Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 10:53:56 AM EDT
Airman Is Shot After Brief Chase
A deputy's shooting of a car passenger in Chino was videotaped. The man was wounded while apparently obeying the officer's order to get up.

By Lance Pugmire and Michelle Keller, Times Staff Writers

A San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy shot an Air Force security officer late Sunday night after the airman told the deputy that he was in the military and "on your side." A videotape of the incident, which was shot on a residential Chino street about 10:30 p.m., was of poor quality, showing only a silhouette of the deputy and the face of the man who was shot — illuminated by the deputy's flashlight.

But the tape appears to show the deputy opening fire as the man was trying to comply with the officer's apparent order to stand up.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, had been riding as a passenger in a Corvette that was involved in a brief, high-speed chase with the deputy that reached speeds of 100 mph before the Corvette crashed into a fence, authorities said.

The videotape, shot by Chino resident Jose Luis Valdes, shows Carrion sprawled on the ground and repeatedly telling the deputy, "I'm on your side."

The deputy then seems to shout, "Get up!" after which Carrion appears to lean forward. "I'm going to get up, all right?" he says.

The deputy then fires his gun three or four times from about five feet away. "Shut … up, you don't get up …!" he shouts.

Moaning in pain, Carrion responds: "You told me to get up."

The deputy then radioed in to dispatch that shots had been fired.

It is unclear from the grainy tape whether there was anything in Carrion's movements that provoked the deputy to fire his weapon.

The videotape begins with the deputy already conversing with Carrion, so it is unclear whether the lawman was acting on information he obtained before Valdes began taping.

Sheriff's investigators took the original tape as evidence.

"Our homicide division is conducting a thorough investigation," said Sheriff Gary Penrod. "The investigation will examine all of the evidence. Some of the evidence will include a video that was given to the Sheriff's Department by a citizen."

Penrod said the results of the investigation would be forwarded to the San Bernardino County district attorney's office for review.

Penrod declined to provide any details of the incident, saying it would be "inappropriate" until the investigation was completed.

Carrion, who recently returned from Iraq, has not been charged with a crime, although the incident is under investigation, sheriff's spokeswoman Robin Haynal said Monday evening.

He underwent surgery Monday at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton after being shot in the chest, leg and shoulder, according to his wife. By evening, he was listed in good condition.

A woman who lives near the site of the shooting on the 5500 block of Francis Avenue said she heard a loud screech when the Corvette smashed into the fence. Then she heard the deputy shouting orders at the people in the car, but did not see the shooting.

"I heard the deputy scream, 'Get down … ! You shouldn't have made me chase you!' " according to the resident, who declined to be identified. "It seemed like the deputy was screaming 'Get down … !' for about a minute and a half, and then I heard four gunshots, boom! boom! boom! boom! Even after the shooting, the deputy was still screaming.

"The cussing part sounds like a rage. I didn't see anything, but the fact he kept screaming for them to get down sounded like they weren't getting down."

Carrion's wife, Mariela, 19, said her husband told her that he did nothing wrong. She said that, after he came out of surgery Monday afternoon, he said: "They shot me for no reason."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
__________________________________________________________________________________
"I heard the deputy scream, 'Get down … ! You shouldn't have made me chase you!' " according to the resident, who declined to be identified. "It seemed like the deputy was screaming 'Get down … !' for about a minute and a half, and then I heard four gunshots, boom! boom! boom! boom! Even after the shooting, the deputy was still screaming.

"The cussing part sounds like a rage. I didn't see anything, but the fact he kept screaming for them to get down sounded like they weren't getting down."

Carrion's wife, Mariela, 19, said her husband told her that he did nothing wrong. She said that, after he came out of surgery Monday afternoon, he said: "They shot me for no reason."
__________________________________________________________________________________
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Road rage, San Berdoo Sheriff style.

