Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/14/2006 6:22:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 6:24:03 PM EDT by RockHard13F]
Yeah, I've gone and said the A-word. Looks like there is a place that trains cops and military in CQB up in Manassas with airsoft guns, and I will be going to play some wargames with them friday night. Play goes til 1am saturday morning unless you got an early bedtime. Full Auto, 200 foot range, the whole bit. Those not morally opposed to spending money on 1000 rounds to shoot at targets that shoot back this weekend are more then welcome to join me. I think they said renting a weapon that comes with 1k rounds would be 40 bucks. The place allows walkons Fridays, so I dunno how many other people will be there, but I am planning on bringing several with me. Any takers?

-Ben

ETA link to the facility.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:52:28 AM EDT
I know the place. Nice people working there, but don't get it in your head that you'll be able to do a lot of training. Lots of kids playing games instead of thinking. The spray and pray attitude rules the day, with tactics being rudimentary at best, a complete afterthought at worst.

If you're looking to see what the games are like, go for it. If you're looking to evaluate airsoft as a training tool, I think that's a poor enviroment to try it in.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:42:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Subzero:
I know the place. Nice people working there, but don't get it in your head that you'll be able to do a lot of training. Lots of kids playing games instead of thinking. The spray and pray attitude rules the day, with tactics being rudimentary at best, a complete afterthought at worst.

If you're looking to see what the games are like, go for it. If you're looking to evaluate airsoft as a training tool, I think that's a poor enviroment to try it in.

I suppose a few guys just home from their rotation should be able to clean house then? Made it this long without getting hit, don't want to start now, games or not.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:47:28 AM EDT
I might be up in Northern Virginia on Friday anyway, so I may give it a try, but I have never done it before.

What are the people generally like?

What type of "guns" are the rentals?

What equipment, if any, do you need?

What are the rules? From what I gather from looking at them, the BB's don't appear that they break when you get hit by them. So is it an honor thing, do you bring yourself out when you get hit, or is there another way of telling?

How much will it cost besides the rental?

How long does a game generally last and around how many games would there be in that period?

Is there anything else that I left out that you think may be useful?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:50:37 AM EDT
Be carefull, I used to play paintball before it went completely spray and pray. Players that actually knew tactcis would completely own the military crowd due to the traditional military tactics being OLD and ineffective. If these guys are just back from a rotation oversees they probably fair better than those that never been in that situation but watch that too because a lot of the tactics used over there are plane wrong too. Those "kids" have the advantage of playing that game every week and if they had anyone teach them the basics they have had thousands of times to "Die" and come back to life and learn from their mistakes. Trust me some of the stuff I learned playing ball when I was 12 saved my ass on so many wargaming scenarios and when oversees.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:43:11 PM EDT
RockHard13F: You're playing against people who have lay of the land, no fear of getting hit, plenty of ammo and all the angles already scouted. They hit hard, move fast and have enough initiative to make it interesting. I would think it would seem quite familiar to someone who just got back. I'm not going to say you could clean up, but it'll be interesting.

civprod: I met a lot of good people playing. I didn't care for the younger crowd in general, so that place lost a lot of luster for me very quickly. It's a tremendous facility and the staff are very nice and very patient. The guns are AK variants and M4's, if memory serves. You can walk in off the street with nothing and play. They have the gun, the mask and the ammo. You just need money. It's all on the honor system, which can get a little frustrating. In addition to the rental, you may need to buy extra ammo at ~$15 per bag of 1500. That'll be enough for a lot of playing. Individual games can last between 5-30 minutes depending on the scenario type. You play until you feel like sitting out, then jump in the when next game starts.

KogaShuko points out something I feel is very valuable. While "gaming" isn't like being in a gunfight, it's a lot better than dry firing in your living room. Force on force gaming (of any type) can be a real eye opener if all you know is a square range, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:51:19 PM EDT

RockHard13F: You're playing against people who have lay of the land, no fear of getting hit, plenty of ammo and all the angles already scouted. They hit hard, move fast and have enough initiative to make it interesting. I would think it would seem quite familiar to someone who just got back. I'm not going to say you could clean up, but it'll be interesting.

civprod: I met a lot of good people playing. I didn't care for the younger crowd in general, so that place lost a lot of luster for me very quickly. It's a tremendous facility and the staff are very nice and very patient. The guns are AK variants and M4's, if memory serves. You can walk in off the street with nothing and play. They have the gun, the mask and the ammo. You just need money. It's all on the honor system, which can get a little frustrating. In addition to the rental, you may need to buy extra ammo at ~$15 per bag of 1500. That'll be enough for a lot of playing. Individual games can last between 5-30 minutes depending on the scenario type. You play until you feel like sitting out, then jump in the when next game starts.

KogaShuko points out something I feel is very valuable. While "gaming" isn't like being in a gunfight, it's a lot better than dry firing in your living room. Force on force gaming (of any type) can be a real eye opener if all you know is a square range, IMHO.

You sure you don't want to join us Sub? Myself and two other arfcommers (Schlagermeister and I forget the others handle) are going.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:25:01 PM EDT
No thanks. I haven't played in a while and don't really feel the desire to do so anymore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:34:11 PM EDT
What time is everyone planning on getting there? This does sound really intriguing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 8:18:41 PM EDT by RockHard13F]

Originally Posted By civprod:
What time is everyone planning on getting there? This does sound really intriguing.

Got to find out if I can skip track that day, but hopefully we will be leaving at 2 or 3, getting there 4 or 5, depending on road times. I got a deal right now where I am supposed to call ahead as I leave and tell them how many weapons I want reserved.

-Ben

ETA: I am bringing 8 people right now, and they told me to expect upwards of 20 others to be there on friday. They have 29 rental weapons.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 8:27:17 PM EDT by RockHard13F]
Sorry, I misread your post. We are planning on arriving at about 1830. Will be a few college kids with us. I will be wearing Tactical Tailor LBV and BDUs with a 116th Cav Brigade patch on them and the name Woods.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:44:42 PM EDT

No thanks. I haven't played in a while and don't really feel the desire to do so anymore.

VA Rangers disbanded?

Sorry to hear that.
Top Top