Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 8:30:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Ah yes....the ghetto. Lovely place. I have to work down there a few times a week. My defense level goes ultra high when I hit that part of town. Glad to see you made it out.

I imagine everyone experiences major changes in life, and the fortunate ones have some form of control over them. It has been my experience that when life gets really shitty, it most always ends up putting you somewhere better than where you were.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, my life change quite literally came from the Army National Guard

I spent most of my college years working full time either as a security officer and then eventually got a job working for a small gun shop.  I began to learn firearms, reloading, precision and tactical shooting, and the disease really began.  Between the disease, college, and the social life entailed in such, I quickly found that the full time pay and national guard wasn't enough.  The credit cards and student loans piled up.  I got married in 2002 as my wife finished college but I still had a year and a half to go (i had switched majors a couple times)  We were over $50,000 in debt in all, living in a trailer house in bemidji.  I worked extra, sold some guns, but the damage was done.  

Then a deployment to Bosnia came up in 2003, I was 23, and I consider this the first in a string of good changes.  For one, the pay increase was able to pay off almost 13,000 in the course of the 10 months.  I realized that the gunshop was not cutting it for income and began looking for AGR (full time National Guard) jobs.  After getting accepted for two jobs then having them cut for budget reasons before I even got home, I realized I would have to do the work thing until I could finish school and get the hell out.  My wife's degree was in Computer Science, and this would require us moving away from Bemidji, where there were almost no job oppurtunities for her - which left her working at Herbergers.  

When I got home, the gun shop had closed up and my father in law wanted us to move back to the iron range to get a job in the mines or something.  He chewed my wifes ass on the phone that we were wasting our time and lives.  I sat down started thinking and started writing emails with my resume to companies in the firearms industry that might be interested in a Army guy/gunshop manager/ veteran/ with almost a degree.  The next day I got a call back, an invite for an interview, and we were off to move towards the cities.  

That was May 2004.  Now, I sit in Iraq on a second deployment, that job still waiting patiently for my return, the wife with a computer job she's happy with, a house, kid (that I've only seen for my 14 day leave- she was born a week after I arrived in Iraq) two vehicles, dog, cat, (several more guns) and we are down to the last $10,000 of school loans and consolidation - which should be almost gone by the time I get home.

My success story

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
kid (that I've only seen for my 14 day leave- she was born a week after I arrived in Iraq)
 I can hardly imagine doing this.  So all I can say to you is Thank you!

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Un believeable, isn't it?

First of all, let me say thanks to Booniehat223.  I'm glad things are working out for you and don't forget to CY6!

5 years ago when I met Inuh, Fed, Lurch and devilsadvocate at the first MN_HTF ARFCOM shoot, I was married to my ex-wife.  Now, I am re-married, self-employed and expecting my first child in January.  Amazing how life changes in such a short time.

It changes more drastically the younger you are as demonstrated by the two stories above

Thanks for sharing your story, Inuh!    Now quit throwing your trash in the alley!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
hey booniehat,

thanks man.  keep your f-ing head down.  if you need ANYTHING, let me know, it'll be in the mail ASAP!

iNuhBaDNayburhood--damn dude, thats one mighty fine get-o!

C
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
snip

just

Thank you for your service SIR!

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
To all the "thank you's"......thank you.

I think I speak for almost eveyone in the military when I say that those simple words are the most meaningful benefits of being in the military, and what I think I would miss the most if I don't re-enlist (I have less than a year to make up my mind, I will have 9 years by then).  But I do miss everything from family to hunting and fishing.

Thank you all again, I should be home roughly March'ish, will probably bump into a few of you at the ranges and clubs.

ps-

Inuhbad, - congrats on your success as well...you might not be on the top but as you said, you're moving up.  Nice to see other people doing something about their lives rather than "woe is me"

MCN - congrats on the kid, I think I know what you're feeling there

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
boonie-  what's your area of expertise in the military?  i mean what do you "do" in iraq?

thanks

C
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Boonie, a heartfelt thanks from my wife and I.  Nothing we could ever do will properly express the gratitude we feel for every one of the service people that take time out of their lives to make sure we can live ours.

INuh, you look really familiar, do you work down on University and 280?

My big life change was 8 years ago up in Duluth.  I dropped out of college and it was the best thing I ever did.  I got away from the party lifestyle and some bad influences and started to grow up and take responsibility for who I was.  I consider self improvement an ongoing task so I'm back in school and working full time but I'm on a more fullfilling path rather than one based on a projected yearly income level.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it's a case of mistaken identity if you don't work in that area as a banker.  

There is a lot to be said about quality of life in your job.  I recently took a lateral transfer, ended up with more work, same pay but the people and intangible benifts make it all worth while.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I probably did see you there then and assume you worked there.  Small world.
I work right near there and end up at that same Wells Fargo at least once a week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:13:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, by MOS I'm supposed to be an 19K = M1 Abrams Tank Crewman.  My Unit back home is converting to Cavalry, so I'll be converting to be a 19D = Cavalry Scout.

here...We do nothing like that.  We have a lot of different missions, convoys, patrols etc.  My two primary jobs are working as our armorer (based on my civilian experience, not by army training) and I am a Sergeant of the Guard, responsible for a section of our bases perimeter defenses.  

eta - sorry, this is Booniehat223, angrysgt is my roomate, I got him hooked up on this board, apparently he didn't log off....my bad
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, by MOS I'm supposed to be an 19K = M1 Abrams Tank Crewman.  My Unit back home is converting to Cavalry, so I'll be converting to be a 19D = Cavalry Scout.

here...We do nothing like that.  We have a lot of different missions, convoys, patrols etc.  My two primary jobs are working as our armorer (based on my civilian experience, not by army training) and I am a Sergeant of the Guard, responsible for a section of our bases perimeter defenses.  

eta - sorry, this is Booniehat223, angrysgt is my roomate, I got him hooked up on this board, apparently he didn't log off....my bad

Man...do I feel stupid now
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:00:24 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:

HellA trailer house in Bemidji.....good grief!!!!!    It is better than the trailer we live in Iraq!!
 It's nice to keep in touch with MN shooters while we're  over here.    We have some CMP rifles waiting for us at home that need shooting!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That happened to our Mod once before, too!

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Log off?????  Hell Booniehat is on here 12 hours a day as it is  !!!!!!!   I think he stole my identity !!!  I have to sneak in here to get my work done...and it's my computer!!!!!
A trailer house in Bemidji.....good grief!!!!!    It is better than the trailer we live in Iraq!!
 It's nice to keep in touch with MN shooters while we're  over here.    We have some CMP rifles waiting for us at home that need shooting!!!!!!!!

Angrysgt lived in a trailer once too...and aren't you initially from somewhere over by Bemidji?  See I never drank the water there, so I'm not as messed up - jk
He only own 1.5 AR's so his opinions don't matter anyway  He's just an old... ANGRYsupplySGT
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey...  That doesn't matter...  For a while here one of the mods only had 0.5 ARs!!!  

I wonder who TF that was!?!?!  

Anybody else have any 'Pivotal' or life changing events happen in their lives?

ARFCOM was life changing for me....I had one.....now not so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top