Interested in more details.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]

civilian..wait i mean AF active duty------> "on your side, man!"    

deputy  ---> "wheew oh kay in that case let me holster my weapon.... NOT!  you scum suckin dirtbag ...BAM, BAM, BAM,BAM
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Quoted:
civilian..wait i mean AF active duty------> "on your side, man!"    

deputy  ---> "wheew oh kay in that case let me holster my weapon.... NOT!  you scum suckin dirtbag ...BAM, BAM, BAM,BAM

Can you please explain to me what your point is, FireControlman?  I certainly don't get it.  I do theink that BOTH the deputy and the active duty service man are worthy of all our respect pending the outcome of further investigation of this matter.  Basically, I think you are being disrespectful and that is not okay.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What remains a gaping hole in this story is why the driver took tehm on the high speed chase, however brief.  "Running implies guilt" is an established legal principal.  Especially so, after being ordered to pull over.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Mike, relax bro. I'm jesting at the way the media is reporting this, anything for spin.  It is quite obvious that there are ENORMOUS gaping holes in this report.  

I'm no cop-basher as I have LEO's in my family and I'm active duty myself.   It's hard to believe the ladies statement of "You shouldn't have made me chase you!' " and so forth.  

Who the hell would throw their career away over a chase, a job that pays a decent pay check. I haven't seen the pay scale for San Bernardino county but you get my point.

I'm not rushing to judgement, just making light of the situation. No direct disrespect here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Can you please explain to me what your point is, FireControlman?  I certainly don't get it.  I do theink that BOTH the deputy and the active duty service man are worthy of all our respect pending the outcome of further investigation of this matter.  Basically, I think you are being disrespectful and that is not okay.

Does one earn respect by being enraged and shooting someone in the back?

One of the first rules of martial arts is DON"T GET ANGRY! If this story is in fact truth, the officer got angry, lost control and screwed up. In my book he loses respect. Thats the way the (respect) game is played; you earn respect, and lose it when you prove you no longer deserve it.

Would you want that officer as your backup, now that you know what his stress response includes?

Lets just let this be a hypothetical scenario, as we will never know what really happened. I am just going on the STORY, not the facts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But the tape appears to show the deputy opening fire as the man was trying to comply with the officer's apparent order to stand up.

The videotape, shot by Chino resident Jose Luis Valdes, shows Carrion sprawled on the ground and repeatedly telling the deputy, "I'm on your side."

The deputy then seems to shout, "Get up!" after which Carrion appears to lean forward. "I'm going to get up, all right?" he says.

The deputy then fires his gun three or four times from about five feet away. "Shut … up, you don't get up …!" he shouts.

Moaning in pain, Carrion responds: "You told me to get up."

The deputy then radioed in to dispatch that shots had been fired.

Humm

The deputy will have to explain what was captured on video, or actually the recorded dialog. If he did order the person to comply then shot the person for complying well.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Roger that, FireControlman.

All I'm saying is what happened appears to me to be a trajedy for all involved - the airman AND the police officer.

Why did the driver run?  Was he showing off?  Were they drinking in the car?  Were drugs involved?  Was the airman an innocent victim of the driver's failure to yield?  We need to know more about the driver.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Does one earn respect by being enraged and shooting someone in the back?

One of the first rules of martial arts is DON"T GET ANGRY! If this story is in fact truth, the officer got angry, lost control and screwed up. In my book he loses respect. Thats the way the (respect) game is played; you earn respect, and lose it when you prove you no longer deserve it.

Would you want that officer as your backup, now that you know what his stress response includes?

Lets just let this be a hypothetical scenario, as we will never know what really happened. I am just going on the STORY, not the facts.

That scenario, while probable, is NOT FACTUAL (yet).  What if the officer responded because he felt the guy was going for a weapon?

If the officer's situation may be one of an honorable man who's story ended tragically.

Personally, I cut police officers a lot of slack.  Honestly, I think everyone should be required to do a five year tour of duty and no one should be allowed to do it for more than approximately ten years.  It is a VERY stressful job.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I think we can all rule out it was a high speed chase for fun, alcohol must have been involved or the passenger had warrants, drugs in the vehicle or was in fact high. The senior Airman might live by a drug free lifestyle being in the military however we don't know the first thing about the driver.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think we can all rule out it was a high speed chase for fun, alcohol must have been involved or the passenger had warrants, drugs in the vehicle or was in fact high. The senior Airman might live by a drug free lifestyle being in the military however we don't know the first thing about the driver.

