a kit look at copesdist.com, they've got romy kits, a very good econo flat + rails, I don't know who makes it, but its damn good, only thing you'll have to open up some of the rivet/pin holes to correct size,

he's also got compliance parts and rivet/CS kits, his S&H is $7.95 per order no matter the amount,

DPHarms.com is decent also, I've gotten several good romy kits from him, last one was rusted to hell though,

midwestarmory.com has compliance parts and furniture and hard to find flash suppressors, that the other two above don't always have in stock or carry, he used to have free shipping on orders over $50.

Link Posted: 1/29/2007 12:23:17 PM EST
brigadoons does have 100% ITM receivers in 7.62 AND 5.45 (5.45 also works for 223)
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 2:30:54 PM EST

building on a 100% receiver will take approx 4hrs from prep to test fire, (I've done it in two hours)

thats a beginners number, last one I worked on took a bit less then two hours, but a newb's gonna take at least 4hrs to build one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 4:52:10 PM EST
I will come and watch & learn. Any date yet?
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 7:10:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By okguy91:
I will come and watch & learn. Any date yet?

no date posted that I've seen, but the weather supposed to shitty again this weekend, this thing might not happen till feb or later, so theres plenty of time to get materials gathered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 1:25:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/30/2007 1:28:42 PM EST by santanatwo]
That's two hours, starting from a demilled kit with the receiver stubs still attached, using a receiver with NO predrilled rivet holes, taking my time, sipping wine, measuring with calipers (instead of using another trunion for a drill jig), more wine, tunning the rails, more wine, were was I? Oh yea, more wine....

and umm.....

oh yea,

test fire...

if the trunions are prepped and the barrel knocked out, and using a predrilled receiver...

pfft...

20 minutes?

Link Posted: 2/9/2007 6:08:36 PM EST
Okay....I'm gonn throw out a date........FEB. 23rd? Who all could come......and who could host? I can host, but have NONE of the crap....If people want to bring it, I'm good with that!
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 7:16:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/10/2007 10:07:24 AM EST by bratch]
I'm definatley interested. I had planned on buying a couple more Aks but building them seems a much better idea.

Does the G2 trigger that Copes kits come with count as compliant parts? If so how many?

After looking around a little I believe that I'd still need 2 parts probably slant brake and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 1:00:53 PM EST
I can't make the 23rd.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 2:45:45 PM EST

I can't make the 23rd.

What days are you off and available for a build?
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 3:55:29 PM EST

I can't make the 23rd.

What days are you off and available for a build?

usally wed-thurs-fri but I got in state training that week and an appointment to see the ear doc fri 23rd.

last week in feb. and the first week in march my scheduled changes to sun-mon-tues.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top