Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 11:07:31 PM EDT
I am a newbie in this forum. I happen to live in Kalifornia. Is it illegal for a person in my state to purchase or buy through the website an 80% PCR AR-15 lower receiver so I can manufacture/build my own legal AR-15 firearm according to Kali laws?

The GCA of 1968 states this but I could not find it in the GCA laws. I just copied this from the website that makes the lower PCR's.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 [GCA] states: “Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms must be licensed”. However, apart from that, certain exceptions are made. The Act allows a firearm may be made by a non-licensee, provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. Our purchasers are the “makers” or "manufacturer's" of the receiver.

Furthermore, I tried to search this under Kalifornia Gun Control laws and I just could not find it referenced anywhere. Can anyone shed some light to this dilemna?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
80% AR-15 frame, probably legal unless they nail you for intent.

Don't complete it unless in a way already expressly authorized by the DOJ (sealed magazine well, or permanently fixed magazine).

If you have new ideas for some other legal way that will be submitted to the DOJ, go ahead and share them.

ETA: Federally 80% firearms are legal and you are not technically a manufacturer of said firearms (you're not SELLING them, so you're not in BUSINESS and thus don't need a license), however you do need to follow some rules, like - you may not build it with the intent to sell it to anyone (just keep it for yourself for life, and will it to a family member). You must do the remaining 20% of the machining BY YOURSELF! You can have someone else help you set it up, but when it comes to the actual cuts/drilling you MUST make them yourself.

In CA with regards to handguns (since we also have a "you can't make an "unsafe" handgun" crap - must be a model certified by the DOJ) there have been mixed responses about wheather finishing an 80% handgun frame is technically "manufacturing" or not (though you do not need a federal or state manufacturing license since you're not making them for resale)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top