Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 1:15:19 PM EDT
What do you think?  Does anyone here have both patterns?  I am going to buy a pair of pants and maybe some other stuff and was wondering what you all think blends in better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen the MultiCam, and it's the HEAT, but expensive.

OD and Woodland work here as well, I would think that the AUC pattern is a bit too gray or blue.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean by HEAT?  I know the stuff's pricey, but I can handle it hurting once (meaning I buy a good pair of pants and wear the crap out of them).

I really like the looks of the digital patterns myself...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I think ACU would do the trick for all season here in WI.

ACU

VS

Multicam
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hrm, I like ACU when it's green out, but the MultiCam might do the trick when it's in the fall.

Thanks for the opinions guys, any more?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Right about now, I'd recommend a yeti costume.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
i got issued acu's it kinda sucks to me, they only blend with gravel or a road thats about it. FMD the pattern is pretty grayish blue. doesn't really do well in the greenage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The ACU pattern is decent but the color choice is very poor. It works very well in certain environments but is not even close to being universal.
Multicam on the other hand is easily the best pattern out there, and as universal as you will find. Expensive yes, but nothing else comes close.
Check out Military Morons. They have an area dedicated to ACU and Multicam comparisons, and it is loaded with pics.

www.militarymorons.com/

Also check out these Multicam Pics www.multicampattern.com/IMAGES.htm
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I am seriously out-of-date with camo.  That Multi-Cam looks fantastic!  Who has the best price, and how much is a set going to hurt?

ETA
$210 for one pair of pants and a shirt

$190 for one set  

fabric source

Maybe I can persuade my wife to sew something together.  Then again, my woodland stuff is looking better and better...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Right about now, I'd recommend a yeti costume.

Or a frosty the snowman costume.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What do you mean by HEAT?

The heat, the shiznit, cool, hot, phat, etc.  i.e. "MultiCam is very nice".  

Jesse's the only person that I know of that has posted so far and had a look at the "real deal" (actual Army issue, vs. the knockoffs) AUC pattern.  I think that he agreed with me that the colors are too blue-grey for effective camo in WI.  IIRC, MultiCam is the "Scorpion" pattern that won the Army tests for a "universal" pattern, but it was just too expensive to put into common use.

I'll repeat that for emphasis: Natick thought the MC pattern/colors were better but the .gov just couldn't afford it.  You can probably draw some conlusions from this.  I know I have.

BC: I too would like to see how well the colors hold up with use.  That uncertianty as well as the cost (not to mention the Gucci Gear factor) has kept me from delving in so far.

Also, with all due respect to DarkNite:  you really can't make a color comparison on single swatches.  The MultiCam has a "fading" background that runs from light tan to almost forest green (with coyote brown in between) over a space of several square yards of fabric.  A color swatch from one piece of fabric will look completely different from a swatch taken from the same piece 6"-12" away (see the links provided by Quinlan).

JMHO, YMMV, etc.

ETA:
ACU = Advanced Combat Uniform (the clothing)
AUC = Advanced Universal Camouflage (the pattern)
Yet another acronym SNAFU brought to you by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept. (aka the DoD).
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Wasn't there two versions of the AUC? one was alittle grener or something like that?

Anyway Someone was wearing Multi-cam at the Racine carbine class back in May and I was impressed with it. I don't think i have any good pics though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]
There is a version that just the marines wear that's a little bit darker.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]
There is only 1 version of the ACU.

The marines have 2 versions, woodland and desert. (green and tan)

--

I prefer woodland. Woodland still is probaly the best for Wisconsin. Besides, trying to find MARPAT stuff is near impossible for gear and the like.

Stick with woodland or OD.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]
The USMC MARPAT stuff isn't all that hard to find.  It looks pretty cool, a lot like the AUC but greener.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

--

I prefer woodland. Woodland still is probaly the best for Wisconsin. Besides, trying to find MARPAT stuff is near impossible for gear and the like.

Ok guys lets get this straight.

MARPAT= MARINES
ACU/AUC= ARMY

They are not the same pattern, they are not the same cammo.

There was a first version of the AUC ythat waschanged becuase it was to blue or to grey and IIRC they greened it up a bit more. It was mentioned someplace on this board don't know if it's true or not. But the person that posted it IIRC had something to do with the testing and all that shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--

Ok guys lets get this straight.

MARPAT= MARINES
ACU/AUC= ARMY

They are not the same pattern, they are not the same cammo.

There was a first version of the AUC ythat waschanged becuase it was to blue or to grey and IIRC they greened it up a bit more. It was mentioned someplace on this board don't know if it's true or not. But the person that posted it IIRC had something to do with the testing and all that shit.

There was actually more than 1 type of the ACU for the testing ;) But for the ACU, there final, the finished product, there is only one.

I think we all know that MARPAT is USMC and the ACU is Army ;)

But I still think Woodland is best for Wisconsin. IMO ;) The ACU is too light colored, and the MARPAT Green Version is awesome, but super hard to find in the right size, and gear is next to impossible!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top