Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/1/2008 11:44:46 AM EST
I was glancing at Marks post, and it just got me thinking...

Is anyone on here still actually using an old dial-up connection?

If so how do you manage with such a slow connection... I've just come back from uni where there was a 10mbit/s connection, and I'm finding our 1mbit/s connection at home slow
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:59:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tyga:

If so how do you manage with such a slow connection... I've just come back from uni where there was a 10mbit/s connection, and I'm finding our 1mbit/s connection at home slow

I'm on broadband but it's still going into our first/old(7 years) 500Mhz processor!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:21:36 PM EST

Oh dear, life just sooo sucks for you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:01:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

Oh dear, life just sooo sucks for you.

WE used to live in 'ole 'int road.....and every night our father would come 'ome and whack us wi' big leather belt whether we needed it or not...........so don't talk to me about 1mbs..
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:02:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By IcarusY625:

WE used to live in 'ole 'int road.....and every night our father would come 'ome and whack us wi' big leather belt whether we needed it or not...........so don't talk to me about 1mbs..

Youse had roads? Luxury. Wu never had nee roads in Waallsend when ah wis a bairn.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:08:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By Wapinschaw_Shooter:

Youse had roads? Luxury. Wu never had nee roads in Waallsend when ah wis a bairn.

Barin? Oh, wu used tah dreum abat havin a barin.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:44:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lancair:

Barin? Oh, wu used tah dreum abat havin a barin.

You can get arrested for that you know................well probably not over there

lost in translation springs to mind
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:26:37 AM EST
My first dial up connection was at the 'awesome' speed of 1,200k…
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:17:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:
My first dial up connection was at the 'awesome' speed of 1,200k…

I have forgotten what my first dial up speed was, must have been very slow in comparison to the DSL broadband that I have today the DSL1000 which is 10/100Mbps is due to be replaced with DSL2000 in the near future.

I'm saving for a new toy, devious grin, it is not a GSG, to many fiddly screws etc., but a grey thing that was designed by someone from/in Israel, I think in the late 1950's and it's in 9mm.

BTW., my team membership is due to run out and when I tried to extend it my visa was refused, because the visa and the US address that I used didn't correspond?!? Anyone got any Ideas???

Tony
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:14:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By toemag:
I'm saving for a new toy, devious grin, it is not a GSG, to many fiddly screws etc., but a grey thing that was designed by someone from/in Israel, I think in the late 1950's and it's in 9mm.

Gotta be an Uzi...

Still got my dads one hanging on the wall... but unfortunately its been de-act since 1989...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:17:35 AM EST

Still got my dads one hanging on the wall... but unfortunately its been de-act since 1989...

So where did you come from then
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:32:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 11:36:46 AM EST by Scope-eye]

BTW., my team membership is due to run out and when I tried to extend it my visa was refused, because the visa and the US address that I used didn't correspond?!? Anyone got any Ideas???

Tony

My visa went OK last month, so I'm guessing it's some dodgy european thing you've got.
Either that or you haven't told your credit card company you're trying to buy stuff in the States.

or use Paypal if that's still possible.

Oh and up until the World Tour, I was using a dial-up connection, and all the crap advertising at the top of the page caused the old broadband to lose sync and the dial-up to not even bother with the page (even ARFcom-lite failed to load).

Now I have a brand new, all shiney BT half-meg line. It sucks being so far from the exchange. But on the plus side you all have the pleasure of my company again.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:34:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By timlad07:

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:36:05 AM EST

Fortunately enough i'm an '88 vintage
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:53:49 AM EST

That explains the '89 de-act then
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:26:22 PM EST

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:53:28 PM EST

four yorkshiremen monty python, you tell young people that today, they'll won't believe you
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:44:01 PM EST
My Visa has worked in the past when buying things from the US, I just don't quite understand it.

As to the uzi, it'll be the Norinco copy, as I can't find an IMI version or even a converted M2, and the best thing is they cost about €700, having said that they are doing Tommy guns for about €1,000. All semi auto.

Okay I'm off to work.

Tony
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:50:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

Now I have a brand new, all shiney BT half-meg line. It sucks being so far from the exchange. But on the plus side you all have the pleasure of my company again.

I live 7km (as the cable runs) from the exchange and despite being told I would never have DSL it usually connects at 1.2-1.5 and runs at just under a meg.

Have been to Tony's (Toemag) place I'm impressed that DTAG prvide ethernet in a quiet village - must be something to do with being willing to invest for the long term!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:02:34 PM EST

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:00:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By nick624:

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

I live 7km (as the cable runs) from the exchange and despite being told I would never have DSL it usually connects at 1.2-1.5 and runs at just under a meg.

Have been to Tony's (Toemag) place I'm impressed that DTAG prvide ethernet in a quiet village - must be something to do with being willing to invest for the long term!

Well I'm 7 miles from the exchange and it's pretty noisy on the line.
If I was on the exchange of my postal town (like those lucky bastards on the other side of the road) I'll only be 3 miles from the exchange. BT won't do it. So I'm stuck with half a meg, when they un-cap it it runs at about 1.5 meg and then drops/loses sync. The line's been known to drop more than a 100 times in 10 minutes. Now it's capped at half a meg and is finally reliable.
Top Top