Wasn't the Airman the passenger and the driver had bailed at that point?

In any case there are still a lot of unanswered questions, assuming the Airman was clean, hanging with a dirty old friend who dragged him along as an unwilling participant was not thinking smart.    I haven't seen the whole thing what I saw was from an angle.  But one would hope that an SP (not MP) would have been extremely circumspect in his responses.  My impression was that there were at least two officers giving directions.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
"The deputy then seems to shout, "Get up!" after which Carrion appears to lean forward. "I'm going to get up, all right?" he says.

The deputy then fires his gun three or four times from about five feet away. "Shut … up, you don't get up …!" he shouts."

It seemed like the deputy was screaming 'Get down … !' for about a minute and a half, and then I heard four gunshots, boom! boom! boom! boom! Even after the shooting, the deputy was still screaming.

Ok, I'm confused. Which one was it?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#14]
NBC4 just showed the tape on their newscast. Sounds like it was a bad shoot. He was on the ground and in dialog with the officer. The officer tells him to get up and then it goes bad. Clearly you hear in the officers voice that he was stressed big time prior to the shoot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm stuck in the office...you guys are seeing this on the telly?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"The deputy then seems to shout, "Get up!" after which Carrion appears to lean forward. "I'm going to get up, all right?" he says.

The deputy then fires his gun three or four times from about five feet away. "Shut … up, you don't get up …!" he shouts."

It seemed like the deputy was screaming 'Get down … !' for about a minute and a half, and then I heard four gunshots, boom! boom! boom! boom! Even after the shooting, the deputy was still screaming.

Ok, I'm confused. Which one was it?

It said he was screaming "get down" for a while, then shortly after the shots were fired. We already know that the airman was on the ground when he was shot, so it sounds like the cop was stressing and yelling for them to get down, which they did, and then told them to get up and when he tried to he opened fire.

One thing everyone is missing is this:

The deputy then fires his gun three or four times from about five feet away

and

He underwent surgery Monday at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton after being shot in the chest, leg and shoulder, according to his wife.

uhhh.....that's only 75% accuracy from FIVE FUCKING FEET AWAY. That guy was either shaking horribly bad, stressing to the point where he just randomly started pulling the trigger, or he needs to go up for a review before he is allowed to carry a loaded weapon anywhere near someone else.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I watched the video several times. Looks very bad for the cop.

HUGE PLUS ONE on that BB!!

Just saw the video... Cop yells "GET UP" and the passenger says "Get up?" and the cop then says "YES GET UP" as he is getting up he is saying "Im an MP, and I am getting up" then... *POP* *POP* *POP*

SB sheriff deputy got some splainin' to do.

Good news is that the MP is listed in "GOOD" condition.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I too have seen and heard the video several times.  I think I've seen enough.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The cop just popped him after telling him to get up.  You can clearly hear the cop yelling "Get Up!"

He won’t get out of this one.  He’s lucky the victim wasn’t a black guy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#21]
That cop is done!  He shot 5 times, how many shots does it take???  Maybe the passenger was trying to get out of the car, but wait the car was going 100+mph.  If I were the Airman I'd get the Civilian Military Police (equivalent to the Marine's PMO) to also do an investigation on this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn, some of you guys need to stop trying to monday morning quarter back a printed news story!  LOL

Here's the video:

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3701021042638173366

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Officials believe the MP's condition will soon be upgraded to "WEALTHY".
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Only needed to watch it once.  

What a piece if shit, chase or know chase he still shot him and didn't even try and help him or even put his gun away after he screamed in pain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#25]
He shot the guy in the back!!!  Four times!!! (ETA:  Sorry, only THREE times)

What happened to pepper spray or taser?  

If the Airman was a roller tart or a racial minority  all he would have gotten was a ass whuppin with a billy club.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#26]
The radio said the guy was a MP in the military.  He was shot three times.
Leg, chest, and shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Very bizzare video. Sounded like cover was almost there why not just keep the guy proned out? Was the guy not complying he wasnt really laying down? "Get up" that seems kind of strange. Did the guy make some kind of weird movement when he was getting up that caused the shooting. Very strange.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top