Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2013 4:52:36 PM EDT
Hope y'all allow this Georgian who spent a fair share of time in Texas and married one to intrude. I'm following one of the founders of Open Carry Texas on Facebook who had an interview with Greg Abbott and here's what he had to say. Greg Abbot isn't afraid to say he supports open carry

Further on in our conversation about guns, General Abbott also brought up why we are having the gun control debate in the first place and that is because of the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. The mood in the room became somber as he spoke about how no parent should even have to consider the horrifying thought of not being able to pick up their child because they were gun downed at school. However, he did go on to say that, “Whenever we are trying to address a tragedy it should be addressed in a way that will solve it. We are talking about guns, but the debate about what the possible solutions are, aren’t really addressing the problem which is violence in our society.”

I saved the last question of the interview to ask General Abbott if he supported open carry. I wanted to get a clear answer, so I just asked for a “Yes” or “No” answer and he responded with a, “Yes.” He later added that he felt an open carry law would have similar success as the Concealed Handgun License Laws have had in Texas
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It's good to see open political support for our rights.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm glad to hear of a high-profile politician supporting open carry in Texas. The more I read about Abbott (which hasn't been a lot, honestly), the more I like the idea of him taking the reins from Perry.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Abbott a lot, so far.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
He has my vote
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd vote for him not just on his stance on gun rights but also his overall views of the role of government. Plus he likes to fuck with the EPA as much as possible so
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Jerry Patterson (running for Lt. Governor) was interviewed on the Sam Malone show this morning (AM 1070 in Houston).  Jerry said he's in favor of open carry in Texas (he was instrumental in the passage of our first CHL law (SB 60) back in 1995).

Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Abbott has my vote as it currently stands. From what I know about him, he'd have to really screw up to lose that vote.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for post this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jerry Patterson (running for Lt. Governor) was interviewed on the Sam Malone show this morning (AM 1070 in Houston).  Jerry said he's in favor of open carry in Texas (he was instrumental in the passage of our first CHL law (SB 60) back in 1995).

View Quote

Jerry Patterson is a true believer.  He was sponsoring gun rights legislation before it was cool.  Having him as Lt. Governor would be huge for Texas RKBA.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Abbott hates trees though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, that's cold.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone asked him about constitutional carry?
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He has my vote
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Indeed, I like this idea of "address the violence". There's multitudes of reason for the violence...economic disparity, the multitudes of soft targets, simple ethnic culture/values...
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm glad to hear of a high-profile politician supporting open carry in Texas. The more I read about Abbott (which hasn't been a lot, honestly), the more I like the idea of him taking the reins from Perry.
View Quote

Damn near anybody would be better than Wendy Lou....

Glad to see Abbott on our side regarding 2nd amendment rights. Gun rights being my primary voting criteria...I'll be sending him some campaign dough.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, I think the trees hate him....
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Man, that's cold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, that's cold.

No shit thats cold  Whats next start kicking special needs kids
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top