Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/7/2018 2:24:53 PM EDT
What is this? Is it law or just a bill?

From Fox News:

Zero Hedge reported, “Assembly Bill 1668 is where it gets personal. This establishes limits on indoor water usage for every person in California and the amount allowed will decrease even further over the next 12 years. ‘The bill, until January 1, 2025, would establish 55 gallons per capita daily as the standard for indoor residential water use, beginning January 1, 2025, would establish the greater of 52.5 gallons per capita daily or a standard recommended by the department and the board as the standard for indoor residential water use, and beginning January 1, 2030, would establish the greater of 50 gallons per capita daily or a standard recommended by the department and the board as the standard for indoor residential water use …’”
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:21:59 PM EDT
Check out these two threads in GD from the last week or so...
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2018 12:01:52 AM EDT by Trollslayer]
General Discussion = more chaff than wheat and not worth my time for serious issues.

For me, 55 gallons per person per day would be a 75% reduction in my water use. We don't waste water, either.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:28:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2018 11:30:01 AM EDT by Trollslayer]
Although my water usage is four times this new standard, I am at my current water conservation goal. As I said, we do not waste water, at least not very much.

I think, and have thought this for a very long time, that California would do well to allow people to irrigate their ornamental gardens with effluent from washing machines and (possibly) showers. There is a concern about bacterial contamination but putting washing machine effluent into an ornamental garden should not be a problem.

I am talking about "grey water" not "brown water".

I would guess this reuse of waste water would save about 25-50% of my water use. However, it is currently illegal to do so.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 1:17:22 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Although my water usage is four times this new standard, I am at my current water conservation goal. As I said, we do not waste water, at least not very much.

I think, and have thought this for a very long time, that California would do well to allow people to irrigate their ornamental gardens with effluent from washing machines and (possibly) showers. There is a concern about bacterial contamination but putting washing machine effluent into an ornamental garden should not be a problem.

I am talking about "grey water" not "brown water".

I would guess this reuse of waste water would save about 25-50% of my water use. However, it is currently illegal to do so.
View Quote
Nor is it easily done. Rerouting shower and washing machine gray water ain't the easiest thing to do...
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 5:58:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2018 6:07:26 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
Nor is it easily done. Rerouting shower and washing machine gray water ain't the easiest thing to do...
View Quote
Because my home is on a raised foundation, it would actually be quite easy to do. All the drain and waste lines are readily accessible beneath the house.

I would want a hidden (buried) storage tank, so digging the hole would be the worst part of the work. The tanks are inexpensive. If the tanks fills, an overflow connection re-routes/diverts the excess back into the normal waster water path.

I can use an electric pump from the tank out into the irrigation system.

I have a large, very steep hillside that would use the waste water to maintain the sod and plants (it has no food crops). Those plants and trees ensure the stability of the hill during the winter rains, when they come.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:20:56 PM EDT
You've given this some thought...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:53:37 PM EDT
Wow just wow....

My sympathy to you guys in CA.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:32:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:37:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:51:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2018 1:52:12 AM EDT by Trollslayer]
Truth!

The emergency spillway needed to be at least as well made (or better) than the regular spillway because, if it was ever used, it would be an EMERGENCY!

California is FUCKED UP!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2018 8:27:09 PM EDT by HDLS]
How will they know how many people are living in my home?

What if I’m renting out rooms or hosting “immigrants” or homeless?

What about water for pets?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:58:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HDLS:
View Quote
These people are communists. They will already have a dossier on you and everyone in your home. If you want more than allowed via the last census, you will have to provide additional information regarding the residents.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:46:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HDLS:

What if I'm renting out rooms or hosting "immigrants" or homeless?

What about water for pets?
View Quote
How much water do we use per day and how about watering the outside.

I have a pool, this will get expensive

I like the idea of "renting" to immigrants, wondering what the rules are?
Top Top